News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Welcome back Carter

Started by SixGun, June 06, 2014, 11:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectM880

crazzywolfie

Quote from: SixGun on March 06, 2015, 03:55:22 PM
Well, buy another truck of course.   :tongue3:

Seriously, swap out mufflers since these tractor mufflers are kinda getting soft, an alignment, swap rear axle for 9-1/4 with LS and 3.55 gear, and get state inspection.

Then move on to the 76 RC.
lol. sweet. should be fairly smooth sailing from here tho since you should be fairly familiar with all the other work.

SixGun

Setting the timing is tough. Its a new cam and I tried to set it at 12* btdc like the sticker but it backfired.  Runs nice right now but I can't even see the timing mark.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on March 06, 2015, 04:32:22 PM
Setting the timing is tough. Its a new cam and I tried to set it at 12* btdc like the sticker but it backfired.  Runs nice right now but I can't even see the timing mark.

If you can get it on the road, take it to the Dodge Whisper Aka Noah. he can get it dialed in real quick. No Ice Cream Required

SixGun

He was right. Advance the timing did the trick.  :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone :hello:

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on March 06, 2015, 05:10:43 PM
He was right. Advance the timing did the trick.  :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone :hello:

So when do we get to see you doing burn outs?

SixGun

Just talked Ernest. He said, "Good job, but how much did you pay a mechanic to do it for you?"

I told him all it cost was ice cream. Lol

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on March 06, 2015, 06:08:30 PM
Just talked Ernest. He said, "Good job, but how much did you pay a mechanic to do it for you?"

I told him all it cost was ice cream. Lol

Sounds great... I will have your bill ready  :tongue3: .... that will be an awesome machine soon  :great:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

ProjectM880

I'm still waiting on burn out pictures  :steeringwheel:

SixGun

Ha ha...video evidence is to avoided.  Shhhh....he's a sleeper.

Still some work to be done to be roadworthy. Ignition goodies are on the FedEx welcome wagon as we speak.  Gotta put the radio, fuse block and tuck the wires back where they belong too. Alignment and inspection too.

I don't for see any burnouts with these tall highway gears.  Still need to get the 9-1/4 under it after an overhaul and crush sleeve eliminator.  Noah are you ready for a little axle work?

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on March 10, 2015, 08:31:00 AM
Ha ha...video evidence is to avoided.  Shhhh....he's a sleeper.

Still some work to be done to be roadworthy. Ignition goodies are on the FedEx welcome wagon as we speak.  Gotta put the radio, fuse block and tuck the wires back where they belong too. Alignment and inspection too.

I don't for see any burnouts with these tall highway gears.  Still need to get the 9-1/4 under it after an overhaul and crush sleeve eliminator.  Noah are you ready for a little axle work?

Bring it... you have bearings and seals to go with the crush sleeve eliminator?

SixGun

Seals yes, bearings no. Started collecting parts for rear 9-1/4 for 76 RC.  The one for Carter is a 93 axle and 76 RC is using a 91 axle. I figure seals should be the same.  Also, I believe they both are limited slip.  That's rebuildable also if I'm not mistaken.

I'll get my shopping list in order. 

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on March 10, 2015, 09:16:19 AM
Seals yes, bearings no. Started collecting parts for rear 9-1/4 for 76 RC.  The one for Carter is a 93 axle and 76 RC is using a 91 axle. I figure seals should be the same.  Also, I believe they both are limited slip.  That's rebuildable also if I'm not mistaken.

I'll get my shopping list in order.

bearings are certainly recommended if we are going in  (but not necessarily required).... if the axle is tight you probly should leave it alone lol.... if it has some slop in it, the pinion and carrier bearings are a must.

the limited slip is probably buildable but you need to know what kind it is, and it may not really be that necessary....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/spz-58026/overview/ .... just plan on one of those.... and you should pull the axles to inspect them for wear on the wheel bearings/shafts before you bring it....

SixGun

I was just looking at that exact same kit on Randys R&P.  Summit is cheaper by $50- wow.

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on March 10, 2015, 09:51:57 AM
I was just looking at that exact same kit on Randys R&P.  Summit is cheaper by $50- wow.

yep Randy's is high unless you are buying from a shop...then they are still probably higher lol