News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RAMM'D 150

Started by SixGun, September 25, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

Forgot to mention that I found out my step bars had apparently hit the underside of the cab right behind the front tires on both sides from the last outing.  I discovered this from all the crawling under the truck with this swap.  I might remove them for the next play date.  Yolanda is gonna hate that.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

SixGun

Okay, so this bitch is freaking me out.   :017:  I have the computer dangling out onto the inner fender to easily swap computers.  I figured I would give it once more chance before mounting it back in it's cubby.  I put the V8 ecu back on just because it was bothering the shit outta me.  What the hell, it starts now.  Don't know why or what was different but happy none the less.  Swabbed some dialectic grease on it and slapped it back on. 

Hopefully, this is not the start of something freaky.  Oh oh.... did I say that out loud??   :sign0137:

rjtx667

glad it is working, I was wondering if it was not making good contact. been unplugged for a while.

when you going to the exhaust shop?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Just came inside to grab a bite to eat.  Been working on coffee all morning.   :035:

Figured I better update before everyone starts shipping me computers from all over. LOL  Glad I didn't buy one yet - funny how that worked out.  Hopefully the 3spd vs 4spd auto doesn't create an issue.  Doubt it though. 

Before I tried the ecu, I actually had mounted the front bumper with Yolanda's muscles to help me out.  It had the winch mounted on it so it was HEAVY.  If I had waited about 15 minutes later, my brother-in-law showed up to invite us for BBQ this afternoon and he could've helped me.  I was invited to go to a car show by Medina Lake with Danger Dave.  It is from 2-5pm.    What to do??  Grille, lights, last of the wiring all done except for the tranny line.  Got more fluid but need to get a gasket.  Forgot that I used the one in the kit already.  The old line reaches the radiator but goes underneath the oil pan instead of around it.  Details details....

workgoats

Do you want the computers that I have.  One came on a 518 and the other came on a 435.  Both should run a on an engine with a 727.  The price is right...

ernestgonzales78@gmail.com

Glade everything is going good now Richard. Computers sometimes have there troubling moments. it might have just been a bad connection like Ryan was saying.
76 F100 4X4 FORD (AKA MISTRESS)
86 3/4 ton 4X4 CHEVY
07 3500 DODGE FLATBED (TOY HAULER)

SixGun

Decided to drive out to the country and see Dave and the car show in the afternoon.  Then we drove back in for BBQ dinner at the inlaws.  Some pics of the car show in another thread on "Other Outings".

http://ramcharger.net/index.php/topic,125.0.html

rjtx667

Quote from: SixGun on March 02, 2013, 10:54:19 PM
Decided to drive out to the country and see Dave and the car show in the afternoon.  Then we drove back in for BBQ dinner at the inlaws.  Some pics of the car show in another thread.

you drive the 91? without exhaust everyone could hear you coming  :evil6:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Well let me tell you a little story.  I had driven it to the exhaust shop about a week ago (?) that I went to for my original exhaust because he did such a nice job on it and it is really pretty close.  I didn't want to drive too far without exhaust.  You never know if a Sheriff deputy will let that go or not.  Rather spend the money on the truck instead of a ticket.  So anyways, I was told that the guy doesn't work there anymore and no one was there to do some exhaust work.  Funny because it is "ANTS Muffler and Tire Shop".  So I guess it is just a tire shop now.  LOL   It is a family business and the lady that runs it referred me to another exhaust shop across the freeway about 5 miles away. 

However, there is a Midas on the same side of the freeway as I was but I had to cut through some back neighborhoods to get there.  I've done some really nice custom work at another Midas before and reasonable too.  Well this dick wanted $90 to connect a foot of pipe.  I told him that I had the whole exhaust done for $100.  He said that the pipe comes in 8ft lengths and he would have to cut one and so he would have to charge me for the whole length.  What a load of BS.  I told him never mind and off I went for the long trip to the other place.

I pull out on the access road and accelerate and all of a sudden it started to sputter and I thought that maybe I was running out of gas.  Remember, my gas gauge doesn't work.  Real quick like I pull into the next gas station and as I start to go around the pump it dies out.  Oh crap I ran out of gas.  I tried to push it the 5ft to the pump but it started rolling in the wrong direction.  I sat in the truck for a minute and thought maybe I could restart it on fumes. VAROOM ... I pulled forward and cut it off. Phew, that was close. 

I kept thinking about the possibility of it not being gas.  I figured I better not chance it and get stranded farther from home.  I thought about going the back roads again but figured it would be faster on the access road.  I gave it a little test on the back roads first and it would cut out at the stop signs.  That's it, I'm going for broke and pull out on the access road and it sputtered all the way home.  Sounded like vroo - vroo- vroo as I gave it gas.  I was jerking and sputtering all the way.  I finally got home and let it sit for a few days stumped. 

A couple of things came to mind.  O2 sensor was right at the end of the Y-pipe and may be causing it or dirty injector or air in the line from being disconnected.   Did some measuring and discovered that I need to go from a 3" collector down to a 2.5" pipe at the CAT.  Just needed 10" to connect but at a curve left and down.  Found a 3" exhaust turn down tip with a 45* angle and a reducer connection from 3" to 2.5" with a gradual slope and 2 each 3" clamps.  All for $16.  A cutoff wheel is my favorite tool.  I actually had to shorten it.  Lop ... chop and away we go.  Here's some pics of the finished product.  It will still need some welding specifically at the connection to the CAT but it is quiet and saved a lot of money.  I also bought some Restore fuel injection system cleaner.  Hopefully this will fix it.  I had my injectors professionally cleaned on the other TBI so I could swap them out if needed.  Anyone know if O2 sensors for V6 vs V8 are different.  I'm also concerned that I may have crunched the sensor when I cheater bar straightened the Y-pipe.  Will find out for sure with test drive.   :steeringwheel:

rjtx667

man nothing is ever easy.

I have one new injector if you need that. you might also check the wires on the passenger side. I had an issue where one grounds out after it got hot and it was for an injector... would not run on 1 injector for me.

hope it starts behaving for you soon
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Funny cause I looked inside the TBI while running and both injectors seem to be spraying but the pass side seemed to be stronger than the driver's side.  When you are talking about grounded wire, are you specifically talking about the wire to the injector or harness on the pass side?  Did you ever find the short?  I noticed on the harness that there was a melted spot on the pass side tubing before I installed it.  This was on the back of the motor.  May need to check there first. 

I tried going on a drive a little while ago and before I even got to the end of the street it was acting up.  So it didn't have to get hot this time.  I pulled all the plugs and gap and they are good.  I also checked the timing and it was good also.  Some of the wires looked chewed up so I may replace them with 8mm since I am using the MSD blaster coil anyways.  I have the 8mm wires on the V6 but I will need 2 extra wires.  I wonder if they sell just 2. 

workgoats

You do know that you can get a much better idea on what the injectors are doing by looking at them with a timing light.  You should be able to see an identifiable pattern with the strobe of the timing light.

SixGun

Thanks Ron, I had heard that you should be able to look at the spray patterns with a light.   I tried a flashlight, 60 watt and flourescent lights but could only see where it hit the throttle plates.

Ryan, come to think of it.  I remember the harness to the O2 was freshly wrapped.  Any problems there?

rjtx667

do you have any codes? Ron has my red brick that could help a bit maybe too.

yes that little melted area was my issue... it touched my header lol
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

So I checked codes and came up with 12/ 45/ 22/ 21/ 55.

12=> memory standby power lost
45=> overdrive circuit fault
22=> coolant temp sensor circuit fault
21=> oxygen sensor circuit fault
55=> end

12 from disconnected battery and 45 from running a 3spd tranny without overdrive

Concerns are the oxygen sensor and surprisingly the coolant temp sensor circuits.  I took the known good temp sensor from the V6.  As far as the O2 sensor, I don't have another to replace with.  I really feel that the O2 is at fault either with the wiring or the sensor itself.  I had already installed the sensor in the Y-pipe and was using a 3 ft cheater bar to bend the pipe into shape and may have inadvertantly damaged it.  BUT I noticed that the wiring harness to the O2 has been re-wrapped and lengthened considerably.  Going to take it apart tommorrow in the daylight (gotta love daylight savings) and fix any damaged sections.  It should drop down behind the motor but it runs all the way to the front driver's side and across alt and down the frame rail to the O2 on the pass side currently.  So may just shorten it.  If that doesn't fix it then I will pick up a new one.