News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

93 RC Trail Rig

Started by rjtx667, October 20, 2012, 02:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

Finally started the leaf spring swap. I decided against the axle swap as I would have to re-do the front cad stuff, and I recalled there is a difference in u joints I did not want to deal with.

The 93 was SO much easier to get the bolts out, I was amazed. The 91 took me like 2 weekends just to get the bolts out.

So I now have the rear leafs done. The 91 looks ok right now, a little funny but not bad. The 93 looks like a want to be dragster with the back jacked way up and the front down low  :evil6:

I took some pics but they did not turn out well so I have to try to get some more.

I spent about 3 hrs moving the 91 around because I need to get some parts for the drive shaft so ended up having to push it around and back into the garage :-(

I should get the front swap done this week as well then finish up a few other little things.

Once the springs are done I need to get my winch wired up and a 2nd battery, then a locker. After that I will call it good for ram jam.  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Can't wait for the pics. 
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

Well been buys with personal issues and not had much time to play but made enough time to get things going.

Lift is done, 27" give or take to inside floorboard height.

I have the wire ran for my winch, I need to bolt the connects into place so they are secure.

I have the dual battery setup done, its "redneck'd" for now but it should help and work. I did notice that my alt is shot, so I think I am going to get a new 120 amp once since they don't cost that much more.

What else? I bought a front bench seat out of a 1998 ram that was in decent shape, but its going to be work to get it to fit so that is not happening this go round.

yeah like I said not a lot done but the few things were a pita lol. I still have to go back and put Jim's front spring rear mounts on there... just not enough time to grind and drill.

and yes, I know I need some bigger tires, but these 31's are very new so they get used first  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

So I was testing things after the dual battery setup... yeah the alt was putting out 16.4v with the batteries charged, turn the a/c on and it went down to like 13.8.

My tester said alt is bad, and I would agree   :laughing7:

Oreilly had a 120amp alt that was almost reasonable, so I picked it up. I am going to get it installed tonight and check on a few more things. I guess I also need to verify the wire from the alt to the batteries is big enough to handle 120amp alt, but I would bet its not so I will have to look at that as well.

after that its mostly minor things to clean up. I am picking up the trailer wed or thurs to get it all loaded up. Curious to see how the 2000 does pulling the load now that it has more power  :evil6:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

crazzywolfie

i would almost be wondering if you have an electrical issue if it was putting out 16.4v and then dropping when you turn the a/c on. i think even if you didn't get the bigger alternator it would have still been a good idea to upgrade the wire that runs to the battery. after i upgraded the wires on my 81 i think voltage at the battery dropped about 0.25v when it was running. 

the RC still looks good. just need to fix the trim. looks a bit funny

rjtx667

it was a ground I messed up lol. got that fixed and its acting all sorts of better.

Took the old alt in and had them test it before I returned it, it averaged 8.3v output so yeah it was bad.

new 120amp one installed, not sure how to upgrade the wire for the alt yet, its all "connected' with the little wires so I have to look at the FSM to see what to do.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

it is hard to say which way is the right way to to upgrade the wire. probably the easiest way is just to add another wire on top of the stock one.

rjtx667

that sounds about right lol

and run it to the 2nd battery  :great:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Years ago I had bought a kit from summit for a trunk mounted battery.  They may still carry it.  It was fairly cheap with the long heavy gauge wire and a battery box.

crazzywolfie

you can usually get welding wire fairly cheap. don't forget about getting a  battery isolator.

rjtx667

yeah the wire I bought for the winch was not cheap, but its bigger than I need for this I think.

I plan to get the battery isolator after RJ just no time or $$ right now.

So I drove it around last night for a bit... never had a truck with "new" leaf springs... and I mean the fronts have less than 500 miles and the back had 0 miles.

Those back springs were like riding a bronco for a few miles  :laughing7:

it seems to have settled down some, but it is a little bouncy still. I plan to weigh down the back some more to see if that helps some.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

so minus a few little things it did great this weekend. My oldest has decided thy name shall be Tristan.

Tristan ended up having to drive home from Waco because of a trailer tire issue  :angry4:

I did not go to work tuesday, then wed I drive him because I needed to get the driveshaft in the 2000 fixed.

Well on my way home Tristan's driver front caliper decided it wanted a rest, so it locked up. I just replaced both of them in November? Not really happy about that, maybe I can fix it Sunday. I had to leave it at my folk's town house.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

when you have bad luck you really have bad luck. hopefully it is not too hard to fix.

rjtx667

lol yeah I have noticed... did I mention a friend was suppose to by my 2003 durango... well 9 mo later he had not given me a dime so I said I wanted it back. He said fine but it stopped running today, went and picked it up... yeah he blew both head gaskets.  :angry4:

Calipers are easy, already did it once, thats the worst part is these are not 20 year old calipers... they are less than a year!!! but swap out put together, bleed and done. should be less than an hour.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins