News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

93 RC Trail Rig

Started by rjtx667, October 20, 2012, 02:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

Practice practice practice ;)

What size welder do you have?
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

just get some scrap pipe and practice on it. most of the time even the small welders work pretty good for basic stuff like exhausts. i used mine patch some exhaust just the other day. the welds were not pretty but they should hold for a while.

rjtx667

not sure, its a small 208/220v harbor freight welder my dad let me borrow.

it has a knob for wire speed, and then 1/2 for power and a high/low for power.

Not a lot of configuration settings.

Granted I think if I had anyone give me a 5 min tutorial about how to weld it might make a difference lol

I am going to go youtube some here in a bit. maybe it will help.  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 17, 2015, 12:38:37 PM
not sure, its a small 208/220v harbor freight welder my dad let me borrow.

it has a knob for wire speed, and then 1/2 for power and a high/low for power.

Not a lot of configuration settings.

Granted I think if I had anyone give me a 5 min tutorial about how to weld it might make a difference lol

I am going to go youtube some here in a bit. maybe it will help.  :13:

the problem may be you don't have the wire speed and heat set correctly. To much speed and the wire wont burn fast enough, to much heat and the wire will burn to fast.

If the arc is pulsing then your speed is to slow and not enough heat. If the arc is Popping alot then you have to much heat.

Play with it on some scrap metal. You want to be able to hold the mig gun about 1/2 inch from the metal and move at a stead pace with a solid arc.

Try making circle or half circle patterns while welding.

rjtx667

It usually pops... so too much heat... I have some scrap metal to play with.  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 17, 2015, 01:01:04 PM
It usually pops... so too much heat... I have some scrap metal to play with.  :13:

It think that's right, I'm so use to Arc Welding I forget on Mig. Noah is the Mig Master so he would be able to tell you for sure.

I usually just mess with the machine until it weld right  :tongue3:

crazzywolfie

is there a chart on it somewhere with recommended setting for certain thickness's of metal? i know mine has a chart and if you actually follow it the welder does seem to work fairly good. also try to avoid welding rust. make sure the area you plan on welding is fairly clean.

rjtx667

well rain coming tomorrow and a hot day today, I figured  the ground was about as dry as it was getting. Still a few wet spots but not bad.

Got it out of the back yard, the batteries were a little unhappy but got it started up. I will need to charge them while its in the garage.

Now getting it into the garage, that was a trick, that locker does not like tight turns at all  :steering wheel:

I have marks all over the driveway now, but I got it in there. Hopefully tomorrow I can start tearing it down and get the heads to the shop. If they are not busy they can do a turn around and get them back to me sometime Saturday.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

taz_man440

Anytime I do exhaust, I oxy-acetylene weld em.. All I have is an ac/dc stick machine.... haven't perfected thin yet... i can sure do the gorilla weld...
2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

rjtx667

Yeah I always use some gas with the mig to help it out.

I am really glad I moved the truck last night... its raining here today. But with it in the garage I can start tearing it down soon.  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

well I thought I posted this the other night, but apparently it did not go through.

Last night I spent about 3.5 hrs working on breaking stuff down. Got the heads off and all that fun stuff.

I will stick with my side note that I HATE idiots. Idiots like someone that does not use exhuast bolts when they put an exhaust on and you have to fight to get a wrench up on top to get the bolts off the collectors.

So yeah heads are off now and at the machine shop to get fixed.

I had 2 blown head gaskets, and bad signs that say someone used some liquid sealer on it at some point in its past life.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

so today I worked a bit more, took the radiator out, moved the condenser  out of the way... took the fan off then the timing cover.

Timing cover is way dirty, going to be buying a parts cleaner tomorrow to help that out.

The inside is way dirty, and this thing had oil leaks all over the place.

The cap and rotor were not great looking, but could be worse. The inside of the dizzy needs some cleaning as well.

Where it gets interesting is the cam... I don't have all the lifters out yet, those are a huge PITA to remove... but yeah the cam is hurting.

I have to say, these old Dodges amaze me... 2 blown head gaskets... water passages with almost zero flow, and a cam that looks like that. Yet the truck idled good, ran around and did what it needed to do. I don't know many engines that could do that like these old Dodges.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

Here are the cam pics
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

the cylinders look decent I think
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!