News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1976 Big Block RC build

Started by SixGun, July 27, 2012, 10:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

Unfortunately no, my son and my brother-in-law keep hounding me to get going on it again.

Dave gave me a BB 727 that needs rebuilding.  The 203 is still in the back of the RC.  That sucker is so dirty and greasy that I'm gonna get it rebuilt first instead of 2nd guessing it.  Found a place I trust and at a decent price.  They recommended a tranny shop for me.  The 383 motor(s) need a rebuild.  I had one sitting in Corpus that some of the parts are now missing or stolen and some parts were too far gone.  So I bought a 2nd motor on the cheap to get rebuilt.  This will be a trail rig and not a hotrod so I figured on a stock rebuild.  Big Block primarily for the torque and of course I miss my old 383.  Everyone wants to do an HP build at HP prices but it's not cost effective for me since it won't be on the street because of title issues.  I was quoted $1600 and up.  Body and interior are not pretty but it is complete.  Ernest has a decent top for me. Problem is that I'm not sure what I want to run for a top.  At least a non-swiss cheeser would keep the rain and bugs out.  Ryan sold me the axles from his 91.  Back 9.25 has limited slip.  Front has CAD.  The 76 rear 9.25 has open axles.  Will be swapping them.  The front D44, I will probably swap spindles outward.  This will give me the 5x5.5 bolt pattern that I want and need for the 33's I'm using on the RAM.  Ron set me up with some Warn hubs also.

So what's the holdup?  $$$ and time spent on the RAM.  Just need a kick in the butt to get motivated again too. 
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

what kind of title issue is there? i don't remember reading anything about that.

your not the only person being hounded to work on a project vehicle. i know i keep pushing my sister to try getting her boyfriend to fix up his bronco. in the 3+ year they have been together he has done nothing to it at all and now his parent vehicle needs $10k worth of work and he is trying to find a vehicle to use or borrow. if he had fixed his bronco he would have had a vehicle already.

SixGun

Bought without a title.  The last time it was titled was in California.  I filled out an online change of title form with California DMV.  Never got a response back.  Tried talking with Texas DMV and was given a booklet of things to get done before "applying" for a title.  The main thing is getting CA DMV to give me a written release of title.   With this I will still need to apply for a TX title with an inspection of vehicle.  It is an antique vehicle according to TX rules.  So once it is released it should not be too bad as far as insurance and registration costs. 

rjtx667

eh easier to just get it done as a bonded tittle as long as you have a bill of sale... it's what I did  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

sounds like you just need to try again. California DMV might just be busy.

SixGun

Moved from RAMM'D 150 thread. 

Well I went to the JY yesterday and picked up a few things.  I found a lil gem that I wanted to share.  I have a console for the RC already but it's in rough shape.  I have found quite a few before but usually in bad shape or odd colors like red or blue.  This time it was a neutral color and complete.  It also has a couple of drink holders mounted - one in front and one in back.  Pretty neat idea I think.  The console already has the deep cupholders which is a plus.

This truck also had a PowerTrax sticker on the back glass.  So I decide to check out the 9 1/4 rear but the yoke was already pulled and the axle wouldn't turn.  Oh well...

SixGun

Was a little bored today and started messing with the intake and carb that came off the 383 motor.  It was a 67 motor with a Carter BBD 2bbl and intake.  It was full of mud dauber nests and caked with sludge.  I sprayed the whole setup with a high pressure hose and cleaned a lot of the mud off.  I noticed that the linkage and butterflies worked easily.  I sprayed it with carb cleaner and a cleaning brush.  Wow, it cleaned up nicely and seems to work fine.  I have a lot of things moving along right now for the RC and thought I could save a bundle going with this setup for now.   I went ahead and ordered a carb kit today.

BTW, I ordered a Rough Country 4" lift.  I plan on using the front springs with the kit and their Nitro Shocks all around.  On the back, use their hardware but do a shackle flip and ditch their block.   I was thinking that with an add-a-leaf (2") and the approx 5" from the flip I might just remove the factory block all together.

9dawgs

I'd be interested to see the installation of the Rough Country lift.  I'm thinking of doing the same when I get enough $$ saved up. :great:
'86 Dodge Ramcharger, 4X4, 318, 727, NPG208, General Grabber AT2 285/75R16s, Rough Country Nitro RCX 9000 Shocks
'04 Volvo XC70, AWD, 2.5L T5 Turbo
'99 Astro 4x2, 4.3L, 4"OLV lift, RS5000 Shocks, BFGoodrich 31x10.50 DECEASED...

SixGun

I'll be sure to take some pics.  The front should be pretty easy.  The hard part will be swapping axles at the same time.  Hopefully my son or brother-in-law can lend some muscle. :)

SixGun

:thumbsup:

Just received my 4" lift kit from Rough Country.  Nice kit for the money.  Took a couple of weeks to come in and the anticipation was awful.  The front springs are shipped individually without any packing and the black paint was all scuffed up.  :disgust:  They will need a coat of paint before throwing them on.  It comes with new front springs with new sleeves,bushings and hardware, new studs and u-bolts for the front leafs, and even has a steering block included.  The rear kit has add-a-leafs, a small 2" lift block, longer u-bolts and hardware.  For an extra $100 bucks I opted for the nitro shocks all around.  That's just $25 a piece - a steal of a deal.  I used Rocky Mountain Suspension and asked for the RCC discount.  The shipping was free and it was out the door for $424.  It was shipped directly from Rough Country.    :dance:

crazzywolfie

sweet. it will be nice to see this thing moving.

SixGun

Thanks, it's exciting to get rolling on this project after a bit of a stall out.  Transmission and motor are getting worked on as we speak. Friend of a friend type deal so it's slowly simmering on a back burner so to speak. 

Really need to get a mount and shackles for a rear shackle flip.  That way I can leave the blocks off the rear leaf pack. 

crazzywolfie

ya. i was wondering if you were going to do the shackle flip in the rear. i know Jungle Jim's stuff always seems to look good after it has been installed. i know i always keep reading bad things about lifting the trucks with blocks.

SixGun

You know when Jim first started doing the shackle flips he intended them to use the factory blocks.  When I contacted him recently he is really sold on using the 56" Chevy leafs without the blocks.  That would run quite a bit more cost and may be a project way down the road.  For now, I may just use a rear leaf / front hanger as a rear mount.  I can't seem to find the exact lift on this but by most accounts seems to be 5" approx.  The factory block on mine is 3.5" and the rough country one is 2".    Jim suggested his drop down rear leaf / front hanger and then I could move the front original hanger to the back.  By relocating the hanger under the frame, that would also make the spring eye bolts easier to remove.  If you ever removed the front eye bolts on the rear leafs, you know what a PITA they are.  I know they are worth it but Jim's stuff will take a good chunk of cash.  One thing always leads to another - seems like it never ends.   :iagree:

crazzywolfie

ya. one thing leads to another. a big money pit. at least it sound like you have been talking to the guy that knows about lifting these things.