News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Willyreplica from the start...

Started by workgoats, July 26, 2012, 11:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

workgoats

I'm finally getting to the bed on this thing.  Here's a little evidence of progress:

I started by determining how high and building a corner at the back to start from.  I'm using culled Ipe wood boards from our new office.  This should be the only Willyreplica in North America with an Ipe wood bed.

I have also started on the back of the cab.  I will need to borrow a truck or trailer and go get some more FRP to go on the back of the cab, behind the wood of the bed, before I can actually install any wood.

Here is an idea of what it will look like from the side.  I suspect a vertical batt will be installed in front of the roll bar to keep the wood in line.

And, here is my concept of inside the bed.  The boards on the floor will be cut and screwed to metal door frames, making two doors that will open to the two compartments below the floor.

ernestgonzales78@gmail.com

Thats pretty freaking sweet!! It's turning out good.
76 F100 4X4 FORD (AKA MISTRESS)
86 3/4 ton 4X4 CHEVY
07 3500 DODGE FLATBED (TOY HAULER)

workgoats

When it's done I'm gonna have to move the tail lights.  I'm gonna try to go with a one light system and use the LED tail lights off the red truck.

rjtx667

I agree, very nice looking.

When are you going to start giving lessons? Between you and Jim ya'll make the rest of us look like the rednecks we are  :laughing7: :tard:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

workgoats

So, today I framed in for the rear window.

Then I put the FRP on the back of the cab.

Then I actually started installing the wood bed.  I plan to remove it, a board at a time if necessary to paint the rig.  The wood will need to be oiled on the back side too.  It has been oiled on one side already.  This is as far as I got.  I ran out of time, energy, and worst of all light.  I need to upgrade my lighting somewhat or spend more work in the daylight.

Here is a look from a little farther back.  I would have liked to pulled it outside and clean the garage and take some pics but I didn't want to take the time to reinstall a seat.

Those flat fenders make really neat places to stack stuff.  And, did you notice that I got some new shoes.  I'm working hard on being ready to go somewhere.

rjtx667

those tires look just a wee bit nicer than what you had.

Its going to look sharp with that wood bed... I dig it, I really dig it  :laughing7:  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

So what type and size are the tires?  They look good.   :thumbsup:

workgoats

Tires are 32x11.5x15 Sport King. I guess they are all terrains. I put the 33s and wheels from the red truck on the RC from Nick and the tires from Nick's were mounted on the Willyreplica. Sad part is that it hasn't been out of the garage since the tires were mounted. 

I hope to tow it to work toward the end of the week so I can drive it around a little. I would like to see how bad they are going to rub.

I suspect they are wide enough that I may have to extend the front fenders to get a title. Guys have told me that tires cannot extend out that far to satisfy the DOT people.

rjtx667

Quote from: workgoats on March 04, 2013, 06:11:08 AM
Tires are 32x11.5x15 Sport King. I guess they are all terrains. I put the 33s and wheels from the red truck on the RC from Nick and the tires from Nick's were mounted on the Willyreplica. Sad part is that it hasn't been out of the garage since the tires were mounted. 

I hope to tow it to work toward the end of the week so I can drive it around a little. I would like to see how bad they are going to rub.

I suspect they are wide enough that I may have to extend the front fenders to get a title. Guys have told me that tires cannot extend out that far to satisfy the DOT people.

sounds easier to borrow a smaller set of tires for the title inspection, your daughter has some 31's on the same bolt pattern I believe?  :icon_scratch:

Will be cool once its titled and on the street.

Are you driving the new RC around yet? You play with the computer at all?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

workgoats

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 04, 2013, 07:52:31 AM

sounds easier to borrow a smaller set of tires for the title inspection, your daughter has some 31's on the same bolt pattern I believe?  :icon_scratch:

Will be cool once its titled and on the street.

Are you driving the new RC around yet? You play with the computer at all?

I need to extend the front fenders anyway because if I don't I will be getting mud in the face all the time. 

I have not yet done anything with the RC other than buying and downloading the tuning program and the viewer.  I'm not sure my computer will work with the usb serial adapter.

SixGun

Quote from: workgoats on March 04, 2013, 03:51:55 PM
I need to extend the front fenders anyway because if I don't I will be getting mud in the face all the time. 

I think you should test it first and let us get some pictures

workgoats

Quote from: SixGun on March 04, 2013, 03:56:27 PM

I think you should test it first and let us get some pictures

phillip637

1985 Ramcharger 4WD 318/727/np208. 4bbl cammed headers
1989 Ramcharger LE 4WD 318TBI/727/np241
1990 W250 318TBI/A518/np241
2000 Dakota 3.9 magnum 2WD

workgoats

The bed is nearing completion.  I still have to put the floor together.  It will be a trap door.  There are the two compartments below it with the tools, battery and air tank.

The dark wood is Ipe wood and the light colored is something that arrived as packing protection for something delivered to our warehouse.  I will be poly-urethaning the light colored wood but the Ipe wood will be oiled.  Then I plan on painting the steel and fiberglass around the area before doing a final install on the wood.