News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Welcome back Carter

Started by SixGun, June 06, 2014, 11:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taz_man440

That's one reason I love the MSD on my ramcharger... Hot, ground, & ignition wires.. Good to go
2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

SixGun

Brrrrr...that cold front is blowing in. Supposed to be 28* by morning.  If this wind keeps up the wind chill will be a killer like last week.

Good news is that the distributor was 180* off. 

Ummm...bad news is that it is still a no start. Same thing....cranks with no attempt to turn over or any backfiring.

Since I kinda rushed at the end and it was getting dark, I will double check my work when its warmer and calm outside.  Thinking of using my Blaster coil from the Ram and see what happens. Also gonna change the fuel filter and see what that does.  Maybe junk in the lines got jammed in it.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on March 04, 2015, 06:44:59 PM
Brrrrr...that cold front is blowing in. Supposed to be 28* by morning.  If this wind keeps up the wind chill will be a killer like last week.

Ummm...bad news is that it is still a no start. Same thing....cranks with no attempt to turn over or any backfiring.

Since I kinda rushed at the end and it was getting dark, I will double check my work when its warmer and calm outside.  Thinking of using my Blaster coil from the Ram and see what happens. Also gonna change the fuel filter and see what that does.  Maybe junk in the lines got jammed in it.

did you try a bit of carb clean or starting fluid? much easier.... :great:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

SixGun

When I first tried to fire it up way back when I thought i had a fuel problem.  I wonder if crud jammed up my filter. Maybe its not getting enough fuel.  Im just surprised that it hadn't flooded out with all the pumping and cranking. I keep thinking about Will's truck when he tried to fire it up. U have another filter so it should be an easy task.

BTW, what's up with all this cold weather. Is Santa Claus coming to town?

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on March 05, 2015, 10:27:52 AM
When I first tried to fire it up way back when I thought i had a fuel problem.  I wonder if crud jammed up my filter. Maybe its not getting enough fuel.  Im just surprised that it hadn't flooded out with all the pumping and cranking. I keep thinking about Will's truck when he tried to fire it up. U have another filter so it should be an easy task.

BTW, what's up with all this cold weather. Is Santa Claus coming to town?

your question will be answered by spraying something in the carb and then trying to start it again. Also you can look down the throat of the carb and see the accelerator pump squirters shoot when applying throttle.... no squirty = no fuely  :thumbsup:

If it has got fuel in the carb you have likely flooded the engine... remove spark plugs and allow to dry overnight.... a couple of drops of atf in the cylinders will help bring up compression when going back together... that is also a good time for a compression test
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

rjtx667

Quote from: SixGun on March 04, 2015, 06:44:59 PM

Glad to hear you made some progress. Its like 31 and snow on the ground here right now... and its spring break next week... what gives?

This weekend is suppose to warm up some, I am hoping to get to do some wrenching myself.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

taz_man440

My truck from best I can figure was a dirt dobber got in the fule line & it blowed the filter apart & pushed the dirt into the inlet filter of the quadrajunk. What carb are you running? Have you pulled the fuel line off & run it into a bottle to make sure your pumping fuel to the carb?
2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

SixGun

Quote from: taz_man440 on March 05, 2015, 02:30:54 PM
My truck from best I can figure was a dirt dobber got in the fule line & it blowed the filter apart & pushed the dirt into the inlet filter of the quadrajunk. What carb are you running? Have you pulled the fuel line off & run it into a bottle to make sure your pumping fuel to the carb?

I pulled the line where it attaches before the filter a while back and fuel came out.  When i pulled the line at the back to put in electric pump, the same happened. Right now i can touch fuel in the carb and see wetness. When I touch it, I can smell gas.  Tried looking in carb for squirting but couldn't see that happening.

I am running the later model Competition AFB.  I rebuilt it and remember a screen in the inlet.  I'll need to check that too.

rjtx667

Quote from: SixGun on March 05, 2015, 03:02:44 PM
I rebuilt it and remember a screen in the inlet.

If your anything like me with rebuilding carbs... that could be your whole problem right there  :laughing7:  :violent1:  :tard:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 05, 2015, 03:26:03 PM
If your anything like me with rebuilding carbs... that could be your whole problem right there  :laughing7:  :violent1:  :tard:

Lol anything is possible.

Changed fuel filter but nothing stands out. It blew out clear no problem. Checked for screen in carb inlet and there's not one. Cranked with hose at carb disconnected and its pumping gas. Tried starting it on its own and not happening.  Sprayed starting fluid and it tries to turn over. Gonna put blaster coil on and see if that makes a difference. 

Getting close but no cigar.

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on March 05, 2015, 05:18:57 PM
Lol anything is possible.

Changed fuel filter but nothing stands out. It blew out clear no problem. Checked for screen in carb inlet and there's not one. Cranked with hose at carb disconnected and its pumping gas. Tried starting it on its own and not happening.  Sprayed starting fluid and it tries to turn over. Gonna put blaster coil on and see if that makes a difference. 

Getting close but no cigar.

Did you try talking real nice to Carter? Dodges don't do well with hostility .... :ecomcity:

SixGun

Hell I'd give Carter a BJ right now if I thought it would help.  :laughing7:

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on March 05, 2015, 05:33:17 PM
Hell I'd give Carter a BJ right now if I thought it would help.  :laughing7:

:sign0137:  :puke:

SixGun

Ben & Jerry ice cream, sheesh what were you thinking about.   :040:

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on March 05, 2015, 05:47:30 PM