News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Welcome back Carter

Started by SixGun, June 06, 2014, 11:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on August 03, 2014, 02:45:40 PMalso do you really need a power steering cooler? my 93 is the first vehicle i have ever seen with one.

Big MEATS and a lift?  YES.
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

crazzywolfie

it is only a 2wd ramcharger. i don't really see a 2wd ramcharger needing one that bad.
Quote from: SixGun on August 03, 2014, 04:07:05 PM
I've wondered about the need for a PS cooler also. I wonder why the factory put them on later years? I wonder if there are any studies on this? I personally wonder if it is linked to towing? This truck had been used for towing. Ernest felt that some things were tied to the truck running hot with the cracked block.  He figured they were throwing parts at it to try and solve it. Multiple thermostats, freeze plugs fans and radiator removed. I don't remember if I mentioned it but the thermostat was removed. Old school tactic that with the radiator removed, mice got into the block. There was acorns and nesting materials in the water jackets that we cleaned out with the pressure washer. Funny shit  :laughing7:
ya that seems to be the way it works sometimes. throw parts at something to fix it. could remove them and see how it runs temp wise.

SixGun

I really don't think I'll need the electric fans with the 7 blade factory fan with HD fan clutch.Radiator has been cleaned out also.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

as long as it keeps the truck cool that is all that matters. the rad in my 81 is getting older and you can see some calcium build up in it but it still manages to keep my truck cool

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on August 03, 2014, 05:21:32 PM
it is only a 2wd ramcharger. i don't really see a 2wd ramcharger needing one that bad.

Maybe it aspires to more...  :laughing7:

SixGun

Heres some pics before and after removing the electric fans. Marked all the wires in case I want to use them in the future. You can see the 2 coolers. Larger top one for trans and smaller one on bottom for PS. Washed a lot of crud and leaves out of there.

After taking another look at the rear axle, apparently it is a 2.94? gear ratio. Even worse than I thought. Ryan that 9-1/4 is sounding better. 3.55 would be a big improvement.

Spent some time repairing the stereo wiring. It was really butchered. For now, I just used some spare stereo equipment laying around so I could put the dash face back in.

Lastly, moved the sway bar from the D150 to Carter.

The War Wagon

Quote from: SixGun on August 08, 2014, 07:24:53 PMAfter taking another look at the rear axle, apparently it is a 2.94? gear ratio. Even worse than I thought. Ryan that 9-1/4 is sounding better. 3.55 would be a big improvement.

I tell you what - running 35's, I can't believe I ever CONSIDERED 4.10's - I went 4.56, and am REALLY starting to wish I'd gone 4.88 instead!  T'ain't no such thing as too MUCH gear... unless of course, they DON'T fit inside the carrier...  :tongue3:

QuoteSpent some time repairing the stereo wiring. It was really butchered. For now, I just used some spare stereo equipment laying around so I could put the dash face back in.

I'm glad you posted that last pic - with the fuse box flopping off the brake pedal!  And here I thought mine was somehow "broken," because it did the same!  :icon_scratch:

SixGun

30 years of people hacking on wiring really makes a mess. The electric fans had wires strewn around the engine compartment also.  The brake controller has wiring I want to keep for now. I have 2 wires that I can't ID in the dash wiring. One is a ground strap hangung loose behind the car stereo. Another is a white random wire running alongside one of the stereo harnesses. I'll try to take a pic later so someone might ID it.

The War Wagon

Quote from: SixGun on August 09, 2014, 10:17:27 AMI have 2 wires that I can't ID in the dash wiring. One is a ground strap hangung loose behind the car stereo. Another is a white random wire running alongside one of the stereo harnesses. I'll try to take a pic later so someone might ID it.

Having JUST installed the stereo in my RC, I can tell you that I UTILIZED that grounding strap again!  ;D

Don't recall seeing ANY white wires in MY dash... but then, it still had the factory stereo.  That sounds 'aftermarket' to me.

crazzywolfie

Quote from: The War Wagon on August 09, 2014, 12:35:50 AM

I tell you what - running 35's, I can't believe I ever CONSIDERED 4.10's - I went 4.56, and am REALLY starting to wish I'd gone 4.88 instead!  T'ain't no such thing as too MUCH gear... unless of course, they DON'T fit inside the carrier...  :tongue3:
you also have a A518 which is different than a 727. 3.55 gears should be more than fine on 2wd vehicle with a 727 trans. i got 3.23 gears in my 81 and the engine was only spinning at about 3400rpm at 90mph which makes it pretty good for highway driving without overdrive. 3.55 gears would also be ok for highway driving.

Quote from: SixGun on August 09, 2014, 10:17:27 AM
30 years of people hacking on wiring really makes a mess. The electric fans had wires strewn around the engine compartment also.  The brake controller has wiring I want to keep for now. I have 2 wires that I can't ID in the dash wiring. One is a ground strap hangung loose behind the car stereo. Another is a white random wire running alongside one of the stereo harnesses. I'll try to take a pic later so someone might ID it.
the ground strap bolts to the back of the stereo.

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on August 09, 2014, 03:42:09 PM
you also have a A518 which is different than a 727. 3.55 gears should be more than fine on 2wd vehicle with a 727 trans. i got 3.23 gears in my 81 and the engine was only spinning at about 3400rpm at 90mph which makes it pretty good for highway driving without overdrive. 3.55 gears would also be ok for highway driving.

Betcha could bark 'em shifting manually through all three gears with 4.88's though!  :tongue3:

rjtx667

bark 'em and not be able to pass a gas station maybe?  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

i think barking em would be an understatement with 4.88 gears. i know someone on another forum that has a 76 d200 with 4.10 gears and he says it is usually pretty up there rpm wise when driving the speed limit on those Texas highways.

SixGun

Last week it hovered around 100* and this week has been over 100*.  Today it rains.  Weather gods must favor Ford or Chevy.  Can't rain for long though, this is Texas after all.  :laughing7:

Just completed the rebuild on the passenger side suspension. New ball joints, lower and upper control arm bushings, 2" lift coil spring spacer and shocks. Parts are fairly cheap through Rockauto but labor is a pita. Might just stop here and only lift one side lol.  Yeah right, I'm just riding out the rain for now. Can you see the difference front to rear. Its amazing what a difference 2" makes.  Just ask your wife or girlfriend, I'm sure they'll agree.  :nono:

The War Wagon

Quote from: SixGun on August 12, 2014, 01:15:51 PMIts amazing what a difference 2" makes.  Just ask your wife or girlfriend, I'm sure they'll agree.  :nono:

Funny thing about that.  I already have my obituary planned already - even down to the cause of death... "caused in part due to complications following his third penis reduction surgery..."   8)