News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RAMM'D 150

Started by SixGun, September 25, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

Quote from: crazzywolfie on January 30, 2013, 09:04:51 PM
i also think the radiator for the v6 should be the same size as the v8 radiator.

That's good to know.  I have a new radiator that I bought for the V6 that works really well.  Ryan gave me the radiator for it just in case.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

i know i saw you mention it over on DF so i figure i would mention it. i know rockauto show the same radiator for both engines. i also learned this when i stuck the v6 rad support from my 91 on my 81 and the radiator bolt right up.

rjtx667

I thought the radiator I gave you was for the 383? :icon_scratch:

LOL either way at least you have parts that will work  :13:

I did notice a difference between the V6 and V8 as well. I sure hope you like the power difference once your done.

I think I forgot to give you the spare injector I bought for it too. Once I find it I can mail it down maybe. It all currently work but never hurts to have spares.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

In any event, I will use the radiator for the 383. Should work fine.  The only AC on that vehicle will be the removable top.   :thumbsup:

Scrubbed the engine bay this morning before work but the motor will have to wait a few days or end of cleaning it in the dark.   :nono:

I'm gonna try Super Clean product on the motor.  It is displayed next to Simple Green and is a little stronger.  It's biodegradeable like Simple Green but you need to wear gloves.  It's about half the price.  If it cleans really well, I might shoot some black on the motor again and either aluminum or steel on the valve covers.   I thought about doing red on the valves covers but might look a little cheesy.  It's amazing what accumulates under all the wiring.  There was a lot of leaves.   ???  Were you growing a garden under the hood Ryan?  :laughing7:

rjtx667

Quote from: SixGun on February 01, 2013, 12:36:57 AM
  It's amazing what accumulates under all the wiring.  There was a lot of leaves.   ???  Were you growing a garden under the hood Ryan?  :laughing7:

That was the PO.... and maybe a little from RJ.

When I got the truck there was mud from the kid wheeling it EVERYWHERE. It took me a long time to get it all cleaned out.

Clean/ degrease and paint the engine, it should look good. Not sure why red would look bad? Its the color of your truck!
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Wow, that Super Clean does a real good job and a lot cheaper than Simple Green.  The TBI looks like brand new again.  I covered the TBI and distributer, removed the alternator and taped off some areas.  Gonna let it dry over night and hopefully have enough daylight tommorrow for paint.  Decided to go ahead with the black and red.  Thanks Ryan. 

So tempted to paint the engine compartment but don't want to create a giant project.  The body color is red but if I go with black, I won't have to remove so much.  I can just paint right over the wire looms, wiper motor, heater blower and save a heck of a lot of time.  It's no show truck so won't hurt it's looks but may help a little.  What do you think guys.

crazzywolfie

well since you got the engine out it would be a great time to do some painting. i think black would be good under the hood. don't want too much red. plus it should look good for a while with new paint. i don't know if you saw sls001 thread on RCC but you might get a few painting idea's if  you browse through it. he has done a lot of paint to everything on his truck.
http://ramchargercentral.com/projects/my-1988-w-150-to-w-350-more-project/

rjtx667

The 2000 Ramcharger was factory black, and we left the engine compartment that color, same with the 91 which was white and the engine bay is now black.

we need pics of the engine now  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I worked most of today and just had time to scrub the valve covers with steel wool before it got dark.  There are still a few tough areas that will need to be wire wheeled. 

So black it is for the engine compartment.  I think it will look a lot better that way.  I need to make some splash guards for the engine compartment.  That would really tidy it up and keep all the mud out.

I don't know how it went bad ( ha ha...) but I need to change out the upper ball joint on the driver's side.  I figured I would just do some preventative maintenance and both uppers and both lowers at the same time.  I had a ball joint socket from when I did the front end on my GTX but I noticed that the socket isn't big enough for the truck.  I'm pretty sure I bought it from Snap On tools then and it was $50 or so.  Anyone know where to get one cheaper?  :icon_scratch:  I might just check out Autozone and see if they have a loaner.

rjtx667

loaner tool or harbor freight  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

:happy3:  paint paint paint....

Still need to paint the valve covers red and maybe the air cleaner too.

rjtx667

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

might have gone a bit overboard with the black :laughing7:. can't wait to see it with the red valve cover. also what type of paint did you use. i know i want to try painting my exhaust manifolds again because the paint i used failed pretty quick. i am thinking about trying the same engine enamel that i used on my valve covers. it has lasted pretty good.

SixGun

I bought some gloss black Rustoleum engine enamel from Home Depot.  Says it's gas and oil resistant up to 500*.  I'm sure the exhaust manifolds will burn off eventually or turn white.  I saw some VHT extreme high temp paint for the exhaust manifolds at Advance Auto Parts good to I think it was 1200*.  Thought about it but saw the price at $10 a can and said YEOWCH!  I kinda like the shiny black.

crazzywolfie

i have slowly learned that the bit extra money is worth it sometimes. i used high heat BBQ paint on my manifolds and it did not last very long and it was rated for 1200°F. i think the better paint with ceramic is what would make the paint last longer.