News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

93 RC Trail Rig

Started by rjtx667, October 20, 2012, 02:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The War Wagon

Hang tight - I'll be ready to sell YOU a completely refurbished driveshaft, by late next week!  ;D
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

crazzywolfie

i can't believe you broke so much in one go. didn't you pretty much rebuild the front axle not that long ago?

SixGun

Ryan is working on so many vehicles at once, I can't keep track myself. :icon_scratch:

But I think that was the other truck - 91 RC.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

no it was this one, replaced all axle seals and both u joints in the axle. but you notice the axles broke not the u joints  :violent1:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

i just figured if something was going to fail you should have seen something when you had it all apart.

SixGun

So I've been thinking about your damage to the axle.  Do you think you smacked a rock at speed causing the break.  You mentioned bigger tires could have prevented this.   Do you think the axle was hit or the strike to the tire. Clearance issues being the main problem or cushioning the blow to the tire?   I wonder if the broken axle preceded the driveshaft break. Unable to roll forward under pressure, the driveshaft snaps the joint.

I just think you were going full throttle into a rock there Reckless Ryan in true Dukes of Hazard fashion.  Yeeeehaaaaw!

rjtx667

I am not real sure, but I do know that lockers and 37's made it easy (er) for Eric than for me. That was all weekend long.

The tire height is going to make it easier to climb taller steps.

I don't think the rear u joint had anything to do it with, because it was able to be pulled by rope and winch before we thought enough to unlock the front hubs and be able to pull it up easily.

The axle shafts were both in good looking shape when I worked on the axle, but I am sure the force of spinning at some unknown speed then slamming into rock stopping the movement along with the added weight was not good.

It could be a simple fact that since I did that last go round in Sept, and did it all this go round it was a stress over time break that just got me at that moment in time.

Apparently, from what Eric says, I tend to come up the hills full speed ahead and he is always careful to get out of the way quick enough. There were a few times he tried to grab the go pro to film me and he was not fast enough.

I do have the rear u joint fixed, I am going to grab another as a spare along with spare straps. I should prob get a new lower u joint but after Noah and Eric talking, I think that is going to be a custom jobber there.

I also think that since they mentioned the driveshaft has been re-worked that could explain why I had no issues with the lift I put on it?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I've been holding off on getting driveshaft ujoints.  Been looking at the combination joints.  I'm just wondering the benefit of that.  1350's are the rave but is it because they are stronger or able to get more angle?

The War Wagon

Quote from: SixGun on April 22, 2014, 09:01:17 PM
I've been holding off on getting driveshaft ujoints.  Been looking at the combination joints.  I'm just wondering the benefit of that.  1350's are the rave but is it because they are stronger or able to get more angle?

YES.  Double cardon gets the angle and 1350 gets the strength!

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on April 22, 2014, 09:01:17 PM

I went with the Tom Woods BAMF Front Drive Shaft and 1410 Rear :)

Ryan If you would give me 1 minute to get out of my truck I could have filmed all your adventures!!! HAHA

The War Wagon

Quote from: ProjectM880 on April 23, 2014, 07:39:15 AM
I went with the Tom Woods BAMF Front Drive Shaft and 1410 Rear :)

I JUST learned of the existence of such a thing yesterday.  Pictures and an explanation of YOURS would be awesome!

ProjectM880

Quote from: The War Wagon on April 23, 2014, 09:42:09 AM

I JUST learned of the existence of such a thing yesterday.  Pictures and an explanation of YOURS would be awesome!

Not trying to Highjack your thread Ryan, But here are my driveshafts compared to stock.

rjtx667

no worries... some beefy stuff there.

I would have never thought a wore out 318 could break the u joint like I did  :icon_scratch:  :dontknow:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

The War Wagon

Quote from: rjtx667 on April 23, 2014, 12:00:01 PMI would have never thought a wore out 318 could break the u joint like I did  :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

If you've revved the engine, with the wheels off the ground, then YES - it WILL snap on impact.  :confused2:

SixGun

Quote from: ProjectM880 on April 23, 2014, 07:39:15 AM

Ryan If you would give me 1 minute to get out of my truck I could have filmed all your adventures!!! HAHA

:laughing4: