News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1976 Big Block RC build

Started by SixGun, July 27, 2012, 10:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectPW

with a sleeve it needs to be pretty tight-- without a sleeve it will not be tight because it will just smash the bushing if it were--if you go sleeveless :tard: use a locking nut on your through bolts to keep em on there without smashing the bushing  :great:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

SixGun

Ha ha...  I found some steel round tubing at Home Depot and it fit like a glove. 3 ft for $9.  I can do 3 vehicles now. :13:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

SixGun

The postman delivered some goodies today.  Jungle's u-bolt flip plates and Gatsby Truck's shackle flip spring hangers came in.  The New hangers bolt into the same bolt holes as the factory hangers.  Grade 8 bolts came with the kit.  Jungle's parts are HD.  I'll post some pics tomorrow.

SixGun

Cut 4 sleeves for the bushings.  In the center of the metal sleeves there is a bead where it was welded together.  I used a small round file in a vise to smooth it out.  This tiny bead was all it took to prevent the bolt from going through.  Here's a pic of how snug it is.

I'm also playing with rust removal using electrolysis.  Watched a video on YouTube and I'm trying it on the leaf spring clamps.

SixGun

I am going to flip the rear axle ubolts so I will need some shock mounts.  I was going to remove the ones initially off the 91 CAD axle since I will already be using the knuckles out. However, I couldn't bring myself to cut it up. So I changed it to plan B and decided to cut up the old shock mounts. 

ProjectM880

Good idea!  :thumbsup:

Can;t wait to see this thing in action! When is ernie going to finish that motor?

SixGun

The machine shop finished but not sure if he has picked it up yet.  Tranny is done and sitting at Ron's place.  I might need some valve covers though.  Ernest banged mine up with your tractor loading it at your place.  :lol_hitting:

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on February 09, 2014, 05:35:27 PM
The machine shop finished but not sure if he has picked it up yet.  Tranny is done and sitting at Ron's place.  I might need some valve covers though.  Ernest banged mine up with your tractor loading it at your place.  :lol_hitting:

Yeah I probably should of Operated the tractor  ;)

I will keep my eyes open for a pair.

SixGun

He told me he hammered them out but remains to be seen.    :dontknow:

ProjectPW

Is this where that 383 went  :dontknow: .....

SixGun

Yep, we had been talking about him building the motor for me for about a year.  He has a guy that he uses for his motors to do the machine shop work.  Keeping it basically stock with a small cam upgrade and valve springs.  Ernest will do the assembly.  I had some parts shipped for it.  New damper, fuel pump, water pump and inlet.  I even sent some VHT in the color I wanted lol.  I had picked up a Mopar rear sump oil pan kit with dipstick and windage tray that I still need to get to him. 

Some things I still need are distributor (not sure what to go with) and possibly an oil pump depending on whether or not it comes with the motor work.  Long blocks I've had done in the past come with one.  Thing is, I've always heard that B/RB motors like hi volume but not hi pressure oil pumps.  Rebuilders don't like them on new motors though in my past experience. Any thoughts on this?

Looks like a big problem might be getting ahold of a big block power steering bracket for a truck.  High mounts are getting scarce apparently.

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on February 12, 2014, 11:03:41 AM
Yep, we had been talking about him building the motor for me for about a year.  He has a guy that he uses for his motors to do the machine shop work.  Keeping it basically stock with a small cam upgrade and valve springs.  Ernest will do the assembly.  I had some parts shipped for it.  New damper, fuel pump, water pump and inlet.  I even sent some VHT in the color I wanted lol.  I had picked up a Mopar rear sump oil pan kit with dipstick and windage tray that I still need to get to him. 

Some things I still need are distributor (not sure what to go with) and possibly an oil pump depending on whether or not it comes with the motor work.  Long blocks I've had done in the past come with one.  Thing is, I've always heard that B/RB motors like hi volume but not hi pressure oil pumps.  Rebuilders don't like them on new motors though in my past experience. Any thoughts on this?

Looks like a big problem might be getting ahold of a big block power steering bracket for a truck.  High mounts are getting scarce apparently.

I would stick with a stock replacement distributor, preferably new Mopar. I have had good luck with a properly wired Mopar electronic ignition system, but there are other options such as a chevy HEI module wired in with an ecore coil which will get rid of the ballast resistor and be pretty cheap to rig and easy to find find parts for in a pinch. I have used the HEI conversion with great success on my 84 /6 truck with a mopar distributor. Keep in mind that a 383 is a low deck motor and I believe it uses a slightly shorter distributor than a high deck(440).

As far as oil pumps are concerned a stock replacement oil pump will be fine. Fancy oil pumps are for race cars running high RPM's.  The best thing to do is get a good
quality part. When in doubt call Mancini Racing as they will know whats best  :13:

Cant help you on brackets, but you can blame Eric for steeling the one of your 383  :tongue3:

ProjectPW

these are good distributors...a bit spendy, but Eric has one and it is the easiest thing you can ever install/wire and looks cool. keep in mind it will need HEI style plug wire ends for the distributor cap  :steeringwheel:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/ignitions-electrical/part-type/distributors/make/chrysler/engine-size/6-3l-383/brand/davis-unified-ignition

ProjectPW

here is the link on how to use a gm hei ignition mudule and get rid of the ballast resistor:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/1311_convert_a_ford_or_chrysler_ignition_to_gm_hei/

ProjectM880

Noah, I don't think Richard is using the 383 we gave Ron. When Ernie came and got the ford I gave him he picked up the 383 we gave Ron and Richards 383 for his Ramcharger.