News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Willyreplica from the start...

Started by workgoats, July 26, 2012, 11:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

Damn Ron, you should've worked for Detroit.   :icon_salut:

That wood looks really good.  I noticed the lights went to over and under.  I like the trap door idea.  Are you going to be able to secure it with a lock of some sort?
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

workgoats

Quote from: SixGun on March 09, 2013, 02:05:41 PM
Damn Ron, you should've worked for Detroit.   :icon_salut:

That wood looks really good.  I noticed the lights went to over and under.  I like the trap door idea.  Are you going to be able to secure it with a lock of some sort?

I hate tail lights. Spent two nights messing with them. The Old mounts for the lights will have to stay because they help support the fenders. One set is LED and the other is old school.

There will just be one door and I will make it key lockable but probably not before April.

Tomorrow I plan to dis-assemble all the wood and paint the metal around it. I hope I can figure out how to put it back together.

SixGun

Number them in an inconspicous location.

workgoats

Quote from: SixGun on March 09, 2013, 02:53:24 PM
Number them in an inconspicous location.

Probably won't get that far tomorrow.  Spent part of today at a play day, watching a grand-daughter ride barrels.  I still have one piece to do, a top rail with the round roll bar running through it at a 50 degree angle.

workgoats

I finally got a chance to drive it out of the garage tonight.  I discovered that at least part of my garage still has a concrete floor.

Here is the view of the new bed as I pulled it out.

And here is the front view.  Changes since it was last outside include the new tires, 32x11.50x15 ATs that I removed from the RC in the driveway.  I put my 33s from the no longer red truck on the RC.  Of course, the bed and the cab are new too.

Here, parked by the RC, it looks a lot bigger than it really is.  The tires on the RC are 33s and the ones on the Willyreplica are 32s.

From the rear it is a in a little better perspective.  The cab is very small.  The seats are close together and there is very little room between the seat and the door.  It is high but I did the best I could to keep the weight low.  When it had a 904 tranny instead of the 727 that is in it now, there wasn't any hump at all.  Now it has about a 3" hump.

I have moved the winch to the rear bumper for this pic.  Sooner or later I will build a tailgate, probably a steel frame with a wood center.  I might get that done before Ram Jam.

The floor of the bed raises for access to two storage compartments.

The rear compartment is over the gas tank and has room for the steel winch cable (in case I cut the plasma rope), the winch controls, jumper cables, various hitches and a bunch of recovery stuff.

The front compartment holds the winch battery, the on-board air tank, the jack and has room for some spare parts.

The wheel base is the same as the axle donor vehicle, a 4 dr Cherokee.  Adding the cab and the bed make it look a lot bigger than it did before.  I did put a lot of weight in the bed and feel like it is now a lot better balanced.  I hope to tow it to the work location where I can drive it around on the private drive and in the woods.

That will have to wait several days as it is our spring break and we are headed to a state park for a few days.

SixGun

Nice profile pic of the Willys.  Can't wait to see it painted like the rest.  It's like a whole different vehicle. :thumbsup:

rjtx667

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

workgoats

rjtx667

PAINT!!!! I see paint!!!

looks good  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

You gonna call it Ole Yeller ???   :13:

workgoats

I had a 68 Dodge Dart GT that was that color.

My first name is William. Maybe it should be the "Yeller Willy".

SixGun

Quote from: workgoats on March 22, 2013, 05:47:02 AM
Maybe it should be the "Yeller Willy".
Noooooooooo..... :nono:  You've got a sick mind Ron.

Maybe Free Willy   :laughing7:

workgoats

Quote from: SixGun on March 22, 2013, 07:18:42 PM
Noooooooooo..... :nono:  You've got a sick mind Ron.

Maybe Free Willy   :laughing7:

Not a chance. Ain't been nothing free on this project.  What was free was erased by the amount of time spent.

SixGun

ernestgonzales78@gmail.com

76 F100 4X4 FORD (AKA MISTRESS)
86 3/4 ton 4X4 CHEVY
07 3500 DODGE FLATBED (TOY HAULER)