News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

New winching event for idiots...

Started by workgoats, September 10, 2013, 11:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

workgoats

So, tonight Ernest a fellow worker and myself set out to set a submersible pump in a pond.  (It was my project.)

The pump weighs 110#, the pallet it was sitting on and all the protection to keep fish and leaves and whatever out weighed at least another 60#.  It has a 4" hose that with fittings and all would weigh another 40# or so.

I set up the Willy Replica on the pond dam, pulled the winch rope all the way out, tied a rope to the back of the pallet and we were ready.  We backed the trailer with the pump on it into the edge of the water and proceeded to pull it into the pond with the winch.  Drew and Ernest were feeding out the discharge hose and the electrical line and the rope to pull it back out if we have to do maintenance.

Only problem was that we pulled it out so fast that the air did not get a chance to exit the protection and the pump and the stupid thing floated.  At least it floated until it turned upside down.  I ended up swimming (wading) in to right the device and we eventually got it hooked up and on the bottom of the pond.

It was about 5 minutes after that when I got the emergency call to go pick up the grand-daughter and take her and the horse to her riding lesson.  I had no dry clothes.  I will not do this again. :lol_hitting:

I won't even mention Ernest getting into the canoe and trying to upright the device.  He drives the canoe a lot like Dave drives the Jeep.  I will shortly send a pic...

workgoats

Here's how the canoe looked

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

workgoats

chau8238

Y'all must be new kind of special.   :13:

taz_man440

2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

workgoats

After it finally started raining, the spot where the Polaris sits in now an electrical panel.  And, it's basically an island.  It may take a scuba team to find our pump again.

80W150

If something happens with the pump, cut your losses. ;)
Chuck