News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

crack in rad support

Started by crazzywolfie, October 08, 2012, 07:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

:icon_scratch:  Don't know why I didn't think of it before but I have a 91 FSM and looked it over to compare.  The K member is still in question but looking at the bolt holes it appears that the mounts on the K member are the same for 3.9 vs 5.2.  There is an offset bracket that is the same as CW's pic shows that will be needed for the drivers side.  It doesn't show the brackets to the block though so that is questionable.  One thing that CW mentioned and I see in the FSM is that the K members and all else is different from 4x vs 2x.  So that's why Rjtx didn't need or have the adapter.  Okay so I know we discussed this before and you will need the bracket to the block but Ryan can you take some pics of yours for comparison to mine.  The bigger one is on the passenger side.  Sooo sorry to hijack your thread Mat.  This issue always seems to come your way no matter which forum.  LOL

Ryan, I know you need the space so let me see what I can do about making it happen sooner. :BangHead: :040:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

i don't mind getting off topic. i always seem to jump into the v6 to v8 swap since i have been through it once. the brackets you have on your current engine look like they would bolt to a magnum engine. maybe one day we will have a thread dedicated to v6 to v8 swaps.
this is a picture of a v8 magnum. you can see the newer magnum mounts which is the 3 holes and the older LA engine motor mount ears. there is one one each side of the number 6

rjtx667

maybe this will help some.

this is a shot of my k member and then the mounts on the 318 TBI
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Okay I see what you are talking about the ears vs. triangle bolt pattern.  So I need to get the bracket that mounts to the motor since it is a TBI with "ears" and the adapter for the driver's side and that's it.  I think the K member is okay from what I can see.  Next day off next week is dedicated for boneyard hunting.  Thanks guys!  :icon_salut:

crazzywolfie

hopefully you find what you need. i know it will probably be a pain in the but if you have to remove them yourself but will be worth it.

rjtx667

don't forget to order yourself up some new engine mounts from rockauto as well. heck might be worth doing the tranny mounts at the same time.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

ok. kind of back one topic. it has turned out to be a fairly beautiful day. managed to get the old rad support out without too much trouble. ended up doing some sand on some very rusty parts and blew some tiny hole in the metal  :crybaby2:. i figure at least i am getting rid of the major rust that was there. i have been filling in some of the tiny holes with paint :laughing7:. at least the stuff that has rust is just mainly cosmetic. no weight is really put out it. now onto the pictures
it looked real mean with no grille so i just had to take a pic

rust. lot and lots of rust

more rust

starting to paint. you can see some of the holes i made

thats it for now. back to work i go

rjtx667

they make some stuff, I have to find the can I have... but you spray it on and it kills rust and primes over it. Might be better than paint.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Quote from: rjtx667 on October 25, 2012, 07:25:24 AM
don't forget to order yourself up some new engine mounts from rockauto as well. heck might be worth doing the tranny mounts at the same time.

Actually just put new trans mount and engine mounts after the lift was done. 

SixGun

CW, I like the way some maple leaves ended up in the pics.  How classic is that??   :laughing4:

crazzywolfie

them damn leaves kept getting into my freshly painted parts so i had to move the parts i could to where there was not as many leaves :angry5:. i think por15 has stuff that kills rust and is thick enough to fill holes but i was in a rush and did not have enough time to get some. i just got some used tremclad rust paint. it was not super expensive but it was not the cheapest i could find. i can always sandblast the paint off at a later date. paint blasts off a lot easier than rust.
i do got to say i am done working on the truck for the night

80W150

Quote from: crazzywolfie on October 19, 2012, 04:19:28 PM
the bolt i removed from the rad support in my 81 is 2 3/4" long.

i had no luck getting the rad support out of my 91. i took out all the bolts but i guess i have to take the hood and fenders off to get the rad support out. hoping to get my dads help since he now has his truck back.
[/quote

Thanks man.
Chuck

crazzywolfie

got most of the stuff done before it started to rain. just have to tighten a few nuts and bolts and put the grille on and it will be done.
heres a pic of the old rad support. i am not sure if i could have fixed it after i more thoroughly looked at it.

rjtx667

that's pretty bad, good choice to replace it
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

ya. i also like how the rad actually fits properly in the 91's rad support. before the rad was held in with 2 nuts and bolts and was partially blocked by the rad support. now it is held in by 3 bolts and the nut things that are incorporated into the rad support. should be running a bit cooler with all that extra air blowing through it.