News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

87 R/C project

Started by bullboy0852, March 24, 2015, 11:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

make any progress on it?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

bullboy0852

Yah got it in but its ticking and im not sure if the dizzy gear is in the correct spot either, hard to start and dies when i stop sometimes. Talkin to ernest trying to figure it out. Ticking may be exhaust leaks from the holes under the exhaust ports.

bullboy0852

Ive about got it right, gonna pull the engine next time in and fix all the leaks, rear main and im thinking camshaft galley plug or whatever its called are leaking close to 5 qts per gas stop, and thats 50 weight oil. Also blew out a few valve seals setting the timing. Looking into buying a set of heads and pulling the pistons as well, new rings and whatnot.

rjtx667

Thats a lot of oil its drinking there  :confused2:

I might suggest you try to find you a used block, they are cheap on craigslist a lot of the times. Then just work to rebuild it from the ground up and swap over when you have it all done.

Then you still have something to drive in the mean time. You could always go with a Magnum block and heads with a long snout cam for the fuel pump and a LA style timing cover.... keep it carb but get the benefits of a magnum block and heads. Lots of choices to think about.

At least your making progress  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

bullboy0852

Eh, im already into this one a bit, im just gonna keep at it until its just right

pcrandell5284

I need some advice, I have a 88 rc. 318 auto trans, 4wd. Over heated and blew out a head gasket. Replaced the head gaskets, intake gaskets. Valve cover gaskets, just had radiator repaired, checked thermostat to ensure it opens, still getting to the boiling water stage.

rjtx667

I would suggest opening a new thread under help/ troubleshooting

but to start i would check your water pump and fan clutch

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I hate to even say it but in Carter it appeared that the previous owner was battling overheating problem and it turned out to be a cracked block.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

bullboy0852

Mine quit overheating with the 360 3 core radiator and a good cleaning of the water passages. Pulled freeze plugs and the amount of dirt in the passages wouldn't allow water to come out still. Id check that before a new pump or you'll eat it too.

bullboy0852

Also if you're driving it on the highway look into an external transmission cooler, they weren't made for 70mph speed limits, mine would slowly climb in temp on the longer trips. Lufkin to Houston id be pushing 230 on the temp guage, now it never reaches 220, mostly runs around 195-200

crazzywolfie

i think the stock trans cooling system should be ok for 70mph limits. i would guess your still running the stock mechanical fan and would never notice it but with electric fans i find the bottom half of the rad usually stays pretty cool. it would not hurt to install and external cooler but not necessarily needed. have you possibly also considered installing and external trans filter? i just figure it you install an external cooler it would be so easy to ad a external filter and i have been reading the external filters seem to catch so much more than the stock internal one. i have actually been thinking about doing this to my vehicles

bullboy0852

I hadn't thought of an external filter, be something to look into. I ditched the clutch fan and got a flex, but electric fans are in the future, just have other parts suckin cashflow right now.

May actually have to scrap this engine and get a jegs if this water continues, they're evacuating ppl in my area now, told Tosh to grab my gun and my truck but idk if she can find someone to drive it out, she has to take her truck.

crazzywolfie

i forget what got me thinking of the external filter but from what i read it should help keep the fluid clean plus it would be way easier to change. ya electric fans are nice. i really don't notice any difference between them and the stock fan other than the truck is a bit quieter and hits operating temp quicker with the electric fans.

hopefully it don't come to that. that would definitely suck

rjtx667

Quote from: bullboy0852 on May 27, 2015, 06:03:42 PM
I hadn't thought of an external filter, be something to look into. I ditched the clutch fan and got a flex, but electric fans are in the future, just have other parts suckin cashflow right now.

May actually have to scrap this engine and get a jegs if this water continues, they're evacuating ppl in my area now, told Tosh to grab my gun and my truck but idk if she can find someone to drive it out, she has to take her truck.

might send Ernest a text, not sure how far away he is... then there is a few other members around... post something in the help section, maybe someone can.

Hopefully it will be ok.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

bullboy0852

We missed the flooding by a few miles thankfully. Hope everyone else is doing well.