News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Welcome back Carter

Started by SixGun, June 06, 2014, 11:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

well finding TDC is great, but you have to make sure its before compression not exhaust stroke... otherwise your still 180* out.

Like Noah said, remove the plug and find out when you get close to TDC then feel with your finger if its pushing air out.

Thats the only sure fire way to know you have it right.

Like I said, I had that issue on my 408 when I first put it into the truck. took me a bit but I got it fixed. Those dizzy's on the magnum's are a PITA to deal with way back there.

If you have fuel and spark and no bang, good chance you have the dizzy 180* out.

I am not sure anyone has asked this yet... have you pulled the dizzy and rotated it 180* yet? just to try?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on March 03, 2015, 09:17:29 PM
I was thinking of picking up another stock ecu just to be sure. I took mine off and added a ground wire to it. Did notice that the black wire on the harness plug is stretched tight and may be an issue.

I've got a piston stop I can use for finding tdc. Hopefully soon if the weather will hold out.

no piston stop necessary.. pull the plug and stick your finger over the hole.. as sson as you feel pressure stop and use a socket to rotate the crankshaft to tdc on the harmonic balancer... remove distributor cap and check for correct alignment of the rotor with #1 cylinder plug/wire
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on March 03, 2015, 09:20:13 PM
Stock=$20
Mopar orange=$43
MSD=$400

I run a Mopar orange box on everything with good success ... good ground is the key to a good ignition system (ancient mopar secret)  :thumbsup:

rjtx667

Quote from: ProjectPW on March 03, 2015, 09:22:58 PM
no piston stop necessary.. pull the plug and stick your finger over the hole.. as sson as you feel pressure stop and use a socket to rotate the crankshaft to tdc on the harmonic balancer... remove distributor cap and check for correct alignment of the rotor with #1 cylinder plug/wire

Noah I think he is gonna make one of us go down there and help get this thing alive again.... While I am sure i could manage a spring break trip down there, I am not sure my boys and parents would be as excited as we are  :laughing7:

Plus after looking a bit for sea world etc, there are not many hotel rooms left.

If i thought I could manage any work on trucks this spring break, I would be all over it.

But worst case maybe have to do a quick trip the 21st if he has not got it figured out by then. Always good to sneak out of town for a bit.  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 03, 2015, 09:27:26 PM
Noah I think he is gonna make one of us go down there and help get this thing alive again.... While I am sure i could manage a spring break trip down there, I am not sure my boys and parents would be as excited as we are  :laughing7:

Plus after looking a bit for sea world etc, there are not many hotel rooms left.

If i thought I could manage any work on trucks this spring break, I would be all over it.

But worst case maybe have to do a quick trip the 21st if he has not got it figured out by then. Always good to sneak out of town for a bit.  :13:

ahhhh... BBq at Richard's house....  :dance:

ProjectPW

maybe we can even see the mysterious 76 RC trail rig.......

crazzywolfie

Quote from: SixGun on March 03, 2015, 09:20:13 PM
Stock=$20
Mopar orange=$43
MSD=$400
i guess that is if you get the full kit but might be cheaper than throwing a lot of money at modules, ballast resisters, coils and old wiring. could try testing all the old stuff first but it just seems like you are throwing money at it with not much result. i do agree with the others tho that it does seem like it is probably a timing issue of some sort

SixGun

Quote from: ProjectPW on March 03, 2015, 09:30:48 PM

ahhhh... BBq at Richard's house....  :dance:

Should have been here yesterday. Yolanda made fajitas.  :headbang:

rjtx667

Quote from: SixGun on March 03, 2015, 10:17:03 PM
Should have been here yesterday. Yolanda made fajitas.  :headbang:

now you tell us!!! :angry4:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Like Noah says, always an open Invitation.  :hello:

SixGun

Quote from: crazzywolfie on March 03, 2015, 09:50:20 PM
i guess that is if you get the full kit but might be cheaper than throwing a lot of money at modules, ballast resisters, coils and old wiring. could try testing all the old stuff first but it just seems like you are throwing money at it with not much result. i do agree with the others tho that it does seem like it is probably a timing issue of some sort

The ignition switch did fix an issue. Most guys mention keeping a spare ecu anyways in the tool box. Spare starter relay and ballast resistor the same.  I had an extra coil and resistor already to test with but the relay was something I've never seen before with 7 blades. For $10 I got a spare.

crazzywolfie

who needs a spare starter relay when you got a screw driver or wench? could also use a piece of wire. i could understand keeping the others as a spare if think one might go bad. at least your not installing gm ignition parts on it. i just like testing testing stuff before spending a lot of money trying to fix an issue that may not even exist.

SixGun

If the rain stays away, I'll hopefully get to the distributor today after work and hopefully I'm wrong. I just want to get this bad boy going and move on to other issues and other truck.  My concern with the ecu is whether or not it there is enough spark. 

crazzywolfie

if there is not enough spark tho that could be a miss adjusted air gap between the pickup sensor and reluctor in the distributor.