News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Welcome back Carter

Started by SixGun, June 06, 2014, 11:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

any progress is good progress  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Yeah, I need to get this done so I can move on to other things.   :BangHead:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

should have just stuck with the mechanical pump. could have had it running by now.

SixGun

Well, theres gas in the carb. I can see it and smell it. Still no fire. Just cranks and cranks. Once it went poof but that was it. I need to find a no fire checklist and start running them down one by one. First thing that comes to mind is the coil. Starter relay plug is very loose too.

:017:

rjtx667

you check for spark at the plug yet?

another option is timing is off or th spark plug wires are in the wrong order?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I double checked the timing the first time it no fired. I will check again to be sure.   :read2:

It always ends up being something simple.  Speak to me Carter.   :ecomcity:

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on February 25, 2015, 05:59:20 PM
I double checked the timing the first time it no fired. I will check again to be sure.   :read2:

It always ends up being something simple.  Speak to me Carter.   :ecomcity:

You have to speak softly... and occasionally yell and throw things... it works every time. DODGE WHISPERING 101
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

crazzywolfie

as long as the starter relay is making the engine turn don't worry about the connector being loose. should not stop it from running.

SixGun

So I disconnected a spark plug wire and put a spark plug tester.  There is spark so can I assume the coil is good?  Gonna swap ballast resistor next.  Got real windy as the cold front was blowing in so I beat feet inside. Brrrrr.... :confused2:

SixGun

While trying to start Carter, I would turn the key sometimes and get nothing and other times it would crank.  Reading a lot of threads for no starts and some were ignition switch was bad. Could 2+2 equal 4?  Just $25. Hope its not too much of a pita.

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on February 26, 2015, 06:45:39 PM
So I disconnected a spark plug wire and put a spark plug tester.  There is spark so can I assume the coil is good?  Gonna swap ballast resistor next.  Got real windy as the cold front was blowing in so I beat feet inside. Brrrrr.... :confused2:

This would indicate you have a fuel or timing issue maybe...have you checked compression?

Have you tried squirting some carb cleaner in the carb to see if it will at least do something ...pop sputter bang(watch your eyebrows) etc ...

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on February 26, 2015, 07:30:09 PM
While trying to start Carter, I would turn the key sometimes and get nothing and other times it would crank.  Reading a lot of threads for no starts and some were ignition switch was bad. Could 2+2 equal 4?  Just $25. Hope its not too much of a pita.

could be the switch ....could be the relay ... my first suspect is usually the starter relay on the fenderwell

SixGun

Quote from: ProjectPW on February 26, 2015, 07:46:30 PM
This would indicate you have a fuel or timing issue maybe...have you checked compression?

Have you tried squirting some carb cleaner in the carb to see if it will at least do something ...pop sputter bang(watch your eyebrows) etc ...

I tried starting fluid and it was a no go.

SixGun

Quote from: ProjectPW on February 26, 2015, 07:56:09 PM
could be the switch ....could be the relay ... my first suspect is usually the starter relay on the fenderwell

The relay harness connector is loose.  I might using a pick to tighten up the little push  clips inside the plug.  If the switch doesn't do the trick, I'll head in that direction. I may have spare laying around but that push plug style I dunno.