News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

93 RC Trail Rig

Started by rjtx667, October 20, 2012, 02:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

Well got some butane for the little butane torch I got at Harbor Freight... that thing is sweet  :13:

Got my ends soldered onto the wire for the winch, which let me get my winch assembled finally.

Tonight or tomorrow I will try to run the wire and secure it to the frame for the back mount, then depending on how much wire is left I will make the connectors for the front.

I cleaned up the bumper a bit more, then found out I was out of gas for the mig  :angry5:  I did get a little done but its not great without gas. I am going to try and pick up some gas tonight and maybe make an extension cord for it as it is a very short reach right now.

I started drilling the bolt holes, but man that was slow going.... going to need to try and get a new drill bit to do that or something  :dontknow:

At this point the things I still need to do, which I am sure they won't all get done:

Install rear winch wire
Install front winch wire
Secure rear bumper - weld and bolt
fabricate front mount for hitch
Install camera's and display

Man I need like the rest of the week off, and even with that I don't think I would be ready  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

Well I did not get hardly anything done.

I figured out how to mount the front hitch for the winch/ recovery d ring... I removed the front bumper and it sits on the frame nicely. When you put the bumper back on it you can't see the hitch.

I have not run the wire for the winch yet, maybe someday.

I did spend $10 at the car wash getting dirt off it  :confused2:  I am sure there is still some somewhere

I get to drive it as a daily driver for a few days now while the 2000 is in surgery.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

It was pouring rain the night I drove back into town so it did most of the dirty work on the outside.   The rest got a high pressure bath in the driveway.  What a muddy mess.  Yolanda told me I should have put it in the yard first.  Duh.... maybe next time.   :brushteeth:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

seems my gas gauge is bad or way off... filled up after driving to work last week... 12 gallons while the gauge showed almost empty  :evil6:

well rather that than the fact that I used 30 gallons of fun in less than 100 miles of tooling around  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

today just suxs. Been driving this as the dd since the 2000 is still getting tweaked and adjusted.

well the fuel pump decided to start going bad and leave me at home today.

I am glad I have a spare pump but suxs I have to install it today
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Dropping the tank always bites.  Too bad it's not a pickup and just slide the bed over.  Hope all goes well.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

at least it didn't leave you stranded on the side of the road. plus this also gives you a chance to check the sending unit and possibly see what is up with the gas gauge.

rjtx667

oh I will replace the whole setup... maybe tonight not sure, I went for the easier fix of the 2 and put exhaust manifolds on the 2000 while I wait for new headers
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

dropped the tank and replaced the pump in apx 3 hrs. skid plate is not back on yet, neither rear bumper. I will keep them off till I get the axle swap done.

on a side note, the gas skid plate had what appears to be new bumps in it  :icon_scratch:  :evil6:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

so did you get to test the gas gauge/sending unit when you had the tank down?

rjtx667

replaced the whole sending unit.... turned key on and it went from empty to 1/2 a tank. and I can say it was a heavy sob to deal with lol
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

:13: sounds like fun. i am going to have to drop mine soon and am not looking forward to it. i almost want to install a skid plate just so i don't have to replace the straps.

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on June 10, 2013, 05:37:44 PM
so did you get to test the gas gauge/sending unit when you had the tank down?

Is this an "Advance Auto" sort of available item?  Because I'm pretty sure the float is stuck in MY tank.  Dropped it, replaced the fuel pump, and ALL the fuel line (went with stainless from Inline in MI), but my needle stuck just UNDER a half a tank, even after I'd filled it up completely.

We're not dropping the tank again until it's MUCH closer to empty, but it's something we're gonna HAFTA do for the long run.  :confused2:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

rjtx667

yeah you can buy the complete sending unit rock auto or what not... but I cheated since I scrapped the 92 I had, I put the 92's sending unit (that had been replaced) into the 91 when I dropped its tank to fix it. So then I also noticed that the 91 sending unit had also been replaced, but longer ago than the 92, so I kept the 91 sending it.. which I used to replace the 93 which had never been replaced.

So all I was out was 3 hours of labor and some spilled gas. I did not replace the lines as they still look decent, Texas heat is not as bad as northern salt.  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

CARTER Part # P74655M   $139.79

BOSCH Part # 67612   $252.79

I have the carter in both of mine
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins