News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1976 Big Block RC build

Started by SixGun, July 27, 2012, 10:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on March 27, 2014, 11:11:52 PM
Unfortunately I don't have Team Dodge Whisperer working on mine.

Just plugging along learning as I go.  It will get there eventually.  :BangHead:

I may need decals made for my team....  :headbang:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

SixGun

Ron could probably design some. :You_Rock_Emoticon:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectM880

SixGun

So what's worse than tearing apart one D44?   :017:

Tearing apart two D44's.  :laughing7:

Got the first one finished and started on the second one.  The 76 era D44 is notoriously a PITA.  So I read a lot on it and took a FSM just in case.  Of course with the FSM you need about a dozen special tools so I will have to improvise using PowerWagonPete' s teardown thread from RCC.  I was zooming along until I couldn't find anything big enough to remove the spindle socket.  The trusty pipe wrench fit but couldn't turn it with the studs in the way.  Anyone know what size socket that is?  I did get all the little 7/16" 12pt bolts out through the rotor.   That was fun. 

Let me pose a question.  The 91 brake calipers looked like doodoo so I was wondering if the 76 calipers would fit on the 91 knuckle? Brought all the parts home with me to mock it up. Too dark right now and the monster Skeeter's are feeding. I just wondered if anyone knew off hand so I don't toss and turn all night thinking about it.

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on April 01, 2014, 08:48:47 PM

Got the first one finished and started on the second one.  The 76 era D44 is notoriously a PITA.  So I read a lot on it and took a FSM just in case.  Of course with the FSM you need about a dozen special tools so I will have to improvise using PowerWagonPete' s teardown thread from RCC.  I was zooming along until I couldn't find anything big enough to remove the spindle socket.  The trusty pipe wrench fit but couldn't turn it with the studs in the way.  Anyone know what size socket that is?  I did get all the little 7/16" 12pt bolts out through the rotor.   That was fun. 

Let me pose a question.  The 91 brake calipers looked like doodoo so I was wondering if the 76 calipers would fit on the 91 knuckle? Brought all the parts home with me to mock it up. Too dark right now and the monster Skeeter's are feeding. I just wondered if anyone knew off hand so I don't toss and turn all night thinking about it.

Whats worse than trying to build one Dodge? Tearing down 2 COMPLETE trucks to make one TAN RC!!!???!!! We are getting close though!v :steeringwheel:

The Brake calipers in question are probably the same....but for about 30-40$ you could probably get two reman calipers @ oreilly's   

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/OBH3/184076/03345.oap?year=1991&make=Dodge&model=W150%2BPickup%2B4WD&vi=1100259&ck=Search_03345_1100259_2456&pt=03345&ppt=C0066

You should also replace hoses if at all possible....

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Brake+Hose/03349/C0066.oap?model=W150+Pickup+4WD&vi=1100259&year=1991&make=Dodge

You need a dial caliper to figure out your spindle nut size...but its a dodge it surely will be a readily available tool :violent1:....the other method includes BFH and a good drift punch or chisel. Just tap it off  :great: :great:

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on April 01, 2014, 08:48:47 PM

Though Im ll for saving a buck, when it comes to brakes Ive learn my lesson not to re-use old parts taht look worn. I personelly would spend the extra buck and get replacements with new pads. I know it will cost more but rockauto has some great deals.
I went a head and replaced everything on my Ramcharger because I was tired of dealing with crappy brakes on all my dodges. You don;t have to go to the extreme that i did. Factory replacement parts will be just fine and be a big improvement.

And When I say "I Replaced" Obviously I mean Noah  ::)

ProjectPW

Quote from: ProjectM880 on April 01, 2014, 09:11:02 PM
Though Im ll for saving a buck, when it comes to brakes Ive learn my lesson not to re-use old parts taht look worn. I personelly would spend the extra buck and get replacements with new pads. I know it will cost more but rockauto has some great deals.
I went a head and replaced everything on my Ramcharger because I was tired of dealing with crappy brakes on all my dodges. You don;t have to go to the extreme that i did. Factory replacement parts will be just fine and be a big improvement.

And When I say "I Replaced" Obviously I mean Noah  ::)

Whats funny is Eric's RC went on its maiden voyage with ABSOLUTELY NO BRAKES..none....1st gear LOW  works good though...2nd , 3rd ,& 4th work good too...  :steeringwheel:

ProjectM880

Quote from: ProjectPW on April 01, 2014, 09:19:59 PM
Whats funny is Eric's RC went on its maiden voyage with ABSOLUTELY NO BRAKES..none....1st gear LOW  works good though...2nd , 3rd ,& 4th work good too...  :steeringwheel:

And here is the down side to letting Noah build your RC......

I really should take the keys with me when I leave....... Wait, that wouldn;t work, He would just hot wire it :BangHead:

SixGun

You guys are a riot :laughing4:

Thanks for the quick response. Brake hoses were all dry rotted so that was a given.  I'll give it a shot bending my own lines.  Got a hold of brake booster and new master cylinder all ready.  You are absolutely right about the reman brake calipers.  Cheap insurance.

I tried a punch and bfh on the spindle but it no budgie. The socketss I've seen at  part houses are millimeter.

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on April 01, 2014, 09:47:38 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Brake hoses were all dry rotted so that was a given.  I'll give it a shot bending my own lines.  Got a hold of brake booster and new master cylinder all ready.  You are absolutely right about the reman brake calipers.  Cheap insurance.

I tried a punch and bfh on the spindle but bit it no budgie. The ones I've seen at  part houses are millimeter.

Ive used Flat Heads and Chisels to bang those spindles nuts off. Its no fun. I have no clue on the Size for a Dana 44 though. I had to buy one for the Dana 60 and even then I tore up and the previous owner tore up the Nut so bad that Noah ended up replaceing them  ::) Sure does pay to have the right tool for the right job.

SixGun

Quote from: ProjectM880 on April 01, 2014, 10:19:25 PM
Ive used Flat Heads and Chisels to bang those spindles nuts off. Its no fun. I have no clue on the Size for a Dana 44 though. I had to buy one for the Dana 60 and even then I tore up and the previous owner tore up the Nut so bad that Noah ended up replaceing them  ::) Sure does pay to have the right tool for the right job.

Its the knuckle I'm not keeping so I was hoping to avoid buying a socket.  Part of the tear down of the rotor is to bang the studs out. Can I do that with the rotor still on?  That way I can use my pipe wrench on that nut. Might even check if there is a loaner tool at AZ.

ProjectPW

You could probably drive the studs out holding the rotor, but until the hub is off the spindle it will do no good.  :dontknow:

crazzywolfie

Quote from: SixGun on April 01, 2014, 09:47:38 PM

bending brake lines is easy but if you want clean bends you should pick up a cheap tubing bender. i wish i had picked up a tubing bender sooner for bending brake line. also if you don't have the tools to make your own you see about picking them up and making your own lines. you can get the tools fairly cheap. you can get enough tubing and fittings to replace all the brake lines on a truck for about $20 once you have the double flaring tool. you can save lots of money making your own lines

rjtx667

you talking about the nut holding the outer axle on? Thats just a standard 4wd axle nut. I have a socket for it, if you want to borrow it... I think orielly rents them as well. I just bought it so I can bring it with me.

and yeah get the new calipers... 2 kinds, metal and non metal. Non metal are even cheaper.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Definitely will go with the metal piston brake calipers instead of phenolic. I've seen a lot of bad reviews for the phenolic pistons.

I picked up a 1-11/16 socket and tried a cheater bar today but it didn't budge.  I'm gonna have to take the air tools over to the in-laws. On the 76 D44, I removed the 12 pt bolts through the hole in the rotor.  On the other side, some genius decided to use Allen head bolts.   :017:

I finally finished cleaning all the crud and rust off the 91 knuckles, dust shields, caliper brackets and stub shafts.  Ball joints have been installed.  Just picked up some seals today for the inner shaft and pinion.  Looks like I will need to rob the yoke off the other D44.  The 76 has a chunk missing. Must have whacked it good wheelin' or something. Ordered the spindle seal kit for the stub shafts from 4 wheel parts. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differentials/Dana-44-Spindle-Seal-Kit.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=7575&t_pn=D%2fS706527X

Tell you what, it is very confusing ordering parts for 2 different year axles.