News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Welcome back Carter

Started by SixGun, June 06, 2014, 11:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Gonna start at the back. Blow out the line and run electric pump up to mechanical pump.  The mechanical pump is new. Gotta find the receipt just in case.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

SixGun

Geez....shoulda read the instructions first. Apparently this electric "Facet" fuel pump needs to be mounted at a 45* angle with outlet above inlet. This is to prevent vapor lock.
Sucks even more because I already built a protective cover out of scrap.  :violent1:

On the good side, I retraced my route to Napa and found the flashligjt and impact socket. It fell off as I turned into the parking lot.  :dance:

rjtx667

small progress... but progress is good.

I don't think that pump was mounted that way in the 85?

but then again we don't know if it worked in the 85 either!  :violent1:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I do remember it being at an angle. I thought it was odd at the time when I removed it.  However it should be 12" from fuel tank below the tank level ideally.  It was in the engine bay above the charcoal canister.  :017:

rjtx667

your questioning the install of something on a truck that was full of WTF?  :violent1:

lol who knows if it ever worked correctly on it, with their home made tow bar I question many things about that truck.

Don't forget the chain steps too  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I posed a question at the masses of RCC.  What to wire the electric fuel pump to?  Crickets for a couple of days and then DodgeBoys to the rescue with a wiring diagram.  I still dont understand the 3 pole oil pressure switch. Heres a link to my thread. Help if you can.

http://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle-help/electric-fuel-pump-wiring/

crazzywolfie

is Carter using the stock style electric choke? i think that is the switch Dodgeboy is point towards you using to run the fuel pump. that is pretty much how they do it. you use the oil pressure switch to control the fuel pump relay. this might help you understand it better
http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/electric-fuel-pump.html

SixGun

Awesome link Mat! :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy :icon_salut:

SixGun

Btw, it has an electric choke attached to that 3 blade switch.

A picture is worth a 1,000 words. I was having an information overload.   :tard:

crazzywolfie

your welcome. i remember seeing that posted on dodge forum back when i use to hang out there and thought it seemed pretty simple. i know all it takes sometimes is the right picture and everything just clicks. the only thing i think you might have an issue with is you will need to get another T or splitter to install another sensor since i think the stock block only has 2 ports which are already in use. SuperBurban looks like he has a pretty good solution
http://ramchargercentral.com/open-discussions/what-did-you-do-to-your-rc-today/5700/

SixGun

I went ahead and ordered the oil pressure switch they recommended. Summit carries them and picked up a couple of items to take advantage if the free shipping.  Its like I got the switch for free.

I have a couple of extra relays laying around all ready. Just need to pick up some 16 & 10 gauge wire and connectors. I've made tee connections before to set up gauges on 91 Ram. I may still have some parts laying around I can pilfer from. 

ProjectPW

I like living dangerously I guess. No oil pressure switches needed....just a toggle switch to shut down the pump relay if i need to have the key on without the engine running (makes a great anti-theft device also ). Keep in mind that the fuel pump will not run until oil pressure is seen on that switch. I like having my electric pump prime the carb before cranking, as it it makes for much quicker starts.
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

crazzywolfie

if things are working properly then there should be more than enough fuel in the carb to get the engine running and oil pressure up. i know i use to disconnect my fuel line at the carb and run it into a bottle and fire my truck up to get lawn mower gas for a lazy friend of mine. could usually fill a 500ml bottle and still have enough gas in the carb to start after.

SixGun

Quote from: ProjectPW on November 25, 2014, 07:24:58 AM
Keep in mind that the fuel pump will not run until oil pressure is seen on that switch. I like having my electric pump prime the carb before cranking, as it it makes for much quicker starts.

Here is a quote from CW's HotRod link. "One wire goes to the pump, one to the start circuit, and the other to the ignition circuit. So, when there is no oil pressure, the switch connects START to PUMP, and as soon as you start cranking it runs the pump. When the oil pressure comes up, the switch connects IGN to PUMP, for normal running. When oil pressure goes away (because you just hit that rock and tore the pan off the engine, for example) it again connects START to PUMP, and disconnects IGN from PUMP, so the pump shuts off."

Sounds good in theory. :dontknow: