News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

crazzywolfie's 93 RC

Started by crazzywolfie, April 22, 2013, 11:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

Looks like we have the same color interior.

:hello:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

not quite. i really need a grey bench seat for my ramcharger but the crimson red one was free because i took it out of my 91.

crazzywolfie

bit of a busy day here today. started out trying to patch the rad on my 81 and moved onto doing some fairly major work on the ramcharger while i was waiting to borrow a torch from a friend. started run wires for the new dash cam that arrived today. i got one of those dash cams with 2 camera's so that 1 can be facing forward and 1 can be facing backwards. after i got the wire ran for the rear camera i decided to look at the lack of speakers in the back seat area. apparently there is already holes in the panels that just have to punched out. there was also even speaker wires there but for some reason dodge did some funky wiring behind the stereo. they ran both front and rear + speaker wires to the front speakers which caused some funky sound issue if you messed with the front/rear speaker control. this also meant the rear speakers were not getting any positive signal so i ended up taking apart the speaker connector at the stereo and moving the ground speaker wires for the rear to the positive spots because grounding the speakers would be easy. needless to say the stereo sounds a lot better now with more speakers.  the dash cam is also hooked up but i still need to put things back together and hide all the wires. hiding the wires should be fairly easy. also going to have to see about getting a lot shorter power cable because the one that the camera came with is way too long which is a great thing if you plan on installing it without tearing the interior apart like i am but i don't mind a bit of work to make wires disappear. will see about getting pics of everything when i get it all re-assembled.

i also had my supervisor inspecting my work to make sure it was getting done right

The War Wagon

Don't know how the various "trim levels" of RC's played out with speaker placement.  I do know MINE came with "premium sound" (the previous owner KEPT the original window sticker/build sheet  ;D ), although that didn't include the optional cd player for 1992, which was TRES expensive at the time.  The 6" round door speakers are easy enough to upgrade (I have 150 watt Alpine 2-ways now), but the factory rear speakers are 5x8 - an oddball size, in any era (BTW... I have the FACTORY speakers and grills out of MINE, if anybody needs them.  They work fine, but they're not my cup of tea in a NON-rotisserie restoration.  I also have the factory premium radio (AM/FM/cassette/equalizer) if anyone's interested - it works, too).

You CAN wedge a 6x9 in there if you like - on the cheap - thanks to these little doohickies!

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7149_Metra-82-6900.html

In fact, they're STACKABLE, like Legos, in case you need to build up some space for the magnet to fit.  I bought 2 pairs off fleabay (just in case) although you CAN mount 6x9's over the 5x8 opening with JUST one spacer each.  I have an extra set, in case anyone needs them.

I think I posted this in my RC thread, but here's two videos on my recent stereo upgrade!

http://vid212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Ramcharger/Stereo_zpsf7e28b01.mp4

http://vid212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Ramcharger/Stereo1_zps87a7bcd8.mp4  (Surprised by a church lady at the end!  :tongue3: )

Thing is, I bought these speakers and a Pioneer head unit (I sold the latter a couple of years ago - gotta Kenwood to replace it) back in late '06... and I finally got it ALL installed, THIS month.

Listened to it twice... decided it needs more bass:tongue3:   I've been spoiled the last 3 years with my Jeep Commander, which came with the Boston Acoustic premium sound package; tweeters in the dash, 7" subs in the front doors, & mid-range in the rear doors.

Homey's a little long in the tooth for thumpa-bumpa (c)rap music  ::)  - the CLOSEST I'd get to THAT, might be the Beastie Boy's "Sabotage."  But when I listen to AC/DC's "Thunderstruck," I think I'd like to hear a little thunder WITH it (that's on my first, special-purpose CD of "Ramcharger Music, Vol. I," that I burned exclusively, for when the RC finally had a stereo system.  MOSTLY, it's tornado-chasing music  :tongue3: ).

That said, I have a spare amp, that is technically not bridgeable... but I'll FIX that;)   And I have a stereo pre-out specific FOR subwoofers with the Kenwood, and I've already run the wire.

So I'm torn between these...  http://www.adorama.com/PYLPLQB8.html?scpid=37&scid=scsho6143593&utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Shopping%20Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=dealtime

And these... http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLTAB8

I like the former, because I think they'll better provide the sound I like.  I like the latter, because I think they'll mount more easily - forward facing - above the rear wheel well - and compromise less storage space in the back.  That, and they're already amplified, which is one LESS set of holes I hafta drill, in order to mount another amp.  Oh, these first world decisions...  :tongue3:

At any rate, either set should give me enough bass to make for a nice, well-rounded sound in the truck - whether I'm listening to Metallica, the Kruger Bros., or the soundtrack to Sherlock - seasons 1, 2, or 3...  8)
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

crazzywolfie

i think my ramcharger had 5x8 speakers in the door from the factory because it currently has 6x9 in them. they fit inside the doors nicely. the holes in the back are round so i would guess those are for 6" speakers because i think the speakers i tried installing were 5.25" and i was having a hard time getting the template to line up with panel material to drill holes to mount the speakers. now i know you will probably be saying i should buy some better fitting speakers but i already had these sitting around  from a stereo kit that i got a year ago. the 81 got the stereo and the ramcharger got the speakers from the kit. the 81 got the better end of this deal. my 81 now has a sub and amp hooked up to the stereo which makes things sounds a lot nicer which is why i prefer to drive the 81 usually when i can.

crazzywolfie

did i ever mention how much i hate this ramcharger? went to run my brother in law to an appointment and my ramcharger just quit running in the pizza store parking. it just lost power all of a sudden. blew a fusible link. ended up running a power wire from the battery to my cigarette lighter and then jump the starter to get it running and drop my BIL off at his appointment. i tried replacing the fusible link but ended up running into the wire that the fusible link is hooked up to is wrapped in the harness at a spot that will be extremely hard to get at so i just striped a bit of the fusible link wire that was still good and hooked to it. the thing runs so i will revisit this issue at a later date. i think since i fixed it the ramcharger seems to be running better but i also discovered that my ramcharger seems to have a fuel leak. can't seem to win with it.

anyway i pretty much got the interior back together and the dash cam setup for the most part. seems to work fairly good and since i pretty much hid all the wires it looks fairly good. will hopefully post some video footage from it eventually but i got to figure out the setting. some of the video clips seem to be very short and some are a lot longer.

SixGun

Hey Mat, what's that on the hood of the truck?

crazzywolfie

you mean the cool rustic looking paint job? lol. i don't know exactly what happened with the hood on my 81. it got a bad paint job and something funky happened to the hood. i used a gas powered pressure washer to clean it and that is how it has looked since. a bit of rust, 2 types of primer and bit of green paint. i think it i ever re-paint the truck i will probably just clear coat the hood.

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on July 29, 2014, 08:32:43 PM... i also discovered that my ramcharger seems to have a fuel leak. can't seem to win with it.

We replaced the fuel pump, and EVERY inch of fuel line in the entire truck - much of it now STAINLESS tubing.  My 4wd mechanic even fixed a couple of leaky spots, that my Monro Muffler man overlooked... and yet I still get whiffs of gasoline as I work on it and drive it.  NOT even so much as a drop on the pavement... but you can SMELL it... SOMEWHERE...  :icon_scratch:

Not sure if it's a factory problem, or a dealer add-on...  :dontknow: ::)

crazzywolfie

i replaced as much of the fuel line as i could when i replaced the fuel pump but there was some line that i had to leave because there was special fitting on them. i haven't had a chance to inspect anything yet so i don't know the issue. i just know in the last week i have used a lot more fuel than i should have and the ramcharger has been a bit harder to start.

rjtx667

My 91 had a crack in the tank, so if you filled it up more than 1/2 way it just poured out.

it could also be a leak or issue with your fuel filter? those rubber hoses around them get in bad shape too.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Using an ungodly amount of fuel was an O2 sensor problem for me about a year ago.

Oh and about the hood, looking at a glance it kinda looked like a flaming steer head.  After looking at it blown up, I see that its a backwards Ram's head over the "bald" patch.  I thought you had painted some mural for it on the hood.   :laughing7:

The War Wagon

Quote from: SixGun on July 30, 2014, 08:27:20 AM
Using an ungodly amount of fuel was an O2 sensor problem for me about a year ago.

Hmmmm... I HAVE a new O2 sensor for mine... but it hasn't been installed.  MIGHT explain that 6 1/2 mpg city mileage...  :icon_scratch:

crazzywolfie

the leak is not at the back so i know it is not the fuel tank that is leaking. it is leaking from approximately were the fuel filter is so it could be the issue. i don't think the rubber lines will be the issue since i am pretty sure i replaced most of it when i did the fuel lines.

the ramcharger has a brand new o2 sensor. replaced it about a year ago. the old one stilled looked pretty good when i replaced it but since i had it out there was no point not replacing it. the wire on my new o2 sensor was more than long enough to connect to the connector on my ramcharger.

the ram head is actually on the ramcharger. i just park so close to my truck that it looks like it is on the truck backwards lol. i park nose to nose so that if i ever need a boost it is usually easy

rjtx667

what brand o2 sensor?

I believe Richard had to go through a few to get it fixed.

Also have you done the key switch dance to check for codes?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins