News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

OFF ROAD Expedition Trailer/Camper

Started by ProjectM880, May 11, 2013, 02:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectM880

So Ive been going back and forth about a tent offroad trailer, Offroad camper , or a Full on RV. Im done sleeping on the ground in a tent even though i have several tents and even a hammock tent. Im ready to move on. I really dont want a full on 30 foot camper because I want to be able to use my W200 to tow it one day. Kinda of a Expedition truck.
Ive been looking at www.expeditionportal.com and many guys build small single axle trailers with kind of  chuck wagon style bottom and fold out tent. I kinda like this but ultimatly im back to being in a tent. Ive considered outfitting a old Military M101A2 trailer and making it into a inclosed offroad trailer. But finding one with the 8 lug bolt pattern at the right price and condition seems to be difficult.
My other option that im really leaning towards is a 13-16 Casita Camper. Single Axle 1-2 people camper. They seem to have a cult following and you can find them pop up on craigslist every once in awhile. Ive also seem them with mild lift and tires which seem to let them go down most dirt trails.
My other option which is not really practicle or cost effective is a RV. Ive been on the look out for a 60's-70's Travco that i could drop a cummins in and use that to tow my dodge around to offroad adventures. But Like I said, not really practical or cheap.

Have any of yall built Offroad trailers or campers?

taz_man440

Im still on the lookout for a school bus sale.  Almost got one fir $50 but lost to a coin toss.......Lookin for a 72 passenger I can cut down & do a flatbed on the back end...   you can even convert to 4x4...  Diesel, paint cammo, pa system playin deliverance theme..... awesome!
2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

ProjectM880

Ive seen that before. I think at the first ramjam they're were pictures of one with a Purple RC on the back. Pretty cool. I always pass this big used school yard off of I-10 in east texas on my way to LA. You want me to right down the number next time i pass it?
Ive also Consider mabe a Uhaul truck converded to a RV. Unless I can find a M886...... But the odds are slim. I found one locally years ago. I should of bought it.

taz_man440

I know the bus yard you speak of.... not cheap.. $3500 & up... I deliver dirty loads down fm 563 ( exit 810)...  I almost bought one for $600 once... but it was a ford w/460 gas.... i want diesel....
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

ProjectM880

Ah ok. I will keep on the look out for one if you keep a look out for a 77 M886 For me. I think thats my plan either offroad camper or M886.

ProjectM880

MT_84Ram

I've checked out the Casita also  -  and if I ever buy anything, my current choice is 17' Freedom model.

taz_man440

Quote from: ProjectM880 on May 11, 2013, 05:30:47 PM
your looking for something like this in a diesel?
http://easttexas.craigslist.org/cto/3781682777.html

Thats the idea....  just not so old of a model..... might even consider a " Short Bus" to tow with.  Lol

http://waco.craigslist.org/rvs/3717504554.html

Really like this but he wants too much for it....
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

ProjectM880

Quote from: taz_man440 on May 12, 2013, 08:12:49 AM
Thats the idea....  just not so old of a model..... might even consider a " Short Bus" to tow with.  Lol

NOW that would be a site! Will pulling up in a short bus. The one liners would be endless

Toyradio

I have a short bus for a couple of years. Had a mobile shop set up in it. Also had a bed ect for camping.  We also put a draw tight hitch set up under it for towing. Worked out real good. :13:

taz_man440

2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

taz_man440

Skip, we all know you fit the profile of a short bus driver...lol   
That's another reason I want one... to be part of such an "Elite" group...lol
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

Toyradio

Had to have something to haul certain folks around in. Didn't want them to feel left out!

taz_man440

Now I feel left out.... You never let me ride.... I keep my helmet on & my crayons to myself....
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

SixGun

Ahhh man... you guys are too much.   :laughing4:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket