News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RAMM'D 150

Started by SixGun, September 25, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

looks like good progress, you get to turn the key yet?  :headbang:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

someone mentioned using magnum manifold and a dakota y-pipe but i didn't understand till now. is that 3" pipe? almost looks like the y-pipe on my 93.

SixGun

Quote from: rjtx667 on February 22, 2013, 10:11:56 PM
looks like good progress, you get to turn the key yet?  :headbang:
Not yet   :'(  I just put the Y-pipe on as it got dark today.  Need to drill the new radiator mounts 3" lower still.  Still brainstorming how to since bolt heads for the condensor are in the way.   I probably will drill from the front side of the radiator support all the way through the radiator flanges while mounted in place for the condensor since it can't be lowered.   The new Y-pipe will allow me to put the deep pan on the tranny that I've been wanting to install. While the pan is off I'll put the new longer trans cooler line.   Then of course fill the fluids and have a connecting pipe welded on exhaust.  Oh yeah, once the radiator is in place, I can put the grille and front bumper back on.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

Glad I am not the only one that suffers from scope creep  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

With a little finagling I was able to use the condensor bolts and holes to mount the radiator.  This puts the radiator only 2.5" lower instead of 3" so with a trial fit tomorrow hopefully the half inch won't create any interference with the shroud to fan clearance.  Maybe some  minimal trimming at the most - I hope. 

crazzywolfie

if you had electric fans you wouldn't have to worry about that.

SixGun

Someday Mat... someday in the not so distant future.  But with the way I research new items, it means more time and more money.  I spend hours upon hours reading about something before I actually decide which one to go with.  Too many variables pullers, pushers, cfm, single, dual .....   :confused2:

crazzywolfie

i just got a dual fan setup out of a 2000 caravan in my 81 almost looks like it came from the factory with them. picked it up with a power distribution center at the local junk yard for $40. at the time $40 was worth the gamble especially when you compare it to some of those $200+ setups some people buy. 

SixGun

Now see, I live in a very hot climate and how do I know if a fan setup for a V6 minivan will work on a hard working fullsize truck with a V8.

crazzywolfie

i think one day you might have to take the gamble. 77440Wagon on RCC got a dual electric fan setup off a 2005 caravan and he said they cool his 440 better than the 3000cfm fan he had before.

SixGun

crazzywolfie

i don't think i would want to run those ford fans. they don't cover enough area and there is only one of them. if it fails you may be left with  no fan. with the dual fan setup you always have at least one fan that can pull air. plus i think those ford fans draw a crap load of power. i don't know exactly how much power the caravan fan draws but i guessed they draw about 20 together while running. i know i have not burned up any relays yet with it yet.

rjtx667

I don't see an update here?  :icon_scratch:

I know he got it started but had issues with the v8 computer. He started it on the V6 computer and was going to look into the v8 computer.

It worked when I pulled it so I have no clue  :dontknow:

hope you get it working, but at least it started one way or another
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

workgoats

I have a couple of 1990 computers.  One came off of a D150 and the other came off of a D 350.  As far as I can tell they are the same.  Both were on 360s. 

SixGun

Well, like Ryan said, the computer that he gave me shit the bed.  I looked up the part number and it was for a 91 318/ 4spd auto/ federal emissions.  My truck is running the 3spd auto and is the only difference.  There was no click or anything electronic working with the exception of the hazards.  I checked grounds, all the wiring and the fuse block but nothing seemed out of place.  I got a wild hair and changed out the computer and put the V6 back in and wa-la it started up right away.  Really loud without the exhaust hooked up.  Purred smoothly at 1000 rpm.  I want to take it to the exhaust shop in the morning hopefully.

I talked to a few parts houses and they said that BWD and A-1 Cardone don't make my application of computer anymore even though they show part numbers for it.  Don't know if there is any truth to that yet.