News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Welcome back Carter

Started by SixGun, June 06, 2014, 11:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

Quote from: SixGun on September 30, 2014, 01:25:38 PM
I actually have one that I ordered some time back for the 76. Came with no directions.  Looks like a spacer and some real thin shims. Hopefully there's a writeup or good video somewhere. :read2:
Quote from: SixGun on September 30, 2014, 05:26:43 PM
Mat, here's some instructions from Ratech.  Kinda vague.

http://www.ratechmfg.com/chryslerspbs.htm
thanks. ya i have been looking and really not finding a great set of directions to go with it. i really don't like the vague directions. i have an idea how much work it is to install and an idea what you have to do but really don't want to mess up my daily driver. i think i was searching for a good diy or video and was not coming up with much plus i see something like this turning into a couple day job for me.

SixGun

The actual swapping of the rear axle is the easy/ fast part. If you do all the teardown on the axle donor ahead of time it should be quick. You should use new ubolts so the old ones you would just cut off. Its just a couple extra steps from adding a leaf. Bleed brakes, refill diff, adjust parking brake  and change ujoint. Definately want to measure for correct ujoint. May have to order a combo joint. My 9-1/4 axle yoke is 7290 and driveshaft is 7260. Easily a 1-2 day job with some preparation.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

in your case i think it would be easier than mine since i already got a 9 1/4 under my ramcharger from the factory. i would have to take it all apart while under the RC or fight with the Canadian rust to get it out from under my rc. my RC already has an extra leaf and heavier front coils. i think if you were to stick a 3" body lift under it would clear 33's and sit right up there next to your truck height wise. i was actually thinking about trying to find some lightly used 30's as a small lift and to fill the wheel wells a bit better.

SixGun

Quote from: crazzywolfie on September 30, 2014, 11:33:57 PM
i was actually thinking about trying to find some lightly used 30's as a small lift and to fill the wheel wells a bit better.

31's would easily fit and look good too.

crazzywolfie

i had seen a set of 31 up for sale but i think i was looking at 1 website and it said it would throw my speedometer off by a bit more than i would have liked where 30's wouldn't be too bad. plus i don't need too big of a tire. i would just like a little bit more of an aggressive look. my rc still sees lots of highway driving. i put at least 100 mile on the thing in a week

SixGun

Went to pull the carb's air cleaner stud in order to put a taller air cleaner and snap.  Broke that bitch.  Messed with it and drilled it down to run an extractor.  Soaked it heated it but No dice....hmmmm.  So it sat and sat and sat some more.   

Yesterday I'm taking some tools back to my buddy's house and we get to talking about it.  He sends me packing with some super penetrant AeroKroil. Dude tells me don't waste it cuz its expensive. Also gives me some fancy smancy bolt extraction tool.  Also explains that the stud is in the base not the air horn. Remove the air horn and there should be enough meat to turn the stud. Well shit pies and applesauce.

Removed the air horn but the stud was too thin for the extractor.  Tried the infamous pipe wrench but still a no go.  All the time keeping it soaked with AeroKroil. Doused it at least five times.  Last straw was the vise grips and smacks from a hammer.  Fought me tooth and nail but finally........SUCCESS!

rjtx667

good job.... now get down here and extract my broken pins in the tie rod ends
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

looks like that old carby could use some cleansing  :brushteeth:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

SixGun

Yep I cleaned the outside but didn't think it would be that bad inside.
  Surprise surprise.  :icon_scratch:

Its torn apart now and soaking. Need to go get a kit now. Tore a few gaskets.

crazzywolfie

at least Carter should run good when the time comes to fire him up

SixGun

I was so tempted to put the AFB together now that its all nice and clean but priority was the RAM.  She told me that she wants to wear a cap to Hidden Falls. So I got after it today. Cutting it close but it only has to be functional not completely done.  My roof has faded off in just 2 years. Hope to get it at least primed before HF.

rjtx667

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

:brushteeth:

SixGun

Problem for today- throttle was binding. At first, I thought it was the butterflies on the gasket but after further inspection I figured it out.  I had a thick gasket originally like the TBI's and since it it an aluminum intake, I figured I wouldn't need an insulator type gasket.  This caused the fast idle screw to hit the egr. I tried using an adapter I had laying around but it needed longer studs. So back on with the old insulator for now sandwiched between two thin gaskets.

SixGun

Been trying to fire up Carter but I'm having a no fuel issue.  I installed an electric fuel pump that Ryan gave me off his parts truck.  I finally came up with a location tucked in a cubby behind the leaf spring just outside the frame rail.  It is away from moving parts and exhaust. Gonna cover it over with a small shield. Only thing left is to wire it up.

I had to drop the gas tank to access the fuel lines. I put the nuts, socket and flashlight on the bumper of the Ram.  I'll be damned if I didn't forget about it when i went to get fuel line.  I found some replacement nuts and the flashlight was a freebie from Harbor Freight but the deep well socket was an impact socket. It was the deepest socket i had to reach the nuts on the gas tank straps.  That really sucks!  I just hope that was all I left on there.   :disgust: