News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

crazzywolfie's 93 RC

Started by crazzywolfie, April 22, 2013, 11:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectPW

Quote from: crazzywolfie on August 11, 2015, 02:17:49 PM
it all bolted back together and driving. so far it has been pretty good. i think i might need to check the rear end fluid level. i think i might have too much fluid in it which is causing it to leak and burn somewhere when i take left corners hard.

IMO there is no such thing as an over full differential... if it is even with the fill plug that is good... if it is leaking when taking turns you need axle shaft seals.... dont mess around with it too long as low oil in the differential will kill the axle shaft bearings at the wheel  :thumbsup:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

crazzywolfie

well the only reason i think it might be over filled is that my driveway has a decent slope to it and when i have checked the fluid on level ground fluid is always coming out. also i think the input shaft might be where any issues might be if there is one. i know that is approximately where i see the leak marks on the ground when i park with the nose down the hill. if i park with the nose up i never see a drop drip from it.

crazzywolfie

hoping to see about getting the strut rod bushings on this thing replaced if the weather co-operates with me. pull the used ones off the parts truck and they are in really good shape. just need to hit the parts store to get some cotter pins since i don't think i am going to get the roll pins out. i ended up having to cut them on the parts truck. at least is seems like a easy enough job or it was on the parts truck since there was nothing in the way.

crazzywolfie

ended up only replacing the drivers side one which is the one i was really worried about. most of the bushing was gone and you could move the strut rod around by hand. it was a bit difficult getting the bolts back in with the new bushing but i got it done. i do need to replace the other side since it is badly cracked but it is still at least still in tact. it will most likely survive until i can get around to it. i do got to say it has got a bit quieter since fixing it tho.

crazzywolfie

got around to pulling the drums today and the only issue i could see was the broken adjustment lever cables on both sides. i don't know what cause them both to break but they did. replaced them with spares that i had. axle seals seem to be fine. there is no oil leaking or seeping into the drum. i still have a feeling my issue is with the input shaft seal not really too sure what to do about it so i might end up just driving it till it blows. i don't know if i would be up to trying to replace that seal in the driveway under this thing.

SixGun

What's your concern with changing the pinion seal?
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

my main concern would be the crush sleeve and possibly having it over crush when i go to put it all back together. i figure replacing the seal itself would not be too bad of job if i didn't have to worry about that. i really don't want to be spending too much money on this thing. it is bad enough i am going to have to put a muffler on it very soon. i was thinking about making a straight pipe out in front of the rear tires and putting a box on the pipe to make it look like i got a muffler or maybe even buying a muffler and modifying it to make it work how i need. just with how short the wheel base is it makes i a lot harder to get a tailpipe out in front of the rear tires without major modification

crazzywolfie

well i decided to tackle the exhaust on this thing today. ended up just taking the muffler off and modifying the old tailpipe to work. it looks ok. need to shorten the pipe a little but i was going to wait till i had it all clamp tight and secured first before possibly chopping too much off. sounds a lot better with the dying muffler gone. the engine even seems like it is a bit quieter at idle but has a lot more of an aggressive sound when you rev it.

crazzywolfie

not been doing too much to the RC other than driving it lately. miles seem to be adding up so quickly lately. putting at least 200 miles on it a week and a lot of it is just to work and back. i did finally get around to installing that remote starter i picked up in the summer for $30 today. it was a lot easier to install than you would think it would be. i was a bit worried about needing to splice into the coil harness but after reading the instructions it seems you don't really need a tach signal. i guess it uses voltage to sense if the engine is running which is pretty cool. so far it seems like it has worked perfectly and never over run the starter. this is definitely going to make this winter a bit more tolerable.

SixGun

Now just have to leave the heater on so the cab is warm before stepping outside.
Hmm...wonder if they have a remote snow shoveler out there for you?   :laughing7:

crazzywolfie

actually there is a wire that you are supposed to hook up to make the heater run. i haven't hooked up yet because i didn't know which wire was best to hook it to but i figure having the engine start itself is half the battle. i will be getting it hooked up once i go through the wiring diagrams and find the best spot to hook it up.

anything is possible with enough time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jqsPzBbqro

SixGun

crazzywolfie

maybe next year i might be able to make one of those but this year i will just have to run what i got. at least i don't have to shovel it by hand. that sucks.

crazzywolfie

today was the first day using the remote starter and i am liking it so far. by the time i was ready to head to work the engine was nearly up to operating temp :thumbsup:. it also gave me a bit more time to get ready to work since i didn't need to go out and start it. i got to say i wish i had found one earlier. this has got to be the best $30 i ever spent on the RC lately

crazzywolfie

been putting a lot of miles on this thing in the last month. on October 30th i was at 250k km's and as of this Saturday that just past i was at 252k km's. i finally got the heater wired to come on when using the remote start but i didn't really have too much of a choice. the heater control is messed up so i had to bypass it. now every time i turn the key on the fan comes on. i was thinking about adding a toggle switch but oh well. maybe another day. i got it all working and i won't freeze this winter so all is good :13: