News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RAMM'D 150

Started by SixGun, September 25, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

i don't think starting fluid would hurt anything. have you given the truck a good run lately or have you just been idling it in the driveway? could possibly be the reason most people recommend going with oem ntk brand o2 sensor.

SixGun

I remember you mentioning the NTK's but when I look them up at Advance Auto they list about 25 different styles that are not necessarily a direct fit and they would have to be ordered so I wouldn't be able to verify the plug style.  I don't want to cut and splice. 
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

NTK Part # 23023. that is the part number on rock auto and they only show the 1. too bad you didn't live closer. i still got the old one from my RC and it seemed to run fine with it. i also think depending on what brand you order effects how long the wires are.

SixGun

Thanks again Mat   :icon_salut:

crazzywolfie

i wonder how so much fuel got into the oil? usually the fuel would have to sit a bit to seep past the rings.

SixGun

SixGun

That O2 from Rock Auto is $28 and when I looked it up at Advance Auto it was $70 - YIKES  :sign0135:  It was a 5 star item but too much dinero for me.  Back to the JY idea first.

crazzywolfie

maybe after you change the oil you should take it for a good drive and see if it is still running rich. maybe the gas got in the oil when you where having that fuel pump issue. gas in the oil might cause it to run rich. i think i remember my exhaust smelling a bit richer when there was more gas in the oil than there should be. i also found the plugs use to turn black when i use to just let the truck idle in the driveway and not driving it.

SixGun

The way it was running, I didn't want to take it too far from home.  Around the neighborhood and within a mile from home was it.  Kept wanting to take it the 5 mile trip to the gas station as a test drive but more than anything, I was scared of it breaking down again.  Kinda lost faith since it's never left me stranded anywhere before even though I've had some precarious moments.  A 5 gal can only goes so far but I did notice that my gas gauge seems to be working.  I haven't filled it past a half tank though which will be the true test of it working correctly or not.

Now I have the water leak issue to deal with too.  Hopefully it's not the water pump.  I noticed it leaking from the front of the engine along the oil pan and down the back of the block to the ground.  Lots to check tomorrow.  I almost finished up the gas tank shield today also.  Drill 2 more holes and it's done.  I cleaned and painted it the other day.  Today I mocked it up and drilled frame holes.  I'll take some pics tomorrow.

SixGun

I finished up the gas tank shield today.  The nose of the tank was closed in using an extra gas tank front bracket, a scrap piece of sheet metal that was used on the belly of the tank and a reformed RC exhaust heat shield. 

1) I took the heat shield and reformed it into an L shape and trimmed one of the bolt tabs to fit into the front gas tank bracket.  This tab was bolted down using the existing bolt for the gas tank strap.

2) I used a couple of left over torx screws to hold the piece of sheet metal in place screwed through the extra tank bracket picked up at the local pick-n-pull.  The sheet metal is tucked into the gap of the original gas tank bracket's recessed lip.

3) The other 2 bolts were bolted through the new bracket.  The heat shield has a long tab with 2 bolt holes already that bolted to the frame.  Re-used the bolts and drilled holes in the bracket.  The bracket already has a recessed lip that it fit perfectly.  I made sure to put the bolts/ screws face up so they don't snag anything or get bent.

SixGun

So I finished pulling the damper, crank pulley, and timing cover off and found that the chain is pretty much stretched and loose.  Ordered one from Oreilly auto parts today.  Cloyes roller chain C3028X  http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/CLO0/C3028X/02388.oap?year=1998&make=Dodge&model=Durango&vi=1314463&ck=Search_C0422_1314463_-1&pt=C0422&ppt=C0141

I don't know if you guys ever use Advance Auto but if you order online with the code at the top of the page and pick it up at the store you get 15% off the order.  I've done this on quite a few occasions.  Picked up the Felpro gasket set for the timing cover and it was only $15 that way. 

It was fairly cool this morning and a few minutes after pulling the timing cover off it started pouring down rain.  Need the rain but just not today... oh well.  Nice and steamy later when temp went over 100* again. 

rjtx667

can't say I am surprised the chain was sloppy, its 22 years old and 16xk miles or more?

I am sad to see you fighting so many issues on the engine. It ran good for me, but then again I think you have ran it more than I did at this point.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Well to be honest, I am fighting the heat more than the truck.  I'm sure it's licked just been too tired after working all day to get out in the heat.  It's crunch time and need to just do it.  I didn't realize the motor had that many miles.  Looked pretty clean for the most part.  If I had known that, I would have done a gasket overhaul before putting it in.  Oh well, when I first bought the truck, it took a good couple of years to work out all the bugs.  It's only been 7 months.  I did find the leak BTW.  It was a hidden cut in the bypass hose on the water pump.  Dripped over the top of the timing cover and then ran along the edge of the oil pan and onto the converter access plate and then to the ground. Picked up the coolant and hose today.

rjtx667

yeah those bypass hoses can be a real pita

hope you got time to get it all back together for next weekend  :headbang:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I start vacation Tuesday so plenty of time.  I want to get some work done on the Ramcharger too this week.  I've had this Rough Country 4" lift staring at me in the living room.  I don't even want to put it away.  Out of sight - out of mind you know.  I want to use the truck to take my compressor to the inlaws with all my junk and new toys. I've got faith that it's fixed but like I said - I just need to button it all up and fill fluids.  Probably charge the battery too.  It's gonna be HOT but wouldn't miss Ram Jam unless it was an emergency.  Be nice if it rained again like our last outing.  That was something else.   :steeringwheel: