News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RAMM'D 150

Started by SixGun, September 25, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

You never really finish working on these trucks so I figured I'd make a spot to show what's the latest news. 

I spent today installing the winch I purchased before Ram Jam 2012.  I had already extended the front bumper in preparation for this project.  I had purchased a SuperWinch 8500 with their matching winch mount.  I also purchased a roller fair lead to go with it.  Caught a really good deal on Amazon.com.  Never had a chance to install and it's been sitting on the sidelines while I spend most of my time with the RamCharger lately.  Well, to install means I needed to cut some more bumper.   :laughing7:

I measured and notched the bumper with my handy dandy don't wanna die Harbor Freight tools cutting wheel.  Best $20 bucks ever.  I had to re-wire it a couple of times but no biggie.  After setting it up in the new little cubbie hole, and bolting the winch and roller fair lead to the mounting plate, I discovered that I would not be able to drill some of the holes into the frame without removing the bumper.  After debating whether to remove the bumper (way too hot outside) or cutting the top lip off the bumper (faster), the cutting wheel won. I also had to notch where the license plate mounts so I had to drill a couple of holes to lower it a hair and a half.

It came out nice with the top lip gone.  Makes the bumper look flat.  Wired it up and drilled some holes for the mount plate and it was done.  I replaced the black bolts with some HD grade 8.8 stainless steel bolts that came with the kit.

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

very nice. I can't wait till my projects are closer to that "finished" stage  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

taz_man440

2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

crazzywolfie

that thing is looking good :13:

workgoats

I've been busy and not on the net much lately.  Internet at home is down as a result of "IMPROVEMENTS".  Hopefully the cable company can get it back up soon.

Looks good.  We may not have to pull you out at all... ;D

I'm still on track to head to Hidden Falls.  I plan to take off the 19th and actually planto get there early on Friday.  If you guys don't come early I might get a chance to break the Willyreplica before you get there.

SixGun

:great:  Had a great time with Ron and Ryan at Hidden Falls.  Tested the limits a little more and had to use the winch on a couple of occasions.  The winch mount is from SuperWinch to match the 8500.  Completely bolted onto the frame with 6 HD bolts.  It held up well and didn't seem to shift as I was worried not being welded in.  Ryan got some experience using it. LOL  At one point he tried to give me a weggie.   :nono: 

Also removed the spare from under the bed and located it behind the cab using the j-bolt from spare carrier.  Just hooked it on bed and it held real good.  Bought a hook for the receiver hitch.  Didn't need it thankfully and it didn't drag on any steep climbs or drops.  Rjtx has a TBI 318 that we talked about swapping in but there are concerns about the k member and motor mounts.  To be determined...

rjtx667

Quote from: SixGun on October 24, 2012, 11:28:41 PM
  Ryan got some experience using it. LOL  At one point he tried to give me a weggie.   :nono: 

I did not, but I did help push you up the hill... or at least thats what I will claim  :laughing7: you could not make it up the hill without my super strength  :lol_hitting:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

:017:  Take a good look at this picture again.

:tongue3:   The proof is in the pudding. 

:nono:  Good thing I'm 6ft tall or there could have been some real damage done. 

SixGun

On a different note, I was able to pick up those motor mount brackets today to swap the 91 318 in place of the V6.  Found a 91 D150 and used a scissor jack from a car to lift the motor since they don't allow you to take any jacks into this pic-n-pull.  Checked it against my cross member and it will fit.  All 3 pieces for $25.  Good call on that adapter Wolfie. Thanks

crazzywolfie

your welcome. i am glad you were able to find them so easily. $25 is a steal if you think about how much it would have cost to make something that would do the same job as that bracket.

SixGun

I wish I could find some big block brackets for that price for the RC.  They are over a $100 online.  Anyone got some??

crazzywolfie

i think if you keep looking you will find what your looking for and get a smoking good deal on them. maybe you can even buy some with an engine attached. no one wants a big block with the price of gas now a day.

mopar_daddy

I've got a set. I'll pull em and get a shipping quote. Been quite busy. I will get you a quote on those springs as soon as I can ;D
91 RC 6 plus" lift,5.9 mag,456s,x over.
79 RC fully tubed front to back.Walker E glass,37s
83 W crew,cummins(soon 2 b Ramburban)
85 long box PR 12-14" lift on 40" Boggers
93/99 mutant dakota R/T (monster dakota)
98 Dakota R/T my DD
Many 60s mopar muscle cars

SixGun

:crybaby2:  I forgot to mention that I found an 82 RC in that yard with untorn blue vinyl buckets and back seat with matching console.  It was killing me to pass it up.  When I got home I called back and asked a price and the seats were  $40 a piece.  Very tempting to go back.  It was a 2X  so may not have anything exciting but the hood cable was undone so it wouldn't unlatch.  I wanted to pry that sucker open but there was an unmolested brush guard blocking it.  Somebody must have taken care of this RC by the way the interior looked so I just wanted to see the motor.  It had a heater box with the aftermarket AC on it.  Nice set up!

Dave, I'm off this Thursday if that cool with you. 

Mopar Daddy - did you use that steering block with the 5.5" springs?  That steering block is 3" right?  Will that compensate for that lift?  Also will I need to get new bolts and the cone washers?  No problem - no rush.

SixGun

Quote from: crazzywolfie on October 30, 2012, 07:15:02 PM
no one wants a big block with the price of gas now a day.

I think Dave's been buying them all up .... LOL   :tongue3: