News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RAMM'D 150

Started by SixGun, September 25, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

some say you can burn them out too, but I have never tried that.

I cut out the ones in the durango when I did it.... next time I want to buy the whole control arm if it does not cost too much  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Well the arbor press shit the bed.   :angry4:

It was useless on the lower control arms anyway but I was able to pound them out with a BFH fairly easy.  Luckily, I was just finishing the last upper control arm when it bit the dust.  I broke that puppy all the way across the support arm where connects to the base.  However the little ball joint separator worked like a charm.  Nifty lil gadget.

When I took off the shock boots a whole bunch of water came out.  Now I wonder how that got in there????    :dontknow:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

SixGun

Even though the Harbor Freight arbor press looks HD and feels HD it is junk.  Check out these pics showing it's massive failure.  In addition, the collar to hold the gear snapped when tightening the allen set screw and I bent the handle.  Some of you guys might say that I should have used a hydralic shop press but the FSM said to use an arbor press so that's what I did.  Figured it was mobile and could take it to do u-joints in the field if needed.  Lesson learned LOL.

The War Wagon

Harbor Freight?!?!  :tard:

Isn't that, the English translation for "CRAP-O-LA" from Chinese?
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

SixGun

It's hit and miss with their stuff.  I've had an engine hoist and engine stand that I still use from them for 20 years now.  3 ton floor jack and angle grinder have worked flawlessly for a couple of years now.  We have a Northern tools here also and they seem to have some of the same tools.  On a budget, you do what you can afford.  On the good side, I finished the control arms and returned it for a full refund.   :evil6:

ernestgonzales78@gmail.com

Glade to hear u finished with out blowing a gasket. Now u are learning what a mechanic goes through. And now u know why some charge so much.
76 F100 4X4 FORD (AKA MISTRESS)
86 3/4 ton 4X4 CHEVY
07 3500 DODGE FLATBED (TOY HAULER)

crazzywolfie

cheap tools made 20 years are a lot better quality then the cheap garbage made today.

SixGun

Quote from: chicken-little78 on May 19, 2013, 10:40:10 PM
Glade to hear u finished with out blowing a gasket. Now u are learning what a mechanic goes through. And now u know why some charge so much.

I understand why they charge so much.  It's their bread and butter and my time is free since it's not my primary vehicle.  The problem is paying them for their time is taking away from my bread and butter.   :violent1:

LOL  I didn't even mention that I struck a glancing blow with the sledge and smacked my left hand.  Luckily it was the muscle in between my thumb and fore finger.  Swelled up pretty good though. 

On another note, the compressor and especially the impact wrench really cut my time on the take down and install.    :headbang:  And no, those weren't harbor freight items.   :tongue3:

ernestgonzales78@gmail.com

Shit at least it was u hitting ur self. I get beat up by Ron everytime we help each other... lol
76 F100 4X4 FORD (AKA MISTRESS)
86 3/4 ton 4X4 CHEVY
07 3500 DODGE FLATBED (TOY HAULER)

SixGun

Right after it happened, I went inside and showed my 24 yr old son my hand twitching and all swollen.  I told him that I couldn't hold anything with my hand now if he could come out and hold it down for me.  At first, he said sure and started to head for the door and then it hit him.... duh... I don't think so.  LOL I almost had him.   :violent1:

rjtx667

Nice to know you can still get your kids, at least for a bit, even at that age  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

After all the forward momentum last year, it's been one shot after another from Murphy.  He's been an unwelcome guest this year.  Starting with the 5.2 install and the random stalling issues.  Well, a few weeks back I went to meet up with Eric (Project M880) and Ernest (chicken-little).   Couple hour's drive there without issue.  Just left Eric's ranch and the fuel pump went kaput.  Spent 10 hours in the sun and on into the night trying anything to get it home.  Finally called for a tow.  Daughter-in-law had to pick up Grandpa's truck to pick up the trailer we were hauling since no one would tow both 2 hours back home.  After dropping everything off we eventually got home about 4am.  Don't want to make light of it but need to mention that Eric really tried to get me up and running with the help of Ernest over the phone.  Some of the best redneck fuel injection I've ever attempted but in the end, it no workie.  Eric helped me get a tow and pulled me down the road to a well lit and easy to find truck stop. 

Okay, so I pull the tank and find some debris inside the pump but nothing outrageous.  Bought a new pump and thought I would do an upgrade I've been contemplating.  I've been toying with the idea of a "skid plate" for the gas tank.  I had some "scrap" sheet metal about 1/16" thick.  It's not real thick but can easily resist branches and some rock scrapes.  Some degree of protection vs. bare plastic.  I've been noticing some evidence of rash on the underside and especially the front nose of the tank.  Just by chance, this sheet was nearly as long as the tank and just a little wider.  I just needed to make notches for the tank straps. It sits inside the straps and is sandwiched against the tank.  The gas tank is located on the drivers side, the sides are protected by the frame on one side and the driveshaft on the other.  The rear is protected by the axle.  So far, the belly piece has been done and I still need to fab the nose piece using an extra gas tank frame bracket from the JY.

Before I put the tank back in, I noticed that both vents on the old pump were crammed with crud.  I put some gas line on them for the new pump and pointed them down the side of the tank.  I did notice that my gas gauge is reading again but I haven't put anything over half a tank which is where it would not go past when it did read.  Soon after putting in the new fuel pump last time, a couple of years back, the gas gauge stopped working all together.  I've got my fingers crossed that it is "completely" working now.

On my first try, the battery was dead.  Hours on the side of the road with hazards on all day and all the way home killed it.  I have a charger and set it for a slow charge overnight and it worked.  Phew... it was an Optima, so I didn't want to replace that one.  On the next try, if fired right up but ran rough.   I pulled the plugs and they were fouled out and smelled of gas.  Probably from the overload of fuel from installing an electric fuel pump with higher volume flooding the TBI on our redneck fuel injection.  Checked the sticker under the hood and grabbed some plugs - RN12YC.  When I painted the motor I only masked the electrodes so the size could not be read.  When I went to put the new plugs in I noticed they were a different socket size. Thought "Oh Crap", I used the sticker for the V6 plug size.  I checked the FSM and found the plug size for a 5.2 should also be RN12YC.  Hmmm... what's in there? - RC12YC.  Changed the plugs and fired it up.  Still rough... so  I pulled the TBI and used up a can of Berryman's cleaning it up.  There was a lot of buildup in the vacuum ports.  Funny thing is that last spring, I cleaned it up before installing it.  I pulled the injectors and they were brand new looking still.  Better be, only a few months old.  When I went to put the caps back on the injector I noticed the pin terminal in the cap was askew.  Probably from taking it apart in the dark on the vehicle when it broke down. Corrected it and gave it another shot.  Quiet smooth idle.  Did some revs and the full throttle blasts were smooth but part throttle a little rough.  Maybe bad gas or dirty fuel filter?  Filled a water bottle with just the pump running and it was clean of debris but bright orange.  Hmmm.... new gas can maybe since it was all new gas and tank was cleaned when it was out.  Bought and installed another fuel filter and while checking for leaks it suddenly started dumping fuel from on top of tank.  It was coming from the quick connect to fuel pump going to the filter.  Nice big spray where the clip goes in- maybe the seal is worn or gone.  Gonna buy another one - this one is plastic so I'll pick up a metal one.

Here's some pics of the "skid plate".  BTW anyone want to babysit Murphy for a while?

crazzywolfie

you can keep murphy there. i can't afford his shenanigans right now :laughing7:.

that looks like a pretty nice skid plate.

ProjectM880

My redneck engineering skills can only go so far. Wish I could of helped further.

Glad to see your back on track and making progress on the D150.

Seem like when ever a group of Dodge guys get together its always a adventure!

SixGun

Forgot to mention that I figured out what was making that loud clunking on the driver's side.  The rubber bumper under the upper control had split and was allowing the control arm to strike the shock tower.  $10 for 2 new polyurethane bumpers from Manny Moe and Jack did the trick. :)