News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Just registered

Started by MeMopar, March 13, 2014, 05:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeMopar

Quote from: The War Wagon on March 18, 2014, 11:36:59 PM
I'm wishing NOW, that I had all my Four Wheeler mags from the late 80's/early '90's again.  Back then, I had a '79 Bronco, but I recall the occasional article on our (then) "NEW Ramchargers," including people doing crazy things, like, taking them on the Moab, and surprising the hell out of Jeepers THEN!  I KNOW we have better aftermarket gear for 'em NOW - I'd just love to see what they were doing then, to see if there are any OLD ideas we might've forgotten/overlooked.
Exactly! That is what I am looking for: being capable of doing what the most modified rubicon is capable of, and even more, so that I can let them know I can be in the major league as well

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:   That puts you up on me, MOST RC owners, and not a few Jeepers right there!!!
Currently I have D44f/D60r, w/4.56 & 35s, which is pretty common, but I want more... I still feel those 35s look tiny  :laughing7:

A 3" body lift is not unreasonable with 42/44's, but that sounds like a 8" - 9" suspension lift at a minimum, though.  Cam is not a problem, and you know what you want for a front bumper. 
With the body lift I will be near to 10" lift, and I guess that is safe for 42s at least... and yes, I have an idea of what I want for the internals, so I want to beleive I am on the right path.... Bumpers, not so clear though... I have a few ideas and some pics, but I cannot decide yet what to do...

My guy's local, but he's GOOD.  Don't know how much FUTURE RC business it'll drum up for him here in Pittsburgh (I've seen TWO others in my part of town since I began my restoration, and one of them I haven't seen in 4 years now  :( ), but maybe we can come up with a basic design that will work well for all our trucks.   :13:
That'd be great... I will be visiting your thread and checking what this guy of yours did with the sliders... that'll be some interesting fab...

MeMopar

Quote from: SixGun on March 19, 2014, 12:07:07 AM
I wouldn't mind using those body mounts.  Mine are full of cracks.  Why are you having second thoughts?

second thoughts  on the body lift... I mean, if I install the mounts then I know the body lift will be definitely out... and I have doubts about the body lift because of the so many terror stories about them, specially the ones that say your body will literally fall off the chassis because body lift make your truck's body to rust, crack and fall off the frame.... though I do not know if THAT is true, because I have never seen anything bad happening to a truck w/body lift...

The War Wagon

Quote from: MeMopar on March 19, 2014, 09:53:13 AM
second thoughts  on the body lift... I mean, if I install the mounts then I know the body lift will be definitely out... and I have doubts about the body lift because of the so many terror stories about them, specially the ones that say your body will literally fall off the chassis because body lift make your truck's body to rust, crack and fall off the frame.... though I do not know if THAT is true, because I have never seen anything bad happening to a truck w/body lift...

How much SNOW do you get in your part of Mexico?   ;)

THIS is what kills Ramchargers.   :o

ROAD SALT follows snow up here, and that's why you RARELY see an UN-rusty RC north of the capitol (Richmond...)

Mine is STRICTLY a spring/summer/fall toy.  She can go to car washes on SUNNY days in the winter...
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

MeMopar

Snow? Ha! With temperatures as low as 75F and as high as as 103F I really doubt I can see snow on the roads... So, is it ok if I go ahead with the body lift? Am I not going to have any trouble with the body rolling down a hill because it broke off from the chassis?

SixGun

Mine hasn't rolled off....

Yet.  :evil6:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

MeMopar

Quote from: SixGun on March 19, 2014, 05:55:15 PM
Mine hasn't rolled off....

Yet.  :evil6:

How long have you being using yours? I guess I'll go ahead with the body lift then

The War Wagon

Quote from: MeMopar on March 19, 2014, 07:57:26 PM
How long have you being using yours? I guess I'll go ahead with the body lift then

It really WON'T be a problem there, unless you're driving it in ocean surf.  You're too far away from snow & road salt, and your water crossings look like fresh water.  As long as all water can DRAIN, you'll be OK.   :great:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

MeMopar

Quote from: The War Wagon on March 19, 2014, 09:06:48 PM
It really WON'T be a problem there, unless you're driving it in ocean surf.  You're too far away from snow & road salt, and your water crossings look like fresh water.  As long as all water can DRAIN, you'll be OK.   :great:

Great news!!! Thanks a lot for your comments, guys... Ok, then it's a go on tje body lift. Now, considerations:
I have an electric fan around, so no problem in that dept.
Bumpers will be re-done, so no problems with the gaps.
Steering column: what is needed there? Do I need to make it longer? How?
Levers: what can I do with my gear box & Tcase levers? They need to be longer, right?
Fuel tank: is there anything I have to do or consider?
Anything else?

This body lift will be done after I finish my custom gauge cluster.

Again,  thanks for the advise, dudes

SixGun

Going on 2 years now with the body lift.  I really like the clearance on the body of the truck.  Easier to work on and clean IMHO. 

Exposure to the elements should be the same in the rear of the vehicle but without a fabricated splash shield for the motor it will likely see more debris churned up by the front tires. 

I had to extend my shifter linkage for auto trans.  Need to lower the radiator to keep the fan away from the lower radiator hose.  You may need to extend the gas tank filler hose.  On my D150 the metal tube has enough length to do this but I picked a long hose to do my 76 RC and had enough to do both.  Got it special ordered from AC delco store. Mine is on a 2X so transfer considerations would have to come from someone else.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket