News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1976 Big Block RC build

Started by SixGun, July 27, 2012, 10:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

workgoats

I'm pretty sure the transmission has been done.  I will try to get it picked up in time to take it to Hidden Falls.  If I use Nick's trailer that will make it easier since they are only two miles apart.

SixGun

YA - HOO   :035:

Thanks a million Ron. :You_Rock_Emoticon:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

SixGun

Forgot to mention that I got these hood emblems in the other day.

crazzywolfie

those will look so cool on the hood

SixGun

Yeah, I think so too.  I've also got a larger 383 Magnum fender emblem that attaches with 2 push pins that I want to put on the passenger side dash plaque. 

Ernest has someone working on the 383 right now.  I've got a missed call from him earlier.  Hope it's good news on the motor.  I better start putting some time on the RC.  Still need the drop hangers for the rear spring from Jungle and rebuild the NP203.  I've got a line on a 4 row radiator and power steering pump from a 440 TD.  Hope that comes through.  Same guy that Dave wants the hood from.  It's hard to get ahold of him though.  Might just drive out there again. 

SixGun

Well I went to Harbor Freight to price a sander to use on my compressor.  Everything was on sale and I went home with alot more than I needed.  I just couldn't resist.  Picked up a sand blaster with a 20oz hopper, a 3" cutting wheel, cutting discs for the 3" and for my 4 1/2" electric angle grinder, a 6" dual action sander and some sanding discs for less than a C note.  The only thing I didn't get was media for the blaster.  They only had walnut shells and glass media.  I figured that I would probably need aluminum oxide.  I want to clean up underneath the RC and the axles.  Ernest mentioned using playsand before.  Has anyone else done this?  I never know if he's messing with me or serious.   :icon_scratch:

crazzywolfie

i see that you forgot to mention getting a sandblasting mask. you need something to cover your face/head while blasting. i use my sisters old welding helmet with a piece of plexi glass taped to it. a sandblasting mask would work better but i don't want to spend the money. if you catch a siphon feed blaster on sale you may want to pick one up just because that 20oz of sand does not go very far. i know picked up a siphon feed blaster for $10 and i have been pretty happy with it. i don't think you would need aluminum oxide to remove rust. i usually just use sand blasting sand that i pick up for $6.50 a bag. i have heard of people using play sand but i think you usually have to sift it before using it.

SixGun

Where do you get that kind of sand from?  Hardware store?  From the sound of it, the siphon feed would grab it from a bag or bucket?

Thanks Mat

edit: I just found this at a Tractor Supply locally.  Sounds like a good deal.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/black-diamond-20-40-blasting-media-50-lb#desc-tab

crazzywolfie

some parts store carry it but you have to ask for it. you could also try find place that sells dirt, gravel and sand because they may sell bags of sandblasting sand cheaper. the place i buy my sand sells gravel, dirt and sand by the truck load but they also sells stuff like sand blasting sand. the cheap siphon feed blaster i got you just stab the tube into the bag and go to work. the ones with a bucket might work pretty good to. i just know i have something like the 20oz sandblaster and ya it works but it seems like your constantly refilling it plus you can't really go upside down with it where the siphon feed ones work any way you point them.

your welcome. i am just passing on some of the stuff i have learned.

SixGun

Well it's still in the box so I can return it. What kind did you buy and would you recommend it.  I looked at a few real quick and they seem to complain about short siphon hoses and tips wearing out.  Anything like that with yours?  Of course the size of the compressor makes a big difference but mine is pretty good size so I don't think it will be a big deal there.

crazzywolfie

this is the one i bought. even when it is not on sale they are cheap. don't know if you have any princess auto's down there. so far i have liked it. i think i have gone through at least 5 bags with it and it still seems to work good. i got 10 feet of hose.
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Siphon-Guns/Siphon-Feed-Abrasive-Blasting-Gun/6320360.p

the one you picked up might get you by until you can get a better one on sale. i know i have seen people recommend this one.  it just is not on sale right now
http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html

SixGun

I think I have found a good one.  Craftsman from Sears.  3 different size ceramic tips.  I read that the steel tips wear out faster.  10 ft hose.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-portable-sandblasting-kit/p-00916707000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2&PDP_REDIRECT=false&s_tnt=41486:3:0

crazzywolfie

i think that should work good. looks a lot like the one i have except that one says craftsman on the side. i think you would like it more than the hopper fed one. sand blasting feels like it takes forever but it feels even longer if you are refilling the hopper every 5 minute. i know the first project i tried my 18oz hopper fed sandblaster on seemed to take forever and i think i ended up saying "screw it, i am using my dads big pressure blaster".

SixGun

Went to the mother-in-laws to try out the sander on the top we bought from Ernest.  So much faster than the electric one we used last year.  Yolanda even tried it out.  Then we put a coat of Rustoleum on it.  Just did the top of it for now since it had quite a bit of surface rust.  Must have been repaired before.  It had several filled spots.  Uncovered some small holes that must have been for a luggage rack or something.  Several dented areas but since it's going to be a trail truck I'm not too worried.  It has the factory sunroof on it without the glass.  The back window is still good on the original truck so I will move it over.  Anyone have one of these sunroofs in working order so I can get a pic of how it opens?  If not I will just mount some plexiglass in it and call it good. 

9dawgs

Air tools are the bomb!  Wish i had a big enough compressor to run some.
'86 Dodge Ramcharger, 4X4, 318, 727, NPG208, General Grabber AT2 285/75R16s, Rough Country Nitro RCX 9000 Shocks
'04 Volvo XC70, AWD, 2.5L T5 Turbo
'99 Astro 4x2, 4.3L, 4"OLV lift, RS5000 Shocks, BFGoodrich 31x10.50 DECEASED...