News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1976 Big Block RC build

Started by SixGun, July 27, 2012, 10:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

Couple of days of soaking 76 D44 axle with PB blaster and put the impact to it and still couldn't get that axle nut off. So I took a chisel and BFH to the castle but.  Took quite a bit of pounding before I noticed some movement and then the impact took us on home.  Funny thing is that once that castle nut came off, the rotor, spindle and axle shafts literally just fell right off. This was the axle I was worried about? Pffft... :toothy9:

I made a Mopar buddy that lives about 5 miles away.  Told me to come use his parts washer.  I'm gonna have to take him up on that.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

Quote from: SixGun on April 08, 2014, 10:32:41 PM
Definitely will go with the metal piston brake calipers instead of phenolic. I've seen a lot of bad reviews for the phenolic pistons.
i got the phenolic pistons in the brake calipers on my 81 and so far they have done just fine but i have driven less than 20,000km in since i put my truck on the road and most of the time i can drive around without using my brakes.

SixGun

Quote from: crazzywolfie on April 10, 2014, 12:25:21 PM
i got the phenolic pistons in the brake calipers on my 81 and so far they have done just fine but i have driven less than 20,000km in since i put my truck on the road and most of the time i can drive around without using my brakes.

Lookout, everybody stay off the sidewalk!

Seriously, I did a search to see what they were and I couldn't believe the bad reviews.  Apparently if they overheat they are toast. No rebuilding them and mechanics steer clear of them.

crazzywolfie

lol. i don't drive like a woman. race up to red light and then slam on the brakes. if i see a red light my foot usually comes off the gas and i coast.

with how cheap calipers are i don't think i would personally rebuild them. if all else fails i got a set of litely used newer calipers off my 91 which i would guess had the steel pistons. my 91 had brand new brakes everywhere but never went anywhere.

SixGun

Finally did some sandblasting today.  Not as fun as I thought it was gonna be. Too hot with all the protective gear.  Too hard to see details in the shade and too hot in the sun. Mat, you weren't kidding about the mess everywhere. Lol

I tried play sand first and it was too moist and needed to be sifted. So I tried Black Diamond abrasive from Northern Tool.  Good reviews, fine grit and advertised for paint and rust removal.  Paint and crud came off but didn't remove rust. Fortunately, the D44 was clay and grease removal.  Some light scraping and wire wheel afterwards really cleaned it up.  Ready for paint- hopefully tomorrow.

ProjectM880

The axle came out great Richard! can;t wait to see it all in paint.

When Are we going to see pictures of the whole RC?????

We need to plan a meet up when I get back in two weeks somewhere half way between you and Ron so we can all exchange parts and Lies ! HAHA

SixGun

Ernie said he's up for a meet too.  He's outta town as well.  I told him to get his butt home so we can get some stuff done on the transfer and motor.  Lol
He supposed to show me how to rebuild the transfer.

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on April 23, 2014, 04:01:20 PM
Ernie said he's up for a meet too.  He's outta town as well.  I told him to get his butt home so we can get some stuff done on the transfer and motor.  Lol
He supposed to show me how to rebuild the transfer.

Yeah I need to get a 78 Grill from Ernie, a Skid Plate from Ron, Give Dave a Steering box brace, and Im sure there are more random parts yall need. We just need to make a list and set a time.

crazzywolfie

glad you love the sandblasting so much :evil6: lol. it is a nasty job. i have been learning a bit more about cleaning. the better you can clean things the less blasting you have to do. sandblasting removes paint easily but takes more work to remove rust. cleaning all the grease and dirt of with a pressure washer before sandblasting always helps. if you sand blast lots of small parts it might be worth investing in a small sandblasting cabinet. i am actually working on building a good size one just because of how much blasting i do and will be doing this summer.

SixGun

Mat, what kind of abrasive do you use for rust?

Got the front axle primered up with rusty metal primer. Been coating everything with it.  Love that stuff. A gallon can goes a long way. Keep running outta black spray bombs to top coat everything though.  I need to reload my stash of paint.

crazzywolfie

i think the stuff i use is called white lightning. i think it is a 20-40 grit which makes it more coarse than the black diamond stuff you used which is a 30-60 grit stuff. if you plan on doing enough sand blasting you may want to call up places that sell dirt, gravel or sand. they may also sell bags of sand blasting sand cheaper than the stores. i know i found a place that sells sandblasting sand for about $3/per bag cheaper than the stores for the exact same stuff. 

SixGun

I'll have to check into that. Thanks  :icon_salut:

SixGun

Arrrrrrrrrg.,... Broke one of the caps on my brand new Spicer axle ujoints.  :angry4:

:character0029: :violent-smiley-007:

rjtx667

you are worse than me, at least I was doing something questionable at the time :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

Quote from: rjtx667 on April 29, 2014, 06:57:32 PM
you are worse than me, at least I was doing something questionable at the time :laughing7:

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!