News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Got 331 Hemi?

Started by The War Wagon, October 19, 2013, 11:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The War Wagon

NOT mine, first of all - I was cruising CL ads for cAi's  ;) and came across it.  It's such a rarity, I just wanted to share it!

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/4057362178.html

It would be 31 flavors of AWESOME in an old CJ, or my Commander, or a Gen.1 Dakota or Durango, or most anything you dropped it in!  :headbang:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

SixGun

I love cruising the CL ads just to see the interesting things out there.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

fal308

I've got a 354 Hemi sitting in my basement in pieces. Had it for about twenty five years now. Even have most of the parts to rebuild it!!

80W150

Engine related but kind of off topic, last year I got a call from my mom, she gave me a name and number of a dude that lives next town over from us. So I call said dude. He starts talking about this 68 charger rt he has. Instantly I know what he's talking about.

Back in '89 I had a cordoba that had a 383 in it. This kid in town had a 68 charger rt with a 440. His dad told him either swap out the engine or ditch the car. I was leaving for basic training in a week when my buddy approached me about this swap.(he knew the kid, I didn't) Anyways, while I was at basic my buddy swapped the 440 for the 383. Straight up trade. Said 440 gets put on engine stand. I come back, get married, kids, etc, my 69 satellite never gets off the ground. Engine sets on stand.

Fast forward 23 years, talking to guy on phone. He has the charger the 440 came out of. He works at the shop my mom used to and remembers the swap story and my last name.(not common in this area) He looks in phonebook and finds my parents number, calls, leaves message. Mom relays message.

We talk and I think "well, been 20+ years, I'm not going to do anything with it. Might as well go home where it belongs". He asks if I'd sell it to him, make the car #'s match again. I say no, but I'll trade ya. Case of cold bud light, you come and get it, it's yours. (hey, gotta have something out of the deal. And told him he could help me drink it.) Long pause, and he says "you're kidding right?" to which I reply "Nope. Case of bud light man."

He comes over that weekend, in a big block 77 shortbox, original. Course have to check that out. But, we get the 440 loaded and he produces two cases of cold bud light AND the photo album of the restoration on the 68. Yup, that's the car. Had a 440 in it and switched to auto but he still had original 4 sp for it. Said he was going to change it all back. So we talked for a while, he checked out my 77 RC, few beers and that was that.

Saw the car this past June and sure enough, he had the original engine back in with the 4 sp. I just couldn't see hanging on to that engine when he could use it more than I could. Besides, if I want a 440 I'll peel the one out of my motorhome that doesn't go anywhere anymore.

There's your heartwarming story for the day. Making a classic mopar whole again. ;D
Chuck

The War Wagon

SixGun

What kind of deal can I get for 3 cases of Bud light??   :laughing7:

The War Wagon

Quote from: SixGun on October 24, 2013, 08:33:05 PM
What kind of deal can I get for 3 cases of Bud light??   :laughing7:

Install me some 4.56 Dana 60's front & rear, and I'll buy you FOUR cases of Bud Light!  :toothy9:

80W150

So many willing to wheel and deal and I don't have anything on my end now to trade. :'(
Chuck

SixGun

Quote from: 80W150 on October 26, 2013, 05:34:21 AM
So many willing to wheel and deal and I don't have anything on my end now to trade. :'(

That sure is a nice golf cart ... hint hint.   :laughing7:

80W150

Ohhhhh no, sorry six gun. Just got that critter recently. My wife has wanted one for a couple years now. If I get rid of that I don't think I'll get the nice home cooked meals that I like so much for a while. ;) It's a older Yamaha gasser. Runs great and actually handles pretty good for a lifted cart. New tires to boot. Paint this winter.
Chuck

SixGun

My cousin in California is really into those carts.  He lifted his also.  He has a fabrication shop at an airfield and uses his to ride around from shop to shop.

Billy Ram

Quote from: 80W150 on October 24, 2013, 05:58:38 AM
Engine related but kind of off topic, last year I got a call from my mom, she gave me a name and number of a dude that lives next town over from us. So I call said dude. He starts talking about this 68 charger rt he has. Instantly I know what he's talking about.

Back in '89 I had a cordoba that had a 383 in it. This kid in town had a 68 charger rt with a 440. His dad told him either swap out the engine or ditch the car. I was leaving for basic training in a week when my buddy approached me about this swap.(he knew the kid, I didn't) Anyways, while I was at basic my buddy swapped the 440 for the 383. Straight up trade. Said 440 gets put on engine stand. I come back, get married, kids, etc, my 69 satellite never gets off the ground. Engine sets on stand.

Fast forward 23 years, talking to guy on phone. He has the charger the 440 came out of. He works at the shop my mom used to and remembers the swap story and my last name.(not common in this area) He looks in phonebook and finds my parents number, calls, leaves message. Mom relays message.

We talk and I think "well, been 20+ years, I'm not going to do anything with it. Might as well go home where it belongs". He asks if I'd sell it to him, make the car #'s match again. I say no, but I'll trade ya. Case of cold bud light, you come and get it, it's yours. (hey, gotta have something out of the deal. And told him he could help me drink it.) Long pause, and he says "you're kidding right?" to which I reply "Nope. Case of bud light man."

He comes over that weekend, in a big block 77 shortbox, original. Course have to check that out. But, we get the 440 loaded and he produces two cases of cold bud light AND the photo album of the restoration on the 68. Yup, that's the car. Had a 440 in it and switched to auto but he still had original 4 sp for it. Said he was going to change it all back. So we talked for a while, he checked out my 77 RC, few beers and that was that.

Saw the car this past June and sure enough, he had the original engine back in with the 4 sp. I just couldn't see hanging on to that engine when he could use it more than I could. Besides, if I want a 440 I'll peel the one out of my motorhome that doesn't go anywhere anymore.

There's your heartwarming story for the day. Making a classic mopar whole again. ;D
Great story! He must be stoked having it all numbers matching again! Good on ya!!
1999 Dakota Sport 4X4. 3.9 Magnum, auto, 3:92 gears.

80W150

Quote from: SixGun on October 27, 2013, 09:22:13 PM
My cousin in California is really into those carts.  He lifted his also.  He has a fabrication shop at an airfield and uses his to ride around from shop to shop.

Shoot, I see people using them around town here during the summer. Not sure how legal that is but police don't seem to bother them. They have the orange triangle's hanging off the back of the cart and down the road they go.. Mine isn't slow and has lights, no triangle for this kid. ;) Worst they would probably do is tell me to take it home.

Quote from: Billy Ram on October 29, 2013, 05:18:48 AM
Great story! He must be stoked having it all numbers matching again! Good on ya!!

I know he was pretty shocked I still had it to begin with and then only want to trade for the engine.....
Chuck

MT_84Ram

Quote from: 80W150 on October 29, 2013, 06:21:34 AM
Shoot, I see people using them around town here during the summer. Not sure how legal that is but police don't seem to bother them. They have the orange triangle's hanging off the back of the cart and down the road they go.. Mine isn't slow and has lights, no triangle for this kid. ;) Worst they would probably do is tell me to take it home.

I know he was pretty shocked I still had it to begin with and then only want to trade for the engine.....

Careful - I've heard of DUIs when driving them in public areas.

MT_84Ram

Anyone?  How about a quick education on 331  - heard of it but that is about all.