News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Welcome back Carter

Started by SixGun, June 06, 2014, 11:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

you should have something come out. have you tried starting fluid? would probably be a lot easier to tell if something is clogged or not working right once you got the engine running. also isn't there a fuel filter on the carbs fuel inlet?

SixGun

You talking about that screen. Good point, I'll have to check that. I ran out of starting fluid as luck would have it. That's how much I've used it.

Them nickels and dimes are starting to add up. :BangHead:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

hopefully it is something simple like that. i think the screen should be fine enough to catch any Teflon tape that might have got in.

SixGun

That's if its in there. I can't remember. :icon_scratch:

SixGun

Picked up some starting fluid. It starts nearly every time.  So I start playing with the timing.  Counter clockwise it can almost start on its own but stalls out in gear when I try to give it gas. Clockwise sounds a lot stronger but will not start on its own.  Played with it so much that I can't find my baseline. Chalk up another depressing day.

crazzywolfie

are you sure you are getting a good spark? did you ever check the gap between the reluctor and pickup sensor in the distributor when you had the engine apart? i am just wondering since with all the testing you probably should have had your engine running long enough that the carb should have been primed and warm enough that it shouldn't have had any issue restarting on the idle circuit or with the fumes. would definitely suck if you had to take apart the carb again to clean it out.

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on September 16, 2015, 07:41:25 PM
Picked up some starting fluid. It starts nearly every time.  So I start playing with the timing.  Counter clockwise it can almost start on its own but stalls out in gear when I try to give it gas. Clockwise sounds a lot stronger but will not start on its own.  Played with it so much that I can't find my baseline. Chalk up another depressing day.

unless you are using a timing light you are shooting in the dark sir  :017:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

ProjectPW

you need to pull the top off the carb after you know the float bowls should be full and check to see that the bowls are full.... if the fuel level in the carb is too low it will cause your problem.... maybe sticking float valves ... maybe float level needs adjusting.... you can easily pull the top off the carb with it still on the motor.. just dont lose the tiny clips   :tongue3:

sometimes old carbs are just not worth the trouble if all of the above checks out. I have fought many battles with shitty edelbrock/carter weber style 4 barrels... some of those battles were victorious, others were more an exercise in wasting a lot of time and money.

1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

SixGun

Well Ryan stopped by and picked up Carter for his Dr.'s appointment.
Off to see the Dodge Whisperer.

With a little tweaking, Carter even loaded up under his own power.

I left a magazine on the passenger seat for you guys at the shop. Make sure Larry gets a look see also.

Thanks Guys!!

SixGun

The master at work  :You_Rock_Emoticon:

crazzywolfie

so does that mean it should be ready to drive soon?

rjtx667

it can drive now, but it needs some more tlc... Noah is not done yet and then once he is the brakes and alignment need looking into.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

well it is a lot easier to get to an alignment shop if the thing is at least moving under its own power. brakes are usually not too bad to check/repair on the 2wd's.

SixGun

Less than 24 hours. That's just some kinda amazing. :great:

bullboy0852

So what was the issue?

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk