News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1982 Ramcharger

Started by taz_man440, October 07, 2014, 02:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taz_man440

Yea, seen that.. i shouldn't have to mess with it right? Im just going from a ramsey that mounted from front to a bottom mount..  My winch mount for the Ramsey was very sturdy on the front and the floor was just there to keep stuff from getting into the winch. After my modification it has a sturdy bottom in it..  i came real close to making a receiver mount, but then extra expense of wiring connections, then wiring the rear, then wiring the 06 rear for emergency situations.  Kinda would have snowballed$$$ lol
2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

rjtx667

Your not joking... wiring for a winch on either end is expensive... and I have not even done any wires on the towing truck.. I am getting ready to figure out how to stick a battery on the trailer and a receiver up top to winch onto the trailer and just charge the battery from there.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

taz_man440

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 23, 2015, 10:14:13 PM
Your not joking... wiring for a winch on either end is expensive... and I have not even done any wires on the towing truck.. I am getting ready to figure out how to stick a battery on the trailer and a receiver up top to winch onto the trailer and just charge the battery from there.

I was thinking about designing a receiver mount with a 2" ball in front so I could hook up to trailer & have the winch between tow vehicle & trailer.... ( not to be towed with just to load)  Winch vehicle on any trailer, (not just your trailer) .. But then I decided to just go with a permanent mount and be done with it...   If ya think about it, a trailer winch normally wouldn't have to be over say a 2k winch. ( like a 4 wheeler winch).  If you needed to use a snatch block & double the line..
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

ProjectPW

Quote from: taz_man440 on March 23, 2015, 11:24:16 PM
I was thinking about designing a receiver mount with a 2" ball in front so I could hook up to trailer & have the winch between tow vehicle & trailer.... ( not to be towed with just to load)  Winch vehicle on any trailer, (not just your trailer) .. But then I decided to just go with a permanent mount and be done with it...   If ya think about it, a trailer winch normally wouldn't have to be over say a 2k winch. ( like a 4 wheeler winch).  If you needed to use a snatch block & double the line..

Now there is a good idea  :thumbsup:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

SixGun

A full size steel cable winch on a receiver mount is one heavy sumbitch.

:nono:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

taz_man440

Got it delivered today.. Box was rather beat up but everything was there & intact. just need to get it bolted down & roller mounted. Gotta do a lil trimming where the roller mounts.

One question for you guys that have one of these... The instructions say to connect the ground straight to the battery.. Did you guys do that or would a bumper ground be good enough.. Just curious....
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

rjtx667

I did mine to the battery. might have been cheaper if the other works.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

i personally would not rely solely on the body ground. you could possibly fry your body ground wires that way. i think even the stock ground wire that runs to the block might even be a bit small for the power that the winch would draw. straight to the battery would be the correct way to do it.

SixGun

Both winches I have say straight to battery. Both had plenty long enough thick gauge wire.

I read a shootout in these winches.  Some are more susceptible to water including Badlands.  I'd keep a cover on it just in case. Eve though it never rains in Houston area anyways lol.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectPW

I use the driver side frame rail as my full length ground wire... I have the Battery mounted in the front of the bed with 2 gauge positive leads going to the winch quick disconnects front and rear. The battery has a 2 gauge lead going to the frame rail for grounding the entire system directly under the battery. the quick disconnects have there ground side also attached to the frame rail at the front and rear of the truck... Engine is also grounded through the frame rail, as is the the cab,bed and core support.... Works flawlessly and I am pretty sure the winch could possibly pull the truck in 1/2 given the right combination of unstoppable forces/immovable objects  :headbang:

Of course this is all centered around the fact that my battery is in the bed.... Given the fact that your battery is in the factory location and the winch will not be going anywhere attaching the ground wire to the battery is the best/easiest option It also will provide the absolute best path for current to travel and a long lasting winch  :thumbsup:

taz_man440

Thanks guys... I'm gonna build & install a second battery tray on the passenger side & wire 2 batteries  together. ( did that to the old crew & workwd great) Gonna put the winch on the passenger battery also. Just wanted some opinions...
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

rjtx667

I was lazy, I just turned the battery sideways and stuck another right next to it and used some cargo straps to hold them down good.

It has worked great for me so far, and was easier than trying to fab another tray on the passenger side. I have them tied together, and the truck runs on the back battery, the winch on the front.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Yep a second battery is in my long term plans also... Very good idea, especially if the truck don't run in a bad spot. Winching will kill a battery very quickly if you are not careful

rjtx667

Quote from: ProjectPW on March 26, 2015, 11:31:01 AM
especially if the truck don't run in a bad spot. Winching will kill a battery very quickly if you are not careful

Thats why I like my MPFI  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

taz_man440

This ram is running g a quadrajunk carb & I have had some really extreme angles with no problems... Very prod of it...even if it ain't MPFI..lol
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project