News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

93 RC Trail Rig

Started by rjtx667, October 20, 2012, 02:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

don't look at me...Noah said it was good... or was that good enough? lol

I have some good tie rod ends I will swap over later today and see how that does. not touching ball joints and unsure about the pitman arm
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

A Steering Stabilizer may help out the issue of larger tires, but if there is actually something wrong with the steering then it will simply cover it up. I don;t think you have anything to worry about since its a trail truck and a bad weather truck.

rjtx667

we will find out... I would not want to do 70 mph in it anymore lol
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

Quote from: rjtx667 on October 18, 2014, 01:23:59 PM
we will find out... I would not want to do 70 mph in it anymore lol

How is the clearance on the front tire now?

rjtx667

the front is fine after a small tweak, the back is gonna need some work.

the pitman arm is great with the spacers
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Quote from: ProjectM880 on October 18, 2014, 11:58:32 AM
FYI- If the steering is really bad all a steering stabilizer is, is a band aid to a larger problem. I would go through all the steering components first to make sure everything is good and tight.

It needs 2 steering stabilizers.... maybe .....  :tard:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

ProjectM880

Quote from: ProjectPW on October 19, 2014, 09:04:59 AM
It needs 2 steering stabilizers.... maybe .....  :tard:

And this is the guy I pay to work on my my rig ladies and gentlemen..........  :breakcomp:

rjtx667

well he is smarter than you think... he said don't worry because he knew it would be a pita to get the old tie rods off.... I will let you know if I get it done before the trip.

the pins broke off so I guess I have to try and drill it out
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

got the pins drilled out and after a lot of elbow grease the old bolts off.

I bit more work and the old tie rods finally gave way and came out.

Here I thought I would be cleaver... just swap out the whole complete unit from the 91 that is already aligned and has almost brand new problem solver tie rods.... done it before between the 92 and 91 and it worked great.  :violent1:

Guess what... there is a difference between either 44 and 44hd or a 85 dana 44 and a 90's dana 44. the 85 bar is a good 1-2" shorter.

Yeah that does not work at all. I had to then break everything loose, swap tie rod ends and put it back together.

Now I know my toe is all jacked up, but figure I will get some help and get it close when we arrive onsite.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Who would have guessed?   :icon_scratch:

At least you got it back together.  :thumbsup:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

I still need to clearance the rear of the front fender, and tighten the front bumper... but other than that I think I am ready.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

We were talking about mounting plates for spare tires at HF.  Here's a link to RuffStuff.  HD hardware.  Nice armored diff covers too.  IF you do go with the diff cover, I suggest spending a few bucks more for recessed bolts.  Worth the few extra bucks imo.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/BUMPER.html

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectM880

Whats the Latest on the trail Rig??

Whats next on the list of modifications ?

rjtx667

Well just today it finally made it back to the house. It has been sitting out at my friends farm near stephenville. It took a few tries to get fuel loaded, but once it did it started right up. I was happy since it has sat for 2-3 mo without much going on and the batteries were still going (one of them being the case battery from the parts truck).

So now its sitting in the driveway, I have to figure out if it can even still fit in the garage... if not I guess I will pull heads outside, but thats not preferred.

Since it has been raining I had to drive the truck out to the road then load it on the trailer. Dirt road to farm was bad. I was all over the road and almost got stuck once. Then getting it on the trailer I could not do it, back tires were spinning and front did nothing, I went from 4H to 4L and tada walked right up. So apparently I need to look into my 4H on the transfer case?

So list right now is:

Front bumper - finish bolting and paint
rear  bumper - finish welding and paint
engine - new cam and heads - new radiator
Find new driver door and replace
also need to get a few parts from Jungle and do some more suspension mods.

I also would like to try to work on the steering, so if  :laughing4: if I have some extra cash I found a place to get a better steering gearbox and pump to try and help, along with new ball joints etc etc. I don't think I have room from x-over steering yet.

I think thats more than enough of a list.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

You've got a big list ahead of you!

That's half the fun  :thumbsup: