News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RAMM'D 150

Started by SixGun, September 25, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

that looks like a pretty good little compressor. i know it is a pretty good brand name. have you possibly looked at air tool sets? i know my friend gave me a cheap set of coleman air tools and i haven't had anything break yet. mine has impact gun with some impact socket, air ratchet, die grinder, air chisel, couple different air blower things and other bits and pieces for use with the tools. 
this is what the kit that was given to me looks like. i think i have used all the tools at one time or another.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/coleman-powermate-air-tool-value-pack-62-pc/136854.ip

rjtx667

5cfm @90 psi is pretty good  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Has anyone used speed bleeder valves before??  I just got a set of four in.  Sounds too good to be true.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-639590
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

never used them, but for what those cost you can buy the pneumatic brake bleeder from harbor freight and use it on multiple cars... it does work good.  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

If I'm reading it correctly, all I need to do it loosen them, pump the brake and then tighten them up.  It's a one-way valve.  Heck, for less than $20 I got all 4 speed bleeder valves and they are name brand.  Russel and Earl's both carry them.  Cost less than a good bleeder tool.

crazzywolfie

but you could use the bleeder tool on all your vehicles including your ramcharger whenever you get around to doing the brakes on it.

rjtx667

Quote from: SixGun on April 15, 2013, 12:05:05 PM
If I'm reading it correctly, all I need to do it loosen them, pump the brake and then tighten them up.  It's a one-way valve.  Heck, for less than $20 I got all 4 speed bleeder valves and they are name brand.  Russel and Earl's both carry them.  Cost less than a good bleeder tool.

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html

what 5 buxs less?  :tongue3:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

:thumbsup:  Upper and lower ball joints installed today.  Used the new compressor and impact gun.  Love it and saved a lot of time.  No way those upper ball joints were gonna come out without it.  Used Moog Problem Solver upper ball joints with gusher bearings and AC Delco Advantage lowers.  The Moog's really look HD in comparison to the stock units and they better @ $100 for the pair.  I don't want to have to change them again ever.  LOL

I actually had bought some McQuay uppers on clearance from RockAuto but the bolt was too big and didn't fit the hole on the knuckle.  They were supposed to fit 3300lb axles like mine but nope.  Thought about getting them opened up by a machine shop but changed my mind.  So if anyone needs the 1ton upper ball joints let me know.  Pay shipping and they are yours.

So now, just about all the front suspension is new.  New inner and outer tie rods, new center link, new idler arm, new upper and lower ball joints and new sway bar bushings and endlinks, new shocks, and new coils.   

Hmmmm... brakes next.  I did notice that one front caliper is different than the other.  But that's another story.  :sleepy:

rjtx667

sounds like lots of work. You going to get to come down and test of any it?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Friday is out of the question but Saturday is a possibility and may just be for that day and drive back that night.  At what time do they lock us in on Saturday?

On a side note, I broke the door handle button on the driver's side.  I won't have any time to get another this week.  Sucks.... I have to go through the passenger side.

Bigger issue right now is the passenger side rear brake adjuster is not cooperating.  When I return the ball joint remover/ installer in a few minutes to Autozone, hopefully I can get some replacement parts.  I'm just gonna switch out all the related parts like the adjuster screw, lever, cable, lever spring and guide.  When I put the bigger tires back on, I checked the brakes again and the cable was off the guide.  It gave me no tension on the parking brake.  Drum brakes are a pain in the butt.   :disgust:

rjtx667

I have a spare door handle (if your talking about the outside one) that if I can remember I will bring down.

If its the inside I think I have a spare one of those too, just have to track them down in the mess  :laughing7:

Good news (maybe) is that I got the permit for my storage building... bad news is I now have to build it then organize lol
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Are you talking about a permit from the HOA for a storage building?  I had built mine and somehow they found out about it and wanted me to tear it down and then apply for a permit.  Hell no... did the application and it was approved thankfully.  Way too many screws and labor went into it to take it down.   :nono:

I got after the rear brakes tonight after work and adjuster looks good.  Bled the brakes and lubed the truck.  Still had a little daylight so I figured on taking out the door handle (outer) and rigging something up until I could replace it.  However, as I was removing the inside nuts through the vent in the door jamb, I dropped the rachet with socket.  I tried to use a pick up tool and dropped that inside.  Arrrrrg... said to heck with it and removed the whole door panel.  What a PITA that was but on the good side I found that I just needed to drill out a small broken screw.  Threaded it and yeehaw I fixed it.  Now I have all the door panel junk all over the cab but that is another day there.  It got cold and dark on me.  The one thing I didn't get to do that I really wanted was skirting the engine compartment to keep out the mud.  Bought some aluminum rolls but it's just getting too close. 

Looked at my schedule and I'm closing on Friday night which means getting off about 930pm.  Gonna do our best to be there Saturday as early as possible.  Shouldn't have to pack much since we will be heading back that night unfortunately.  Got to work on Sunday.  :crybaby2:

rjtx667

yeah I had to get a permit from my HOA and then from the City  :icon_scratch:  :dontknow:

everyone wants $$ I guess

I still have yet to pack, and have more work to do on the 93... don't feel bad my door panel is off on the driver side still  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Out on the trails, I discovered some clunking noises like something was loose.  Wasn't anything visible but I still need to change the control arm bushings from my long list of to do items.  I can see the uppers are dry rotted.  This project is going to the top of the list now.  I had a bad experience with polyurethane bushings squeaking in the past.  Moog offers a silent version.  Gonna give them a try.  I can't see them but I just have a feeling that the lowers are gonna be minus all the rubber.

SixGun

Been working on changing out the control arm bushings upper and lowers. WHEW.... spent most of the day yesterday in the heat.  I went to harbor freight for a ball joint removal tool $20 that won't damage the grease caps like a pickle fork.  The temp gauge in the car said 102*.  Last trip to harbor freight, I picked up a 1 ton arbor press for this job on sale for $49. I was quoted $200 per side at a shop just for labor.  With parts and tools I'm in a little over $100.  Pretty good savings.  It was hard work and I'm not done yet since it got dark on me and the skeeters came out to feed. Heading out in a few to get it finished up hopefully.  The first side is usually the hardest.  I did have to use a cheater bar on the press handle and finding an item to press into and was strong enough to handle the pressure was a challenge.  I crushed a few items before finding something suitable.  The heavy plate provided with the arbor press did not have an opening large enough.  I just hope this cures the clunking noise I had at HF a few weeks ago.  Needed it anyways, these 22 year old rubber bushings were brittle and crumbling as I pressed them out.

Well, off I go.... to infinity and beyond.   ???