TSB 02-05-87 Rev A
Date: December 7, 1987
Models: 1985-1988 "W"' & "AW" Series Four- Wheel Drive Vehicles
This bulletin supersedes Technical Service Bulletin 02-05-87, adding 1988 models.
Vehicle leaning or low on the left side
Parts Required: Spring Spacer Package 4397949 Consists of:
1 Spacer PN 4404171
2 U-Bolts PN 4404151 (Spicer Model 44 Axle)
2 U-Bolts PN 4404240 (Spicer Model 60 Axle)
4 Nuts PN 6029459
This repair procedure describes the installation of a spacer block between the left front spring and axle assembly.
1. Using a hoist or hydraulic crane hooked to the towing eyes or at frame attachment, raise truck until weight is removed from front springs.
2. With wheels still touching the floor, install stands under side frame members as a safety precaution,
3. Remove the four nuts, lock washers, and both "U" bolts securing the left spring to the axle.
4. Raise vehicle slightly and insert spring spacer, PN 4404171, between spring and axle. Be sure spring center bolt aligns with locating hole in spacer and axle pad.
NOTE: ONLY ONE SPACER IS TO BE USED - DO NOT STACK.
5. Install the two new "U" bolts, new lock washers, and nuts and tighten until nuts push lock washers against axle spring plate.
NOTE. "U" BOLTS (SHORTER ONES), PN 4404151, ARE TO BE USED ONLY WITH THE SPICER MODEL 44 AXLE. "U" BOLTS (LONGER ONES), PN 4404240, ARE TO BE USED ONLY WITH THE SPICER MODEL 60 AXLE.
6. Remove stands from under frame and lower truck so weight is resting on wheels. Tighten "U" bolt nuts to 95 foot pounds.
POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty
Labor Operation No. 02-27-05-90 . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.6 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE: 6X - Weak