News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Has it occured to anyone else

Started by 80W150, October 26, 2012, 05:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

80W150

That most of us are actually organized hoarders? Think about it. If we get a chance to snag stuff for free or cheap we do. Those that have room one truck simply will not do. We try and save the old ones.(kinda like giving a rescue dog a forever home)

I know at one time I had 4 trucks. 1 in garage, 1 in driveway and 2 in backyard. I live in town and have a privacy fence but still, you just can't do that in town. I knew I had to do something so I ended up parting 1 out, scraped 2 others and kept the last. The last one ended dying of cancer but the drivetrain lives on in the 77 RC. I still have parts for a 80's model truck though. Never know when one might end up in the driveway. ;) See? Already planning on it happening. And my wife knows I'm chompin' at the bit to get a megacab diesel. She asked if I got the megacab would I get rid of the 01 1500. I just looked at her, turned and walked. She knew then that the 01 stays. Why would I want to get rid of it? It's a great truck with decent miles.(around 78k) and that's the last year of that bodystyle in the 1500.(see? can justify hanging on to it for numerous reasons that only make sense to me)

If I have my way I'd have my 77 RC, my 01 Ram 1500 and a newer megacab diesel. But still not sure it would end there. I really want to do a 2wd pop top and big block it and air bag the suspension and satin black paint. :laughing7: If this is a sickness,,,,,, I don't want a cure.
Chuck

phillip637

im not sure if they made 2wd poptops. ive never seen one.
1985 Ramcharger 4WD 318/727/np208. 4bbl cammed headers
1989 Ramcharger LE 4WD 318TBI/727/np241
1990 W250 318TBI/A518/np241
2000 Dakota 3.9 magnum 2WD

rjtx667

I can't argue. I am a selective and skilled horder  ;D

I started out with select old computer stuff, or stuff from growing up that I liked.

It has expanded, I had my 92 RC that was too cancered with rust, so I stripped it down to nothing and scrapped it. I have A lot of it left in my garage, though I did sell out a good bit of it to help fund future projects. I then got the 91 RC which is now getting the interior and engine of the 92. I sold off some parts of the 91 that I did not need/ want.

I then found the 2000 RC, once its finished it will be my daily driver and  I will sell the 91 buick which currently does that. See selective lol

I have just recently got the 93 RC for a trail rig... So I have 3 RC 1 durango and a buick. I use the "logic" that its ok because they are all paid for... no payment = ok  :dontknow:

But while I like to "keep things I see as having value" they must keep value. I have rules... My cars go in the garage, not my junk. we have a 3 car garage and until I removed engines out of the 92 and 91, all 3 bays had cars. Even now 2 of the 3 have cars. Soon all 3 will again. Same goes in my house... I don't mind keeping things, but they need a place, even if its in a box in the attic. I can't stand clutter... my kitchen counters need to be clean and free of junk. All "main" family area's do... now my study... that is a holy mess right now... I have plastics from 3 ramchargers in there and I have 4 of the 91-93 grilles that I am working to refurbish lol

I think holding onto things is a human nature, but we must balance it and control it before it controls us. Saying that I have no plan to let go of any of my ram chargers. the 91 is to be a "show truck" not that I plan to go to shows, but just to have a nice one. The 2000 will be my nice daily driver, and the 93 a beat up trail rig.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

80W150

Quote from: phillip637 on October 26, 2012, 09:03:22 AM

They did, just hard to find is all.(i guess according to some people that qualifies as "rare") ;D

Ryan I totally agree. There has to be balance, restraint. I hold on to certain parts if they are known good parts i.e. starters, alts, t-cases... I did a massive clean out last spring, had to happen. I went to get the mower out and thought "damn, it's starting. Better do something" so I did.

I dislike clutter too. As if my upbringing wasn't enough 23 years in the service really drove that home. lol. I won't say my place is better homes and gardens material but people can stop by anytime and I'm not ashamed. ;)

I've got a 2 car garage, and it's narrow. My 77 stays in there, permanent resident. My road king has the other bay from early march through early November then that goes to my dads for the winter so his electra doesn't get lonely. Usually keep the bay open for wrenching purposes during the winter and if it's due to get real nasty I pull my wife's pt in there.(facing out so easier for her) When working in, what I consider, confined space you have to be selective. Room gets chewed up fast. The rule for the garage, if I don't put it there, it doesn't go there. That's my playground. No lawn equipment, chairs etc. I do park my wife's bicycle in there during the summer. I'm such a great husband. ;)

I like my trucks and my harley and the wife puts up with it. If I'm out there "playing" she knows where I'm at and I can't get in much trouble. She lets me have my mistress' as long as they're metal. lol.
Chuck

crazzywolfie

i have to agree. i keep as much as i can but once i start trippen over it i start getting pissed and try cleaning up. i am currently getting rid of some 2x4's that were taking up about 3 feet of driveway space and were 4ft long. i also put the 2 plastic tool boxes that were sitting in my driveway in the back of my truck. made about 5-6ft of room  but with the way things are the back of my truck could cover a couple feet of crap.

SoCal

I have to agree with you on the hoading part. I have stuff in my garage I should throw away but can't seem to do it because it works.

rjtx667

I can throw working stuff away, if its a $5 part I use once every 5 years then throw it out and buy it again when needed.

as for larger items, if I have no immediate need I sale, keeps the cash flowing for projects  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

depend on what the working stuff is. sometimes i will just give the working stuff away for free. let some other hoarder take it or use it.

you should see all the bicycle parts in my back yard. i need to start fixing them up so that when spring comes around i can sell them. i think i made $200 last spring selling bikes. $80 of that came from bikes i had just pull out of the trash and put air in the tires.

Mojack

Is this like an intervention  :o are you all ganging up on me  :hello: how did you know a buddy of mine and me were going to spend all day Sat. digging through a couple of other hoarders parts stashes?   :headbang: It seemed like a respectable hobby when we went to salvage yards and found parts cars to buy. Now we are picking over each others hoards...sadness....despair.....nah, we're going to have a blast !

mopar_daddy

Are my eyes deceiving me? Did I just find a support group?
:wave:Hi my name is Duane and I hoard mopars.
I am not one of those who plans on keeping every thing forever. Everything is for sale and heck I give parts away to local dodge guys if i do not plan on using them.
Good to know there are others out there.
91 RC 6 plus" lift,5.9 mag,456s,x over.
79 RC fully tubed front to back.Walker E glass,37s
83 W crew,cummins(soon 2 b Ramburban)
85 long box PR 12-14" lift on 40" Boggers
93/99 mutant dakota R/T (monster dakota)
98 Dakota R/T my DD
Many 60s mopar muscle cars

SoCal

Quote from: mopar_daddy on October 26, 2012, 09:39:33 PM
Are my eyes deceiving me? Did I just find a support group?
:wave:Hi my name is Duane and I hoard mopars.
I am not one of those who plans on keeping every thing forever. Everything is for sale and heck I give parts away to local dodge guys if i do not plan on using them.
Good to know there are others out there.
Duane is a hoarder of awesome dodge TRUCKS AND CARS but he is not a greedy one. Thanks for the bumper Duane.  Next time you need help let me know.

mopar_daddy

I always need help :happy3:. I usually just figure out a way to do it by myself. Just think Terry you just saw my outdoor storage yard. If your ever board just text me I've always got something going on. I have to go pick up another RC frame tomorrow and then Sunday I figure I will go up chain the 93 frame to the dak frame and use the winch to pull the 99 dak body onto the 93 RC frame.
91 RC 6 plus" lift,5.9 mag,456s,x over.
79 RC fully tubed front to back.Walker E glass,37s
83 W crew,cummins(soon 2 b Ramburban)
85 long box PR 12-14" lift on 40" Boggers
93/99 mutant dakota R/T (monster dakota)
98 Dakota R/T my DD
Many 60s mopar muscle cars

SixGun

Quote from: phillip637 on October 26, 2012, 09:03:22 AM

Danger Dave has a 2X poptop so I know they're out there. 

I'm thinking about putting up a storage at my inlaws so I don't have to run parts to and from my home for the RC I'm working on.  If I do, it will be my fourth storage shed.  Two are at my parents, one at my place and then one at my inlaws.  I'm already tripping over stuff at my garage at home so maybe this will help.  Where does it end??   :dontknow: 
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

minionsram

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I only have 5 Ramchargers, a 01 1500, 1985 W350 and the wife has a 96 Jeep. No clue what the crazyness you are talking about. Oh and the Back of one RC is filled to the top with parts that I have found at JY's and said to the wife "hey babe I think I can use that lets get it" (she is my junk yard buddy, we will waste hours in one walking around and pulling parts for my Goats and her Jeep thing. :dontknow:
!985 W350. 360, 727, 241 44hd front and 60 rear
1990 w150 RC 360 518 2 inches of lift
83, 90, 89, 86 RC's in yard for parts
2001 Ram 5 speed regular cab short box project.
96 Jeep Cherokee (wifes)

Mojack

Quote from: SixGun on October 27, 2012, 12:32:42 AM
  Where does it end??   :dontknow:

usually with a back injury  :crybaby2: truck stuff is heavy. :tongue3: