News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

93 RC Trail Rig

Started by rjtx667, October 20, 2012, 02:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectPW

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 03, 2015, 09:51:33 PM
it's not a great excuse but it's my excuse. It is a good excuse to buy another truck though  :laughing7:

would have been nice for the cummins to be 4x4, but at some point I will sell the 2003 and use that as an excuse to get another 4x4

The circle of Dodge life goes on  :035:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

rjtx667

what's that old saying? can't have too much of a good thing?

sounds about right. all mine have clean titles, so that's a good thing I. my book
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

Well if it will stop raining long enough to let the ground dry up some I need to pull it out of the back yard and into the garage so I can rip the heads off and take them to the machine shop for a rebuild.

I have everything else I need in I believe. Well I did not get new lifters or push rods yet... so I might order those.

Hopefully next week I can get it pulled into the garage. Should not take long to get the heads out, if I can do that wed... then maybe I can put it back together that weekend?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

Got back from out of town, back yard is still wet but no longer a swamp so I guess thats progress. Hoping to be able to get the truck out tuesday night so I can tear the heads down wed.

I realized last night I missed a few parts, so I also ordered new push rods and lifters, some spark plugs, wires, cap n rotor.

That should do everything I need.

I think I have about decided I am going to steal the headers and dual exhaust off the 91 while I am stealing the radiator  :laughing7:

The exhaust on the 93 is getting worse and actually broke some last outing. If I can get this one setup and welded good it should help a lot. Hoping the new cam and valves wake the truck up... it should sound a good bit better.

I also get to play with degreeing a cam, I have the tools just never done it yet.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 16, 2015, 08:26:22 AM
Got back from out of town, back yard is still wet but no longer a swamp so I guess thats progress. Hoping to be able to get the truck out tuesday night so I can tear the heads down wed.

I realized last night I missed a few parts, so I also ordered new push rods and lifters, some spark plugs, wires, cap n rotor.

That should do everything I need.

I think I have about decided I am going to steal the headers and dual exhaust off the 91 while I am stealing the radiator  :laughing7:

The exhaust on the 93 is getting worse and actually broke some last outing. If I can get this one setup and welded good it should help a lot. Hoping the new cam and valves wake the truck up... it should sound a good bit better.

I also get to play with degreeing a cam, I have the tools just never done it yet.

Have you considered the fact that your heads will probably be cracked... just saying.. maybe not. but it is not uncommon on magnum's especially early ones  :violent1:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-DAKOTA-JEEP-MOPAR-MAGNUM-WAGONEER-5-2-5-9-OHV-318-360-CYLINDER-HEADS-REMAN-/161085129018?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25816c013a&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-DODGE-JEEP-MAGNUM-MOPAR-DURANGO-5-2-5-9-OHV-318-360-CYLINDER-HEADS-92-04-/171027563637?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d2098475&vxp=mtr

I have bought from those guys before.... might cost a touch more than machine work but they are ready to go..... take your old heads off, put them in the box, put new heads on, give box of old heads to UPS man.... thats how I roll  :great:

rjtx667

oh I have no doubt they are trash. A local machine shop will swap out with good heads using my valves and springs for $300.

I don't think I have found a set of heads I have taken off a magnum that have not been cracked.  :violent1:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 16, 2015, 08:43:43 AM
oh I have no doubt they are trash. A local machine shop will swap out with good heads using my valves and springs for $300.

I don't think I have found a set of heads I have taken off a magnum that have not been cracked.  :violent1:

ok... sounds like you have a plan  :thumbsup:

SixGun

If the magnum heads are prone to being cracked, what makes the new ones better? Or will it just be a continual cycle of problems.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

they normally crack between valves, and its worse in early years, but all years have issues.

I believe its just an ongoing problem, but if the head is repaired then I think it can last better? maybe?

Thats why the Mexico Ramcharger has aftermarket EQ heads. They don't have the same cracking issue, and are suppose to flow better. Not flow like aluminum heads, but man those things are not cheap.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on March 16, 2015, 09:04:30 AM
If the magnum heads are prone to being cracked, what makes the new ones better? Or will it just be a continual cycle of problems.

Any head will crack if given the opportunity... things like thermostats,water pumps, and radiators all should be replaced during a cylinder head replacement operation to prevent the same issue causing trouble again...  edit: FAN CLUTCH too!

The replacement new castings available for the Magnums supposedly have thicker decks around the valve seats

rjtx667

for the record, I already replaced the tstat and water pump and fan clutch... I will be replacing the radiator as well.

but yeah if I am going into the engine, I am going to replace a lot of stuff to avoid going back in.

as I mentioned:

double roller timing chain and gear set
upgraded cam
rebuild heads
new push rods
new lifters
new plenum gasket
new injectors - upgraded bosch 4 hole design
New intake bolts
new head bolts
new radiator
hooker headers
hooker dual exhaust kit with cats and glass packs

I think thats it, but thats more than enough to deal with.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 16, 2015, 09:47:19 AM
for the record, I already replaced the tstat and water pump and fan clutch... I will be replacing the radiator as well.

but yeah if I am going into the engine, I am going to replace a lot of stuff to avoid going back in.

as I mentioned:

double roller timing chain and gear set
upgraded cam
rebuild heads
new push rods
new lifters
new plenum gasket
new injectors - upgraded bosch 4 hole design
New intake bolts
new head bolts
new radiator
hooker headers
hooker dual exhaust kit with cats and glass packs

I think thats it, but thats more than enough to deal with.

gonna be done in time? ... sounds like some serious surgery  :13:

rjtx667

I hope to have it all done this weekend... it's serious work but not too bad.

worst part will be the exhaust and welding... you know me and my welding skills lol
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

The trick to welding with a small welder or not having very much practice welding, is to just make lots of spot welds. It might not be real pretty but it will keep you from burning through the pipe.

rjtx667

yeah burning through has never been my problem... I think the welder I have is too small. It might have to be a future upgrade.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins