News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

93 RC Trail Rig

Started by rjtx667, October 20, 2012, 02:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

driving in snow is just like driving is kind of like driving in the rain or off-roading. take your time and go nice and easy and you will usually get were your going.

rjtx667

well there was maybe 1/8" on the hood and grass, some on bridges and none on the roads... not really anything to take a picture of  :(

That and I was too cold to think about pics lol. I have some really great shots of the 2000 I have not been able to get uploaded yet, not happy with the forum software for that :angry4:

there were TONS of accidents today, mostly because you have 3 types of drivers...

1) the idiots that go 20 in the left hand lane of the highway thinking its all black ice and never once "test" the road to see how slick it is.
2) the idiots that think its just like driving on dry asphalt and do 70+ weaving in and out of all the other cars
3) those who know what is going on, they tested the condition and are being cautious but know its safe enough to do more than 20 and less than 70

its not a good combination to have all 3... #3 with any 1 of the other 2.... Maybe... Maybe it would be ok, but not all 3 lol
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I remember my first experience with black ice.  It scared the bejeebus out of me.  I had just spent 30 minutes freezing my ass off thawing the locks to get in my truck at work.  Finally got up on the freeway, not closed yet, and as I crested the first overpass there were people on the other side stopped and pulling over.  I tried hitting my brakes and whoa nelly.  I got off on the next exit and drove all 25 miles home on the access road.  Took me a little over an hour to get home.  I avoid freeways when it's freezing and if I HAVE to go over an overpass, I go really slow and down the center lane so I don't hit either side if it happens again.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

oh now black ice is lots of fun  :headbang:

give you a quick lesson for driving on ice/ black ice.

Unless its really bad it will usually just be on bridges. If its all over the road its extra hard.

When on the ice/ black ice there is 1 rule. COAST!!!! Don't speed up, don't slow down. Take you foot off all pedals and stick her in Neutral.

I guess the other thing to say with that is don't turn either lol You want to not change anything and just coast. If your coasting 99.999% of the time you will continue in the direction you were going without an issue. Once your pasted the overpass throw it back in gear and gently go on your way.

A few years ago we had that big ice/ snow storm around christmas. We were attempting to drive from Dallas to Amarillo. We took 3 or 4 hours to make the 45 min trip to Decatur, found a room and stayed the night. While driving on the next day it was ice everywhere, and we were in the 2wd durango. Not my preferred vehicle at that point but it was what we had. it did really good. We had 1 incident where I had to try and swerve to avoid something int he road, yeah we spun and did like 2 360's and got stuck on ice. Slick ice no moving forward or backwards just spinning tires. My wife got in the driver seat and my and my friend got out and we were able to get it back on the "path" everyone was using". It took us a few minutes and stopped a few cars but we got it done. After that no more issues, once we hit Whichta Falls it started clearing up more.

The other thing it remember when it comes to ice... 4WD just means you can spin all 4 tires  :laughing7:   Sometimes that is helpful, but sometimes its not. I would prefer my 4WD anytime to a 2wd though.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

so I got the 93 out of the back yard today, swapped the tires off the 91 on to it.

The tires on the 93 are to say the least... horrible. besides the 91 won't be on the road for a while.

After I got that done I took a look at the heater core, I pulled the hoses off and did a reverse flush. That was some nasty water.

I also figured out the vacuum valve was toast, and probably the reason it was clogged. I replaced it with a pass through for now.

I will need to replace it and the hoses soon.

So I started it up and let it warm up, yeah it has heat now  :laughing7:

Also drove SO SO SO SOOOOOOO much better. Was a bit loud, but that would be because the front fenders for the 91 are in the back and making all the noise.

Now I just have to get the fenders out and fix the driver door and it will be more comfortable to drive more often.  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

forgot the pic
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

that valve looks pretty bad.

SixGun

Heater is ready just in time for summer.   :laughing7:

rjtx667

ya'll are such a bad influence. Everyone talking about winches and sales

I broke today  :evil6:

Bought the Harbor Freight 12k lb winch that was on sale. I bought the receiver hitch setup like Ron and will get my receiver hitch mounted in back and figure something out for up front.

I now need to figure how where and how Ron did the wiring, as I like that plan he used.

Now just to work out the camera's and I should be pretty good for April.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Etrailer has some weld on front hitches that can be custom fabbed.  I originally thought about doing that.

http://accessories.etrailer.com/search?w=weld%20on%20receiver%20hitch

rjtx667

see what I'm talking about? Bad influences  :evil6:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

workgoats

I bought some winch plugs, exactly like you buy from Warn on-line.  I will look up the source tonight.  They were less than half of what you can buy elsewhere but exactly the same.

You need to buy two sets.  They come in pairs.  You put one on the winch, one on each bumper and the last one on a set of jumper cables.  Then you can use the winch on each end and also jump vehicles from both bumpers.  In my case, I put a second battery (from the red truck) to run the winch.  I put a battery isolator to keep it charged.  Since the batteries are not connected directly, I can only run down one at a time.  However, I can use the front plug and jumper cables to jump the truck from the second battery if I leave the radio on too long.

Big expense here is tying the front and back bumpers together with a cable big enough to run the winch...

ernestgonzales78@gmail.com

Ryan the problem is that ur following the advise and thoughts for redneck dodge guys. LOL That's the first bad influence. The second is one of them is Ron Yoakum :dance: :039: :happy3:
76 F100 4X4 FORD (AKA MISTRESS)
86 3/4 ton 4X4 CHEVY
07 3500 DODGE FLATBED (TOY HAULER)

rjtx667

Quote from: chicken-little78 on March 05, 2013, 08:33:34 PM
Ryan the problem is that ur following the advise and thoughts for redneck dodge guys. LOL That's the first bad influence. The second is one of them is Ron Yoakum :dance: :039: :happy3:

Well my Dodge ran good enough to make it through all the trails (minus some low hanging exhaust and a battery that was not tied down). It made it all the way home too  :13:

This year could be different, but I have a whole lot less in this one too  :laughing7:

I am interested to see how mistress does.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

workgoats

Quote from: chicken-little78 on March 05, 2013, 08:33:34 PM

You want to use the axles from my red truck on the JEEP you plan on building, you better wash your mouth out. :brushteeth: