News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1976 Big Block RC build

Started by SixGun, July 27, 2012, 10:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

I'm not keen on letting loose of a Benjamin either.  I was looking on Amazon and saw quite a few with good reviews for half that.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectPW

keep in mind a ball joint press also makes an excellent ujoint installation tool also  :great: I recommend OTC for something you can count on working  :thumbsup:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

SixGun

Yeah, I've been watching and paying attention.  Seen a lot of busted joints at Hidden Falls.  I've heard good things about OTC. Thanks Noah.

ProjectPW

as a side note regarding ball joint presses- Make sure you have proper adapter cups to do dana 44 axles. Sometimes these will make your life easier....sometimes not  :violent1:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

workgoats

Quote from: Ragman on March 18, 2014, 10:05:13 PM
I would like to buy a ball joint press but never have. I'm cheap and have not stepped up to the plate to buy one. The local O'reily's has free tool rental so I have just went that route. I debated on picking up a press from Harbor Freight but I have not heard good reviews on there ball joint presses. They bend or break under pressure.

I have one from Harbor Freight and it has been good for working on the Cherokee and pressing out u-joints.  I haven't had to work on a full size truck yet.

SixGun

I've seen Ron's video several times.  :thumbsup:

SixGun

:dance: Don't you just love it when parts show up.

TRW lower ball joints, Moog upper ball joints with sleeves, Sunex sleeve socket, ATS
U-bolts for Jungles flip plate.

SixGun

Spent a little time working on the 91 D44.  I'm pulling the knuckles, axles and spindles to swap onto the 76 D44.  I was able to get the drivers side done but it got dark and the spindle was stubborn on the passenger side. That was the hardest part trying to get the spindle to separate from the knuckle.  That sucker was rusted in. Tell you what, my bfh is getting a workout on this build.  :violent1:

On a side note, I picked up a ball joint press.  Brought the axle shaft home to remove ujs.  Also brought the knuckle to R&R ball joints. Could also mount the long studs and steering block.

Spent quite a while reading about taking the 76 D44 apart today.  Not looking forward to that.  Will be changing seals on that one.

Ragman

Quote from: SixGun on March 26, 2014, 12:00:07 AM
Spent a little time working on the 91 D44.  I'm pulling the knuckles, axles and spindles to swap onto the 76 D44.  I was able to get the drivers side done but it got dark and the spindle was stubborn on the passenger side. That was the hardest part trying to get the spindle to separate from the knuckle.  That sucker was rusted in. Tell you what, my bfh is getting a workout on this build.  :violent1:

On a side note, I picked up a ball joint press.  Brought the axle shaft home to remove ujs.  Also brought the knuckle to R&R ball joints. Could also mount the long studs and steering block.

Spent quite a while reading about taking the 76 D44 apart today.  Not looking forward to that.  Will be changing seals on that one.

Best tool I own for removing stuck spindles is a 3lb lead head hammer my dad made. I just wack the spindle where the bearing doesn't seat and work my way around till it seperates from the knuckle.
1978 W150 Club Cab "Spare Change" 360/D44/D60/435/205
1963 Dodge Dart 360/833/8.75 sure grip
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9 4x4

SixGun

Got a picture or can you draw me a picture of what you are describing.

EDIT: Never mind.  I got a mental image now.  Must have been tired.  Re- read it today and see you are talking about the spindle.  I was thinking of the knuckle.  I had been pounding it along that little ridge around the flange to break it loose.  It worked on the first one but had a hell of a time with the second until I had to finally give up and say "uncle".

Thanks! I'll give that way a shot next time around.

ProjectM880

Looking Good Richard  :great:

Can't wait to start seeing pictures of the whole RAMCHARGER   :laughing4:

SixGun

I'll just glue all my pics together  :tongue3:

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on March 27, 2014, 08:34:44 PM
I'll just glue all my pics together  :tongue3:

HA HA Just messing.

Anyways I cheated on my project and told Noah to build it  ::)

SixGun

Unfortunately I don't have Team Dodge Whisperer working on mine.

Just plugging along learning as I go.  It will get there eventually.  :BangHead:

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on March 27, 2014, 11:11:52 PM
Unfortunately I don't have Team Dodge Whisperer working on mine.

Just plugging along learning as I go.  It will get there eventually.  :BangHead:

Ive been there before and still there......... Look at all the progress ive made on the M880  :lol_hitting: