News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1976 Big Block RC build

Started by SixGun, July 27, 2012, 10:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

Its a fight, its a fight. LOL

Yeah, mine is a 67 that I picked in Boerne, TX.  I should prolly call him back.  He may have one.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

SixGun

Getting back to distributors, the motor came with a single point distributor.  I was leafing through a Summit catalog and saw an electronic conversion kit from Pertronix.  Ignitor series has 3 levels and changes it from points to hall effect. Fits under the distributor cap and runs about a $100.  Anyone ever use this system?  The motor is a 67.

crazzywolfie

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on February 14, 2014, 09:24:34 PM
Getting back to distributors, the motor came with a single point distributor.  I was leafing through a Summit catalog and saw an electronic conversion kit from Pertronix.  Ignitor series has 3 levels and changes it from points to hall effect. Fits under the distributor cap and runs about a $100.  Anyone ever use this system?  The motor is a 67.

Those are very good kits. I have used them a couple of times with good success. Just make sure the distributor shaft bushings are not worn on the distributor housing. The shaft should have no side to side wiggle and it should turn freely. They are a very simple install and will get rid of everybodys favorite melted ignition module on the firewall  :great:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/pertronix/part-type/electronic-distributor-conversion-kits/make/dodge/stock-distributor/yes/engine-size/6-3l-383/year/1967

there are 2 available for your application. the more expensive unit will give a bit more spark @ higher RPM. Make sure you you use a new coil and ballast resistor also.  :steeringwheel:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

SixGun

Ahhh... so I still need those dad burn ballast resistors.  I was reading some reviews of the Pertronix conversion and they either love or hate them.  Most seem to like them.  Have you used that particular brand?  I've seen kits by Mallory and others but I like that the Pertronix has a rev limiter and higher voltage. Just picking your brain.  I appreciate the input.  A lot cheaper than a $300 kit.

ProjectPW

Yes I have used the pertronix kits they are super easy to setup and as long as your distributor is in good shape will last a long time. You may be able to use it with an e-core style coil (low resistance) which would not require a ballast resistor, however, I have not tried that

ProjectPW

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-45111/overview/

I believe that this coil can be used without a ballast, the tech support @ pertronix could verify that though

SixGun

Quote from: crazzywolfie on February 15, 2014, 12:03:55 AM
what about upgrading to a MSD ignition system? might be an idea
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/40071K/10002/-1
The main reason I don't Mat is the price tag.  Thanks though.

crazzywolfie

i know the price tag is a bit up there but i figure it really depends on what you have and what you might need. if the distributor you have is sloppy and needs to be replaces and you don't have spark plug wires, coil or ignition system for it then the prices is not that bad and you would be getting quality parts.

workgoats

I have the 383 you gave me in storage.  It will have to wait until after the 360 magnum makes it into the yeller truck then I will start on it.  First thing will be a vintage pickup to put it in.  It should end up as a road truck, pulling my trailer(s). 

Really want a 60's crew cab...

Or the 57 Power Wagon that Aaron has...

SixGun

Well I talked to Ernest yesterday and the motor is now sitting in his storage until after his trip.  He picked it up a few days ago. Looks like he has another stint at sea.  Here is where I get torn between pushing to just get the truck back together quickly or clean and paint everything slowly doin' it right.  I really hate doing things twice so probably go the slow route.  In any event, I'm grinning from ear to ear.   ;D

SixGun

Well after playing phone tag for a couple of days, I was able to score a reman Dodge mini  starter for a 2001 Ram off CL.  Never needed or used since purchased.  $90 starter for $50. No need for a core either, so saved even more. I put it in my 91 and it works perfect.   

crazzywolfie

sweet. that is a pretty good deal. i got a used compact starter for my truck and just maybe 1 day i will install it. til then i will just have to live with the massive old starter.

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on February 15, 2014, 08:27:42 AM
Ahhh... so I still need those dad burn ballast resistors.  I was reading some reviews of the Pertronix conversion and they either love or hate them.  Most seem to like them.  Have you used that particular brand?  I've seen kits by Mallory and others but I like that the Pertronix has a rev limiter and higher voltage. Just picking your brain.  I appreciate the input.  A lot cheaper than a $300 kit.

Here is a link to the low buck HEI conversion. Works great and very easy to get parts

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15779

SixGun

You the man Noah :thumbsup:

Thanks for that very detailed link.  Funny thing is, I was cleaning my single pickup dist.a couple days back.  Had a lot of stinky clay all over it.  Good thing is the inside was real clean.  I had a stuborn cap clamp that broke while trying to get it to pivot. Looks like more of a pita to change than replace it.  Sucker ...  :angry4: