News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1976 Big Block RC build

Started by SixGun, July 27, 2012, 10:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

Well Noah was right.... Usually only break caps or straps.   :BangHead:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

SixGun

Well I have the D44 mounted back on the truck.  I decided to mount it before pulling out the carrier and change seals. Awkward positioning I guess.  Remember I'm using the 76 differential.  I pull the carrier out and right away I notice the carrier bearing races are pitted really bad. There's a lot of grit inside the housing and clay in the bearings. Oh oh... I think the grit came through a deformed axle tube seal. I'm not sure how it balloonef out that way but the grit was  obviously coming in that seal. In addition to that, there is what looks like a broken oil slinger in the carrier.  I still have what's left of the 91 D44
  I wonder if the 91 carrier would fit in the 76 housing.? Assimg it is in good shape.

crazzywolfie

you seem to have the best luck ever with that thing :laughing7:

SixGun

Somebody wheeled that thing hard at some point.   :tongue3:

SixGun

From looking at an exploded view, it appears to be a broken thrust washer in the carrier. I hope the 91 carrier is in good shape. Apparently it is a direct swap.

crazzywolfie

sounds like it would have probably been easier to just use the 91's axle by this point in time

SixGun

Maybe but I still would have taken it apart to put in seals, change fluid, check condition inside. On the outside, change ball joints, seals, check bearings etc.  The one that gave the most problems was the 91 axle tearing down the knuckles out.  Rust was the issue with that one. Helluva time separating everything.  The 76 was covered in clay/ mud which preserved the metal. After sandblasting and wire wheel it was clean. Internals a different matter but knuckles out it was remove and toss so to speak.

Condition aside, the CAD axle for a full time setup is an issue in itself. Also would need to deal with the ugly CAD hardware on top of the axle instead of a clean tube. Would need to get posi-look setup or lock it permanantly.  There is a fitment issue with the 203 to CAD I found out also.  There's pros and con's both ways but I'm nearing the end of this axle. Thank god ... Lol.  Biggest issue is never having done this before. Its not so scarey now venturing into uncharted waters.  Second biggest issue is money.  Not just for parts and cleaners and paint but specialty tools.

rjtx667

Remember folks the CAD axle came from Kansas on the rust bucket I had to scrap because it had holes in the frame.

I have no doubt that axle was a PITA to deal with.

On the other hand... I will have ANOTHER d44 (not as rusty) that needs um... "minor internal work" (all of which you have the parts for) in the near future.

It could be given for free, just no delivery.

And I guess technically those are 92 axle's not 91.. though I am sure it was assembled in 91.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Not knocking it Ryan. The internals were in great shape. The outside got the road salt.  The 76 inside was yuck. No maintenance with the original Spicer stuff inside. Yours had new seals, clean fluid and new bearings & races. I swapped the ring & pinion with all the guts over.  I still need to check clearances but it feels good right now.

workgoats

My little truck has a dana 30 in the front.  I have the right socket.  I put a long breakover on it, put a floor jack under the end of that, picked up the left side of the truck (diff on the left), and jumped up and down on the bumper and it still wouldn't budge.  I'm waiting on Ernest and a 3/4" impact wrench...

SixGun

Quote from: workgoats on May 10, 2014, 09:07:20 PM
My little truck has a dana 30 in the front.  I have the right socket.  I put a long breakover on it, put a floor jack under the end of that, picked up the left side of the truck (diff on the left), and jumped up and down on the bumper and it still wouldn't budge.  I'm waiting on Ernest and a 3/4" impact wrench...

You talking spindle or pinion nut? The spindle nut on the 76 was a real PITA.  Lots of pb blaster, chisel, bfh and impact.  The pinion nut on both D44's were surprisingly easy con side ring they are torqued to 220 lbs.  I used a 1/2" breaker bar and a 3ft cheater pipe.  For leverage on the yoke, I used a big pipe wrench against a very solid 4x6 block of wood. It started real slow but gradually came off. Crow bar took off the yoke.   :13:

I'll probably impact that pinion nut back on since my torque wrench only goes to 150 lbs.

SixGun

I have a craftsman vise that I've had for years. Lately it has refused to lock down completely so I decided to take it apart and remount it if needed. Lookie what I found. 

:wtf:  highly doubt that vises fall under the lifetime craftsman warranty.  More money on tools instead of parts.  Arrrrg  :character0029:

ProjectM880

The following are Dodge Engineering acceptable repairs

Vise-Grip
C- Clamp
JB Weld
Duct Tape

SixGun

OK Mcgeiver... How about a drill and a bolt?  Obviously couldn't tighten it to the base soooo I drilled through my work bench for the 2 positions I use most.  Now a bolt locks it down. Takes a little longer to swap positions but for the money saved - yeehaw. Bench vises are sure expensive these days.  This should extend the life of it for a while. Besides duct tape is a sticky mess.  :laughing7:

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on May 30, 2014, 02:24:43 PM
OK Mcgeiver... How about a drill and a bolt?  Obviously couldn't tighten it to the base soooo I drilled through my work bench for the 2 positions I use most.  Now a bolt locks it down. Takes a little longer to swap positions but for the money saved - yeehaw. Bench vises are sure expensive these days.  This should extend the life of it for a while. Besides duct tape is a sticky mess.  :laughing7:

Oh Sure, Do it the Right way and make the rest of use look bad  :laughing7:

I still think JB Weld and Duct tape are the real solution to everything.