News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1976 Big Block RC build

Started by SixGun, July 27, 2012, 10:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

shouldn't need it if your heater core is working properly. just having a heater box that has a/c from the factory even if you don't plan on installing a/c is the best way to go. my 93 puts out way more heat at 140 than my 81 and the only difference is the heater box. on trucks without a/c the air gets sucked through the heater core. on trucks with a/c the air gets pushed through the heater core. makes a huge difference.

SixGun

You're right, one would suck (evap coil side) and heater side pushes. My thinking is that an open to the elements poptop could use a little help. I wonder if the difference you speak of is the different style of heater box or clogged fins in the heater core impeding airflow. Mine were full of debris. Another reason to close off the vent and use recirculated air.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

well i cleaned out the heater box good when i first got my 81 and changed the heater core a year or so ago with a good used one. the fins were all clear and it would get hot but it just didn't seem like to warm up the cab very quick. i blocked off part of the vent with a piece of cereal box left the interior vent open and didn't really seem to make a change. the cab would eventually get warm but i think that more so had to do with my electric fans not kicking on till 220* or so.

now my 93 with a/c i find it starts pumping out heat at 140 and gets better from there. now the only difference that i know between the 2 is heater core location with i think makes a huge difference. on the trucks without a/c all that heat gets sucked through the cold blower motor loosing some of the heat where on a truck with a/c air is blown through the heater core and out the vents with less heat lost.

SixGun

Aha, I see what you mean about push and pull now. Wow,  I see yours had a lot of big leaves. Mine looked like greasy mud and matted hair. Remember,  mine was broken on the engine side between the blower and heater core. Engine gunk could have gotten in. The hair was probably mice. Do you think, in you case, that a vent hose has become disconnected.

crazzywolfie

actually those pics are not mine. i found them on RCC a while ago. my 81 had a mouse nest in it when i got it. the area by the access door was packed pretty full but luckily they didn't get any farther into my heater box than that. i ended up vacuuming my heater box out the best i could from the access hole in the cab and then removed the blower motor and blew out the rest with air

ProjectM880

You ready to sell that winch bumper to me yet??  :dance:

SixGun

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on January 03, 2015, 05:04:33 PM
:sign0135:

Ah.. Your no fun,
We still need to meet up so I can pick up that grill from you.

SixGun

I'm off Tuesday. I can run it out to Noahs. You off this week?

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on January 03, 2015, 06:23:41 PM
I'm off Tuesday. I can run it out to Noahs. You off this week?

I'm at work and won;t be back in that area for three weeks. Though you know Noah is always around if your in that area.

We should do a BBQ and Wrench day again at the shop if Noah is down for it. We could easy fire up the Dodge Pit for some burgers.

SixGun

Now that sounds like an excellent plan. 

Yolanda and I are taking a vacation to Big Bend National Park at the end of January. Thinking about taking the Ram and do some trails. They are not rock crawling but unimproved dirt roads from horse and wagon days.

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on January 03, 2015, 07:05:32 PM
Now that sounds like an excellent plan. 

Yolanda and I are taking a vacation to Big Bend National Park at the end of January. Thinking about taking the Ram and do some trails. They are not rock crawling but unimproved dirt roads from horse and wagon days.

Please take a lot of pictures! I've been wanting to go there for a very long time and would love to make it a light wheeling camping  trip. Let me know how it goes !

rjtx667

If y'all do a wrenching day let me know. Not planning to haul anything down there again just yet... I have upgrades I want, but trying to just get things settled down.

Still could be a fun trip, and I know Noah would love a few things off my 03 Durango if I drove it down.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Y'all come on down any time....ideally when it is nice out.... not much happens around here when it is cold and nasty  :tongue3:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

ProjectM880

Quote from: ProjectPW on January 05, 2015, 08:18:02 AM
Y'all come on down any time....ideally when it is nice out.... not much happens around here when it is cold and nasty  :tongue3:

Maybe we can fire up the Dodge Pit and grill up some burgers one day while we all hide in your heated shop away from the cold.