News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

93 RC Trail Rig

Started by rjtx667, October 20, 2012, 02:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

funny enough last sunday one of the drivers where i work locked his keys in his car with the car running. the guy in the office asked me if i had a slim jim. like i am going to carry one of those. i told them they could probably use a coat hanger since we had lots of those at work but they decided to call a tow truck instead.

rjtx667

I don't even have locks installed on the 93, I just leave it unlocked  :laughing7:

I need to find me a new driver door, then I can worry about locking it.

The one thing I want to do next, and maybe soon... Re-key EVERYTHING.

I want the 91, 93, and 2000 to all share the same key so I don't have 500 keys floating around lol.

Of course I have it better than most RC guys since the 91-93 had the same key for door/ ignition/ and hatch.

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

can you actually get something like that done? get 3 sets of locks that work with 1 key. that would be so cool. i know i almost need to do something like that for my vehicles. both my 81 and 93 require 2 keys each. my 91 was the only truck i had the required 1 key.

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on February 03, 2014, 05:05:00 PM
can you actually get something like that done? get 3 sets of locks that work with 1 key. that would be so cool. i know i almost need to do something like that for my vehicles. both my 81 and 93 require 2 keys each. my 91 was the only truck i had the required 1 key.

I'd never thought about it, but my '92 RC is a one-key truck, too!  And so is my '07 Commander & '08 Caravan!  :o
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

rjtx667

why not get it done? they can re-key locks... just take them out and have them re-key'ed all the same.

Talked to a good locksmith around here who said they could do it no issue.

They have even re-key'd the rear hatch lock for me once... I had been told that was impossible to do but they did.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

workgoats

The locks on the two sided keys only use one side.  In a lot of the Mopar keys you can key one side to one vehicle and the other side to another.  You cam notch one side of the back of the key so you can identify which way to use it in each car.  Only works on a few years but should work on the 91 and 93. 

taz_man440

I once took the door lock cylinders out of my 82 ramcharger I had.. Took the cover off the cylinder, dumped out all the lil pins & springs, put it back together then ANY key worked...LOL  how many people try their car key in somebody else's door....   
2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

SixGun

Quote from: taz_man440 on February 12, 2014, 09:38:59 PM
I once took the door lock cylinders out of my 82 ramcharger I had.. Took the cover off the cylinder, dumped out all the lil pins & springs, put it back together then ANY key worked...LOL  how many people try their car key in somebody else's door....   

I do every time I feel like getting arrested. :breakcomp: :sign0135:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

i had considered modifying the pins in my 81's door lock cylinder to match the ignition key. would be so easy. haven't looked at the door lock cylinders on the newer trucks to see if they can be modified.

rjtx667

I am updating the Hidden Falls Spring 14 trip with the details, but to say the least... its messed up.

Broken rear driveshaft front u joint.
Broken outer driver axle shaft
broken driver cad axle stub shaft
broken driver axle u joint.

The good news... the springs held.

I think I have a few new dents in the body as well.

I got the broken bolt out of the u joint mount, I just need to get a replacement u joint and I will be back to 2wd mode.

I now have to figure out if I want to fix what I have or try to upgrade to 1 ton axles.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Holy crap Ryan!  What happened? ???
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

http://ramcharger.net/index.php/topic,340.30.html

basically I think you could sum it up by saying "taking a 31" tire truck where no 31" tire truck should try to go"

:laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

forgot to mention that Noah was right... I was able to unscrew the broken bolt in the transfer case with the help if a little screw driver.

Now I just need to replace that u joint and it will be moving under its own power again.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

Quote from: rjtx667 on April 20, 2014, 08:51:31 PM
forgot to mention that Noah was right... I was able to unscrew the broken bolt in the transfer case with the help if a little screw driver.

Now I just need to replace that u joint and it will be moving under its own power again.

Be sure to buy new bolts and straps for the U-jionts. Its cheap security .

rjtx667

I don't have much of a choice this go round since I am missing bolts, but I plan to.

I will also have spare straps, bolts, and u joints for it.

The mexico ram charger has 2 spares in its glovebox at all times now.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins