News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RAMM'D 150

Started by SixGun, September 25, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

I have the old ones but they don't fit anymore since the body lift.  Need a material similar - durable but flexible to cut some out using the originals as templates stretched 3".
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

maybe you can find a truck shop and see if they got any old big rig trailer mud flaps lying around that they might be willing to get rid of for free or cheap. i think the mud flaps off a trailer might be big enough. i know they should be heavy enough.

workgoats

You should find an old factory type air cleaner that will fit and store it somewhere.  If you ever decide to run and play in the mud the one on your engine will be a problem, allowing water into the engine.  You can put the good looking one back on after you wash the mud off the engine. :sunny:

SixGun

Ron, it's funny that you mention that because I was thinking about using the old air cleaner from a 68 383 motor.  It covers the sides and breathes from straight down so mud or water wouldn't hit the filter.

crazzywolfie

i think if you ditched the mechanical fan for some electric fans so you would not have to worry about it as much. the mechanical fan is the thing that seems to do all the splashing and getting the mud everywhere. 

workgoats

Quote from: crazzywolfie on February 17, 2013, 10:29:53 PM
i think if you ditched the mechanical fan for some electric fans so you would not have to worry about it as much. the mechanical fan is the thing that seems to do all the splashing and getting the mud everywhere.

I don't think you understand how they drive down here in Texas.  At RamJam 2009 I spent hours helping get the water out of engines and mud off the air cleaners of the other guys.  I didn't drive that way because, "Hold my beer and watch this!" doesn't work when you have to drive home what you brung.

I saw one 318 completely full of water.  We pulled the plugs and when he cranked it over it looked like a football field irrigation system.  We put a dry ballast resistor back on it, replaced the plugs and he drove it in all the events we had.  Even won the timed trail race.  He did go the a hardware store and bought tin to wrap the air cleaner though.

SixGun

True to a degree Mat.  As you can see in the pic, the shroud protected a lot of the blowing mud.  The tires spinning the mud up into the gaps did most of the mud painting.  All under the truck looked that way.  Heck the outside of the fenders were covered and the fan didn't do that.  LOL   :laughing7:

crazzywolfie

ya. i guess a electric fan would only help so much. definitely need an enclosed filter and something between the wheel well and frame to keep the mud out. i know with all the snow we had i was having to dig it out from under the hood since i have the one piece missing. 

trailduster.dave

Quote from: workgoats on February 17, 2013, 10:36:28 PM
I don't think you understand how they drive down here in Texas.  At RamJam 2009 I spent hours helping get the water out of engines and mud off the air cleaners of the other guys.  I didn't drive that way because, "Hold my beer and watch this!" doesn't work when you have to drive home what you brung.

I saw one 318 completely full of water.  We pulled the plugs and when he cranked it over it looked like a football field irrigation system.  We put a dry ballast resistor back on it, replaced the plugs and he drove it in all the events we had.  Even won the timed trail race.  He did go the a hardware store and bought tin to wrap the air cleaner though.

and just what do you mean "the way they drive in Texas???" haha
24DB Touring Car "Esther"
48NewYorker Coupe "Eleanor"
39Ply Clb Coupe "Lesley"
50Ply Business Coupe
76RC 400/435 60f/70r "DDs Revenge"
77CJ7 D44s 4.56 36s"Stanley"
78TD Stock
79RC "Washer"
79TD "Bob"
85Crewcab 360/nv4500
88Shelby Z 2.2 Turbo 5spd
87Suburban 6dr 454 T400 205 D44f/14 Bolt Dually 4.10

rjtx667

Quote from: trailduster.dave on February 18, 2013, 08:48:37 PM
and just what do you mean "the way they drive in Texas???" haha

He explained that earlier... it was the "Hold my beer and watch this!"

its a bit vague but does describe a good bit of what goes on.  :laughing7:  :victory:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Hit a few snags.   :(  The V6 bracket for the kickdown linkage does not fit the V8 so it's off to the boneyard for one.  The exhaust manifolds are too big for the Y pipe inlet cones so I am taking one to a muffler shop to see if they can replace them with larger ones.   Had to replace some broken vacuum lines and repair the busted ground strap. ON the other hand, wiring seems to be going well.   Still need to drill the radiator support 3" lower for the body lift and change the O2 sensor.

Should be raining all day tomorrow.  So back at it on Thursday hopefully.

rjtx667

Quote from: SixGun on February 20, 2013, 01:17:00 AM
Hit a few snags.   :(  The V6 bracket for the kickdown linkage does not fit the V8 so it's off to the boneyard for one.  The exhaust manifolds are too big for the Y pipe inlet cones so I am taking one to a muffler shop to see if they can replace them with larger ones.   Had to replace some broken vacuum lines and repair the busted ground strap.

have no doubt I busted a vacuum line or two  :evil6: did not think I messed up a ground strap  :icon_scratch:

And I thought I gave you the kickdown linkage for it, or are you talking about on the tranny?  Maybe its still in my garage someone  :dontknow:

Gald your making progress.  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I'll double check my box of goodies but it is the bracket that bolts to the last 2 bolts on the intake manifold on the driver's side.

The ground strap was no biggie but I was worried about the vacuum lines.  I pulled the 3 into 1 line that was broken and replaced it from my motor. 

I should have known better about the Y-pipe.  Sucks but I'll check for a correct one when I'm looking for bracket.  There's a 2nd Pick-n-Pull that I may check out if the one I frequent doesn't have it.  I just don't like it cause it's not organized by make.  Just all trucks in this big area so you have to walk them all.  Needle in a haystack so to speak.

It's gonna happen, just working through it bit by bit.   :thumbsup:

rjtx667

well let me look through my piles again and let you know if I find anything.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Well the trip to pick-n-pull was a success.   :13:

I picked up the correct kickdown linkage, heat insulator tubes for the plug boots, a longer transmission cooler line to fit around the larger oil pan, a second horn, and a Y-pipe with the correct diameter collector. 

The V8 kickdown linkage is a 1 pc rod that pivots at the plate that bolts to the driver's side of the TBI.  The V6 kickdown is a 2 pc rod set that pivots at a bracket that bolts to the intake manifold and a plate that bolts to the driver's side of the tranny. 

The Y-pipe was off a 93 Dakota with a V8.  It fit a little more snug and connected more traditionally in a Y rather than the over and under design of the Ram 1500 Y-pipe.  Probably because of the tighter clearance of a Dakota.  It did have a clearance issue with the column shift linkage but a 3ft cheater bar and some elbow grease gave me about a good inch to spare.

Here's some pics: