News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Got 331 Hemi?

Started by The War Wagon, October 19, 2013, 11:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The War Wagon

Quote from: MT_84Ram on October 30, 2013, 12:33:53 AM
Anyone?  How about a quick education on 331  - heard of it but that is about all.

Early 50's engine - used mostly in what qualifed as, "mid-size :evil6: ," Chrysler sedans of the day - New Yorker, Imperial, Saratoga.  Good writeup on the technical aspects here.  http://www.classichemi.com/331hemi.shtml

Now that I think of it, I think it MIGHT'VE been the Chrysler Air Raid Siren engine as well!
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

80W150

Chuck

The War Wagon

Yep.  There was one atop the high school - back in the day - about a mile from where I'm sitting.  8)

MT_84Ram

fal308

www.thehemi.com is a good forum with lots of knowledge of the first gen Hemi.
The 331 has an extended bellhousing which makes it difficult to mate with most anything. The extended bh can be cut off and an adapter mated so that it will take a modern transmission. I'm not at home right now but there are several good books on the first gen Hemi. Pick up the book, Tex Smith's The Complete Chrysler Hemi engine Manual. It's a good read and a must own book for the first gen Hemi section.
Hot Heads (www.hothemiheads.com) deals in nothing but Hemi stuff and has it's own small forum. the H.A.M.B. (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/) also has a lot of Hemi knowledge. A guy going by T.R.Waters (on Ebay, theHemi.com and has a website) sells some misc parts) (recently got a plain valley pan from him for a good price).
These engines are really cool and can be built to make a ton of torque.

The War Wagon

Quote from: fal308 on November 01, 2013, 04:54:29 PMThese engines are really cool and can be built to make a ton of torque.

The engine they SHOULDA put in my Jeep Commander, then!   :sunny: