News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

93 RC Trail Rig

Started by rjtx667, October 20, 2012, 02:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

that suck. i would not have let the vehicle leave the driveway unless cash was in my hand

rjtx667

well a 13 year old friend.... thought he was trustworthy.

he has said he will pay for parts... funny parts are the cheap part
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

parts are cheap. it is all the labor that is expensive or time consuming. hopefully it is not too hard to fix. 

rjtx667

Its clear you have not taken a head off a 4.7 over head cam v-8 before  :evil6:

getting all the timing marks to line up, without their "special tool" it's a real PITA

I have done it 2x before, I will do it again.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

nope. never taken the heads off anything. never needed to yet. hopefully everything goes nice and smooth for you.

rjtx667

its an experience. not bad though... and yeah I hope it goes good too.

it will take 2 weekends as I want the heads checked for cracks.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

ya. it is probably a good idea to get the heads checked and try to figure out why the gaskets started leaking. i have heard that some of those .7 engines tend to drop valve seats when they have been overheated.

rjtx667

yeah I had it torn down once for a blown head gasket, but not this bad. So I have no clue how hot they must have gotten it to do this.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

My brother-in-law has a Ram with the 4.7 motor.  I changed out the water pump and there was a trick to doing it.  Good thing I read about it online before getting stuck in the middle of the job.  Way he drives, I should pay attention for when he blows that sucker.   :laughing7:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

trick to the water pump?  :icon_scratch: I have replaced it before, and took it out for the heads before I don't recall any trick?  :dontknow:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

It was more so the fan removal from the water pump.  The video I saw suggested a pipe wrench with cheater bar.  Made it smooth as butter.  Any job with a pipe wrench is great.  It's my favorite tool.  LOL

rjtx667

ah yeah the fan removal suxs because of the pulley on the water pump.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

So what's the latest and greatest?:

The War Wagon

Quote from: rjtx667 on November 02, 2012, 10:55:38 AMSomeone  :angry4: installed a POS alarm system and jacked the wires to hell and back.

I'm starting to think this came "standard" on Magnum Ramchargers.  Mine has one of those two.   ::)

I'm gonna have my stereo done professionally, and let them also re-do the alarm, along with remote locks and starter.  Probably means another month in a shop somewhere - BEFORE it hits the road  :confused2: , but I'd rather have the POS alarm OUT, and a decent one in, before I leave it parked in my 'hood.  :o
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

SixGun

It's scary easy to open them with a coat hanger made into a slim Jim.  Took me less than a minute without knowing what I'm doing.